on 13 August 2015
I bought thus purely on the strength of the reviews and while it has it's moments I've never really taken to it. The arrangements are nice but the whole thing feels so soporific at times it feels like it's going to collapse under it's own laid backness. I find his incredibly mannered vocal style gets wearying very quickly and it just sounds like an inferior retread of something like Dr John, without really bringing anything new to the party.
Despite me praising the arrangements I wonder if this would have worked better if it had been a bit more sparse and direct sounding. At times it's like wading through aural treacle-White doesn't sound like he can stay awake and I had difficulty doing the same while listening.
Big Love however is ace and the standout moment of this album by a country mile.
on 12 January 2017
This is a great album,if you don't know him I suggest checking him out on you tube as I did and eventually I had to buy the album and so glad I did.
on 28 January 2013
Stick with this album, give it 5 or 6 listens, and you start to realise why Matthew White and this album is receiving great reviews everywhere.
The reviews reference Muscle Shoals, Southern Funk, Curtis soul, and on first listen you may expect this album to jump out and grab you, but it's alot more subtle and rewarding than that.
After the 3rd or 4th listen you begin to hear the horns more, the amazing string arrangements come to the fore, and the groove is always there, just under the surface.
6th listen it's on constant repeat, and you are in, it's a keeper.
on 4 July 2013
Love this C D, great voice, ,has lyric sheet included too , not sure if Matt is Religious, I am not but liked the songs a lot,
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 February 2013
Mr White's debut is a cross section of all things great in music; lush strings, rising horns, gospel tinges and some wonderful arranging, guitar work and of course the voice. Many influences to these ears ranging from trippy country soul/R n B/Curtis Mayfield to Madchester/Primal Scream lovelyness! Only seven tracks, but a deep, full and spiritual album.
on 24 April 2013
I took a chance on this album after hearing a track on the radio, it's a good album, favourite track being 'BigLove' I would highly recommend this album.
on 26 August 2014
Big noise. Big let down.
on 23 April 2013
I am loving it! It's such a great mix of different types of music, but all the while very modern. Amazing songs, brilliant performance - defs a fave of the year so far.
on 22 October 2014
A real gem
on 23 May 2015
Taking me some time to get into it....but the more you listen the better it gets