Customer reviews

on 15 January 2013
Jessica Fox loves books, art, ideas and now Scotland. In this unusual book she talks candidly and engagingly about all her varied loves, passions but most of all her singular journey from Boston suburb via NASA and film-making to selling used books in a small Scottish town. It's a story all her own and not like any other you will read this year. Much recommended
on 10 January 2013
I really enjoyed this book, who hasn't dreamt of a new life and getting away from the rat race? A well written, insiring story from someone brave enough to do it, she went from Hollywood to remote Wigtown and found love along the way, aaw! I sat up far too late reading this story, keen to know what adventures and disasters the next chapter revealed. (The story about the waxing will make you scream.) It is also a great advert for the S.W. of Scotland! it really makes want to visit the area again.
on 13 April 2013
My husband bought me this book as he heard the author being interviewed on Radio Scotland. He thought given my birth place and my similar daydreams I would like it. I did ! The writing was beautiful and conjured up the contrast between life in LA (not that I have visited!) and life in a rural corner of Scotland.

I loved the instant bond Jessica found with Galloway and reading about that love developing in parallel with that of the relationship with Euan.

The course of true love never runs smoothly though and the ups and downs were charted very well. Life is never just about finding one thing, it is about finding several things but making sure these are things worth putting energy and time in to.

The last time I was in Wigtown was many years ago when I last lived in Galloway, so this book has wetted my whistle and I plan a trip over to the Bookshop very soon.

Well, done Jessica ! Great first book.
on 30 January 2013
News papers and Tv will have us believe that all is doom and gloom in the world today. This Memoir of Jessica's reminds us that there are more normal happy people about than we are led to believe. This is a story that exudes hope and happiness from the word go. I read it in one sitting and enjoyed every moment. If there was a book that deserved an award - then this it.
Botany Bill
on 11 October 2013
Heard the author on Radio 4 talking about this. Sounded intriguing. An Los Angeles based NASA employee transported to a small bookshop (bookstore) in a small town in South West Scotland. The highs and lows of changing your life are all here. Romanticism to realism. Naïveté, jealousy and the kindness of the human spirit are all covered off in a number of well described locations, interspersed with a range of very human and in the main likeable characters.

Recommended.

Maybe the follow up could be "The Tale of Vincent" or about the elderly lady with the umbrella who comes in to buy a book (doesn't know the title) by an author (doesn't know the name) but who aged 69, still apparently has a lust for life.
on 20 February 2013
I saw the abridged version in the mail and thought my wife will enjoy this, My wife lved the book
on 7 April 2013
I am not sure upon which shelf this book should be found, but it is a book about courage and empowerment. Jessica Fox achieved her dreams through assiduity, stubbornness and a passion to achieve her goals. This is a warm, open book and gave me an insight in relation to the power of the positive forces in our lives. We can either follow the pack or follow our hearts; Jessica followed her heart and gave us not only a wonderful book but a lesson in how we should lead our lives.
on 15 July 2013
If you loved this book, enter the Short Books Summer Competition to win a long weekend away for 2 in Wigtown where the book is set!

All you have to do is tweet us a picture of you, your copy of Three Things You Need to Know about Rockets and your favourite place to read. @shortbooksUK
Or post it to us on our facebook page: Short Books

More info here: [...]
on 29 November 2014
This is a sweet-hearted coming-of-love book which I slowly luxuriated in for a week -- no doubt because decades earlier (was it 3 or 4? . . . .hmmmmm) I had a similar cross-cultural experience (albeit from the naive male-Yank's perspective) on the other side of Scotland in the Kingdom of Fife.

Ms Fox's sense of wonder at discovering a loveable new tribe beyond the constricted US pale, and her unashamedly-described ripening maturity, confirms what my zoology teacher told me about humanity's five key mammalian survival needs: food, drink, shelter, warmth and mate.

Thus this is a story to be absorbed for its own joy and inevitable suffering, not torturously analysed for philosophical structure or its failure to meet whatever your own meagre expectations of literature might be. Just cool it, and share with Ms Fox (and her Cheshire-cat apparition called Melville) her rambling mate-search West and East. However if everything in your life has to be grim and super-serious, then I suggest you go stick your head in a bucket somewhere else :)
on 5 November 2013
I had been so absorbed while reading this that I just had to read it again without pause - and it was even better the second time!

Jessica has such a vivid and immediate writing style that she just carries you away with her.

I really hope she will follow this up with a sequel at some point.