Top positive review
71 people found this helpful
only 2 mini dolls in this advent calendar
on 20 September 2013
*** PLEASE NOTE: This review will contain content SPOILERS ***
I admit that I was a little disappointed with the Lego Friends 2013 Advent Calendar.
As with other advent calendars it has 24 windows to open and, in the case of Lego, it has a Lego item or a build behind each door.
So why the disappointment?
- there are only 2 mini dolls (the blonde Stephanie and the black haired Lily) with the "City" and "Star Wars" advent calendars you usually get about 8 mini figures so to find that there are only 2 mini dolls in the set was a big disappointment to the Lego fan who received this. (Our Lego fan was given her calendar early due to illness and adult incompetence.)
~ Stephanie - blonde - this is a nice figure - lilac cardigan/jacket - pale blue skirt and scarf - white leggings - dark grey boots - nice printing over front torso.
~ Lily - 1st appearance in a Lego Friends build - black hair tied in a pony tail - red skirt and leggings (which were also in last year's Friends Advent calendar) - black boots - white jumper with a red reindeer pattern on it. The Lily figure is very nice, but the recipient thought it was just an Emma variation until we pointed out that it had different hair (Emma having loose flowing black hair and Lily having black hair in a ponytail) so we have decided that Lily must be Emma's sister.
Some of the builds are all right and others are ... well it took several of us to try and decide what they were supposed to be (not in any particular order):
- Christmas tree
- snowman - light purple hat and orange/red scarf, comes with a yard brush. There is no face printing.
- frozen water fountain.
- there are two stands: 1 with a pink roof with red flowers on the front and 1 with a blue roof with a green branch on the front. Each stand is a separate day build.
- brown squirrel - same as in the "squirrel's tree house" build.
- a bag of purple accessories - it would have been nice if they could have done red or white rather than the purple which come with the individual set - last year's accessories were a pastel green colour. You also receive 2 pairs of ice skates for your mini-dolls to use.
- street lamppost with pink topper and green branch.
- snow mobile and towing platform for snow mobile (2 separate builds).
- i-pod with docking station.
- perfume and make up bottles.
- 2 drinks cups, a milk carton and a flask.
- 3 presents (2 builds).
- pink bag with money.
- flowers on white and brown flat bricks.
- sheet music and a black and orange bottle thing.
- flaming bin/beacon.
- brown and pink box with an open top and a brown cube type thing which we decided must be either a storage tub for the ice skates or for the purple accessories.
- box with a green branch for your squirrel to sit in.
The box makes a skating rink but if you use it to stand your pieces on then they will probably fall over when you try to open the next door on the calendar and unless you wait the box and the flap you can find the flap flies up and catapults your pieces across the table top and to the floor.
Many of these items can be added to other builds in the Friend's series, but as individual "presents" in the advent calendar they are a little disappointing - such as using the troughs with the vet build, the sheet music in the school, and so on.
There are no piece by piece building instructions with any of the items so a newer/younger Lego fan may need a little help to put them together. You do get an image of what the pieces are supposed to look like on the back of the "door" on the calendar.
At an RRP of 19.99 for 213 pieces (and only 2 mini dolls) it is an excellent 9.4 pence per piece. It's a shame that there are only 2 mini-dolls, as it leaves that feeling that the girls are getting stiffed by the content of the calendar.