TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 September 2013
Hard to find the LEGO advent calendars last year and so I'm taking no chances this year and buying them in plenty of time. We've been buying LEGO advent calendars for the last few years, one each for my great niece and my great nephew, and they've become something of a family tradition which is really nice.

My great nephew has just turned 6 and he's having this LEGO City calendar because he likes the action/cops/robbers/adventure themes. My great niece is 7, a real girly/girl, and I'm buying her a LEGO Friends advent calendar as she's into anything pink, purple and 'best friends' related.

Inside this calendar are 24 different pieces of LEGO each in it's own compartment waiting to be opened on the run up to Christmas day - in the same manner as a traditional advent calendar. This year my nephew will be even more impressed as he collects LEGO mini figures and there are 8 included with the calendar - I particularly like the little 'robber' in his stripey shirt however; there are also Christmas figures in the form of Santa and a Snowman.

There are lots of little bits and pieces to build up including a robot and a Christmas Tree but he's going to more impressed by the tiny train and sausage barbecue. My only criticism would have to be; there are only two mini figures, Stephanie and Lily, in the LEGO Friends Calendar and yet there are 8 in this one - doesn't seem fair as kids love the figures.

I like the LEGO advent calendars. They last for longer than the traditional chocolate variety because the fun's not over once the sweeties run out. The pieces in each calendar are compatible with other LEGO kits and the bits and pieces fit in nicely with other building projects. Quality toy and I'm happy to recommend.

One word of advice; the calendars are targeted at the 5 - 12 age group because the little pieces would be so easy for a younger child to swallow, etc.
on 8 December 2013
I got a Lego city advent calendar and a Playmobil calendar this year and I am happy with both. The kids love opening the calendars each morning to find out what is inside and there is always something for the children to make and play with.

The only problem I have with the Lego advent calendar is that there is only a 2D scene to place all the figures on whereas the Playmobil advent calendar provides a 3D scene which makes it look a lot more impressive.

This is the first year I've bought the Lego calendar and as it does show what looks like a 3D house on the front of the box, I was a little disappointed with what I found (especially as it was more expensive).

Anyway, the kids have built their own lego house to put everything in and it doesn't take anything away from the fun of what it actually inside the calendar, I just think if there was a 3D scene to place everything, the fun could be enhanced.
on 24 January 2014
The best advent calendar to date. My son was never disapointed with the little gifts that came out daily. Well worth the money.
Provided he's still into lego next year, will get another for him.
on 3 January 2014
Have bought Lego advent calendar every year since first came out can't wait for next one not only better for activity everyday but a good keepsake as well highly recommend better than chocolate each day
on 14 November 2013
this is the first time that I have bought this item it arrived on time and packed really well.
From what I have seen inside it is really excellent our grandson will love it as he is just old enough now to
play with lego..I will be buying next year aswell.
on 24 December 2014
Got this for Christmas 2014 and couldn't be happier.
I'm not sure if this is a generic set Lego do every year or just a left over from 2013 or previous years but I picked it over what apparently is 2014's city or the Star Wars versions for looking more christmassy.

It was a massive hit with our five year old boy and I was pleasantly surprised when he opened the doors to find some of the little packs had doubled and sometimes tripled up on accessories. Santa himself came with three hats and two beards. I'm not sure if this is intended or a mistake by Lego but he now has multiple burglar hats/ fireman hats/baseball caps, top hats and dog bones to play with in his other sets.
on 7 December 2013
This has been a great buy for my boys (I did wait til it was reduced as I couldn't justify it for full price). I don't like chocolate advent calendars (they get enough treats already - plus we have an eternal door calendar we take it in turns to do as a family that I put sweets in) so this year I bought this as an alternative. It's helped encourage my boys to share (useful in the run up to christmas) as they take it in turns - whoever doesn't open this opens a normal picture calendar. They have great fun using their imagination & working together to create the scene each day too.
All the quality you expect from Lego and a great addition to our Christmas tradition.
Good quality, encourages sharing, creativity & imagination - couldn't ask for more!
on 16 December 2014
This was bought for my nephew and niece (aged 6 and 5), who are staying with me for a while. They genuinely seem to enjoy finding out what's behind the doors, and playing with the items they find.

What impressed me was the speed of delivery, I've Prime (I don't know if that helped), but they delivered it on a Sunday.

My only grumble would be that the presents/prizes aren't very Christmasy.
on 21 February 2014
I think these are brilliant ideas for parents who don't want to stuff their child with chocolate everyday or for a child with allergies or special dietary needs. The only downfall can be the cost but I worked out it was much cheaper than making my own would be & I didn't really have the time to make one so this was ideal. Brilliant idea & my children looked forward to finding out what the next item was more than they would a piece of choccy, although at times they were a little disappointed in the actual items- perhaps items based on a storyline would be good - like the pictures on the covers predict really. Overall much better than the usual advent. :-)
on 4 December 2013
My daughter is 3 and now on day 4 is loving finding the new things behind each door. Together we can build and appreciate the set growing. We thought this would be an interesting way to see if she'd enjoy Lego projects for the future and thus makes an excellent starter set to collect. There also seems to be spare parts added to each bag, for example the policeman on day one had a spare mug and hat, handy for any losses and as compatible with all other Lego will go toward making a bigger set. (we've put them to one side for now)

We have invested in a board to go with this also, which I hope arrives soon, as I said we're new to Lego and loose bits won't last long in our house without one!

See one answered question