Customer reviews

on 3 September 2015
Good book
on 26 October 2013
A brilliant little book; if you are not already a surf aficionado you will be once you've read this. It doesn't matter if you are new to the sport or are in fact a skilled partaker, this is a book to surprise and enjoy. The author gives us some little known surfing facts to regale fellow surfers with and in so doing lists the do and don'ts of becoming an insider in this joyous sport. A gift from the publisher.
on 16 April 2014
This is a funny, informative book. Having grown up in the 1960's southern California surfing culture, I was amazed at how much has changed over the years. Someone who is really serious about bluffing his/her way into today's surfing scene would benefit from this book. Keep in mind, however, that eventually bluffers will encounter REAL DIE-HARD surfers who will call them out in an unrelenting fashion. At that point, bluffers have to put up or shut up, so it might be a good idea to really learn how to surf. Besides, a bluffer never gets to experience firsthand the tremendous thrills, chills, and joys of the sport!
on 11 April 2014
This guide is righteous. It will tell you everything you could possibly need to, want to, or not want to know about surfing, in short order. It hold a lot of information on all aspects of surfing, from sharks to boards to history to what to wear. I appreciated the tone of the guide, but it is not for everyone. It is rather irreverent, a bit haughty. I suppose it would appeal to sarcastic sorts. If you want to hack your way into the surfing world or not seem like a complete idiot your first time out, this is a handy guide.

*I did receive the book as an ARC.
on 28 July 2015
I feel like one of the cool kids now :) In all seriousness this book was AMAZING! super witty read with heaps of lol moments. Can't wait to hit the beach :)
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2013
Disclosure: I was kindly offered a copy of this book by the publishers in exchange for a review.

I'm currently writing a piece of fiction in which one of the characters is a surfer, so when the publishers of the Bluffer's Guides contacted me with an offer to review some of their titles, I jumped at the chance of educating myself on the subject of surfing. I can't even swim, so you can imagine my base level.

The Bluffer's Guides are short guides designed you to give you a basic knowledge on the most disparate subjects, so that you can, well, bluff your way through a conversation. That's the theory, anyway. I suspect that this would be a lot easier for subject such as jazz (the next title I am going to review for the series)The Bluffer's Guide to Jazz (Bluffer's Guides) - when it comes to surfing, I am pretty sure that the moment someone throws me into the water, my bluff will be up.

The guide was a lot of fun to read, even for someone as ignorant in the subject as I am. The style is always humorous, often poking fun at surfers' jargon and lifestyle. I have actually learned a fair bit from this 100-odd pages book - I know about Point Breaks, Slabs and Wedges. I am confident that I can spot a longboarder and identify him/her as an eccentric; I am even familiar with Huey, the Australian pagan God of surfing.

My only criticism would be that the name-dropping chapters barely glossed over the presence female surfers - who are most definitely out there and no longer relegated to just a niche category. But we'll forgive the author this time - maybe something to consider for the next edition?
on 11 April 2014
I love this book so much It was so funny and yet I learned a lot about surfing that I would have never learned had I tried to go about it any other way! The writing was witty and I feel like it's an inside joke now, when I talk to people about surfing and they act as though I'm an expert! I reccomend this book to anyone I meet now it's so much fun!