on 10 June 2010
The story of Robyn's eccentric and often hilariously eventful childhood in Africa weaves its way through the hot, dry landscape of Botswana, and has you wishing your family were as wonderfully different as hers and that your childhood had been as exciting. Her parents' love for their children shines through everything, and she describes the family through her mother's rather haphazard but very effective homeschooling schedule, her father's very heavy work schedule, her grandfather's devil-may-care attitude to life, her brother's fascination with things that go "boom", her sister's love of any creature, no matter how tiny, and a variety of much loved and/or respected creepy, crawly, or four legged creatures which live with them or near them, wanted or unwanted, on a daily basis.
The book brought back both happy and unhappy memories of my own childhood in South Africa, and I can thoroughly recommend reading it to anyone, as it gives you a really good insight into the realities of living in Africa as only someone who loves it can do. Highly recommended!
on 21 December 2013
A charming and enlightening description of the author's unconventional upbringing in Botswana. I found the book very absorbing and to give a fascinating account of an enviable childhood and upbringing. Readers will learn much of the flavour of life in Botswana today and much of it's recent history. I found the book riveting and it served to remind me of the month or so that my Wife and I spent exploring Botswana some ten years ago covering much of the ground covered by the author.
Highly recommended .
on 7 December 2013
As I turned each page in breathless anticipation there was the constant ache of knowing this precious story would have to end. Such an inspiring story of an unforgettable family. A truly brilliant read and as one who still saves bugs in the swimming pool, I have found a kindred spirit in Lulu.
on 26 April 2014
I was disappointed with this book. I was expecting a book about life growing up in Africa with/amongst the Africans. And from the title I expected true life with the 'twenty chickens for a saddle' being what they paid/bartered for the saddle. It was a book about growing up in Africa but it was mostly their life living on their own.
on 26 December 2013
I was interested in discovering more about Botswana after reading the 1st Ladies Detective Agency books. This book shone a different light on the country, especially as it was written from a white person's perspective and as an autobiography. I really enjoyed many aspects of the book such as the home schooling and problems with ponies but tended to skim through more political aspects. As this was bought as a Kindle Daily Deal, I was happy with the price paid, but would not have wanted to pay full price.
on 4 July 2010
I loved this book and have enjoyed passing it on to friends, all of whom have also enjoyed it immensely.

The author effortlessly draws the reader into her fascinating childhood in 1980s rural Botswana. Robyn Scott's affectionate and humorous portrait of her family led me to develop such a great affection for these eccentric and appealing characters it was a wrench to have to bid them farewell at the end of the book.

The physical landscape is painted equally vividly, and if there is a more enticing description of Botswana I have yet to read it.

Robyn Scott delicately balances the charm of her highly entertaining family and the raw beauty of the environment against the tragedy of the rampant rise of HIV which was taking place during those years.
on 28 January 2014
Quite a pleasant little story, but nothing to write home about. I can identify with some experiences as I live in South Africa. Just lost interest about half way through. Did not hold my attention.
on 3 March 2014
I had a lot of pleasure reading this book. It gave a fascinating account of an European family settling and growing up in Botswana while adapting to the culture, superstitions but above all providing for the medical needs of villagers. Up until the age of 14 the author and her siblings were taught at home by the mother. Her father was a "Flying Doctor" who set up many clinics throughout the land often in remote areas.
on 18 April 2012
I borrowed this book from my local Library, just on chance. The paperback version that I had was in rather tiny print, and hence difficult to read except in bright light. However I persisted. Thank goodness I did! It is wonderful. Please read the other positive reviews for more detail. Even better; read the book!
As a postscript: I finished it, returned it and immediately bought my own (hardback) copy.
on 5 May 2017
This is the second copy of this book I've bought its a wonderful well written, humourous story, for anyone who loves Africa or wants to learn about life in Botswana