Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 19 January 2015
I received a copy of Freak of Nature from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Kaitlyn is one of a kind, when she checked the 'donate to science' box she never expected to be given a second life, nor that that second life would be one where she was half robotics, and yet, her she is. The team of scientists behind her don't think that Kaitlyn has any emotions or human feeling left, and yet, hidden well, are those very emotions. Having become friends with Quess, and harbouring feelings for one of the scientists, Lucas, Kaitlyn's life is not what anyone expected.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I'm not too sure what to make of Freak of Nature, there were a lot of parts that I enjoyed, actually I enjoyed most of the book, but there was just something about it that didn't make it stand out for me, and I can't quite put my finger on what that is, which actually kind of frustrates me.

I'd say that Freak of Nature probably falls somewhere between mature young adult and new adult audience wise, there are a fair few moments where Kaitlyn thinks about Lucas (well and Lucas thinks about Kaitlyn) with desire and sex on the brain, though nothing is described on page. This is also taking into consideration how Kaitlyn died, and I think some of the impact could be lost on younger readers.

I liked the friendship between Kaitlyn and Quess, I thought it allowed for Kaitlyn to be herself, even if that was just a little bit awkward because she couldn't understand everything she was being told. The friendship did feel natural, and not forced, like two girls coming together because there is no one else which I do believe would happen.

The relationship between Kaitlyn and Lucas was another thing. I did like how Lucas called her Kate instead of Kaitlyn, and how he wasn't put off by her 'upgrades'. Their relationship had a sweet edge to it, even if Kaitlyn had the urge to 'rip of Lucas' clothing' (she said so several times). But after all that there's something I couldn't put my finger on in their relationship that made it seem a bit stilted, but then again maybe that was just me.

The ending worked for me as a stand alone or a series, personally I don't think I'm intrigued enough yet to pick up the sequel (though give it a few days and I may change my mind) but there were parts of it that maybe seemed a bit neat. I'm still confused by how I feel about this book. I enjoyed it, but it didn't wow me and there were bits that made me a bit underwhelmed.

Freak of Nature counts towards Winter COYER, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, Bookish Resolutions & 2015 Reading Assignment Challenge.
on 24 May 2014
The title of this book bugs me, it annoys me, it frustrates me no end - it eats away at the edges of my sanity and threatens to push me over the edge. I mean, crikey, the book is about a CYBORG - a human-machine hybrid. That means the girl is a Freak of Science. A freak of nature is - 'a person, animal, or plant with an unusual physical abnormality.' Like co-joined twins, or a person with extra limbs or toes, BUT not a person whom scientists have perverted into a freak with cybernetic implants. Arrrrrgh, every time I see the book's cover I want to dump it into Photoshop and hack and slash at the title until is says Freak of Science. How could the author not know this, not see this - worse, how could they not care that they are doing our heads in with a title that's the reverse of what it should be???!!!

Now to the book. Kaitlyn made the mistake of signing that little box saying that her body would be donated to science upon her death. What she didn't figure was that she'd be reanimated as a cyborg, with all her memories of the past removed/blocked. However, she is fully aware that this has been done to her. Now what do ya reckon her reaction to this would be? Wouldn't ya think she'd be horrified, disgusted, outraged, perhaps suicidal or psychotic? But nope to all over the above - not this girl. Her reaction is to pine for and have endless sexual fantasies for a young doctor who's partly responsible for putting her in this condition. I mean, really? She wakes up to find half her body replaced with cybernetics, and this is her reaction? I've heard of people having inappropriate or unrealistic responses and reactions to external stimuli and circumstances, but this! This reaction has got to take the oil. (I can't say 'cake,' cause, you know, she's a cyborg and she don't need to eat 'n all.) But wow, Kaitlyn's such an air head! (Even more so than I am.)

And then, in a tear filled scene, Kaitlyn wails to Lucas, "I'm just a freak of nature!" And I'm thinking, Lucas, here is chance to set her straight, to answer, "No! Not a freak of nature - we did this to you. You're a freak of science." But no, he lets her comment slide, and leaves her (and the reader, ie me!) weighed down by this false ideal that nature has somehow perverted her into this condition. Woe is me, I can't take this!

And don't get me started on Lucas. How that guy could look himself in the mirror every morning when brushing his teeth and setting his hair, I just don't know. After all he did to her, and the things he kept on doing even though his conscience pointed that accusing finger at him. But that was just the first half of the book - after that he gets to make a choice, but which side of him will win out, do you think? His conscience, or his 'I have to do the wrong thing 'cause it's my job' side?

Half way through the book things hotted up (not her body temperature though, that was regulated) and the story took a more interesting turn. And although I thought I had it all worked out, Kaitlyn (you know, the air head) had the audacity to go and surprise me and take the story in an unexpected direction. The book even had a satisfactory ending too, how's that?
on 3 April 2015
I had been meaning to read this for some time and finally completed it. The blurb should provide enough of an idea about the premise of the story.

The story itself was interesting and you soon find yourself carried along with the story and all the twists in the plot, even those some could be seen coming long before they arrive. The story was better than I had anticipated, however, towards the end of the story it takes on a very feminist stance which was unnecessary and hence I have some reservations regarding the next books in the series.
on 29 July 2015
What a great story. I've read this book in a day as it was so enthralling. Really good action from page 1, I never lost interest in the story line. Exciting with a lovely twist in the story line this book has been one of my most enjoyable reads of 2015.
on 19 February 2015
I was immediately dragged in by the cover for this book, I got this book without even reading the synopsis. I knew I would enjoy the book from the cover. It looked so interesting and you immediately wanted to know what the girls story was, what had happened to cause her to be be half cyborg.

I really enjoyed the writing style and even though it did not take me long to finish I loved every second reading this book. I felt like I was right there beside Kaitlyn, I needed to know what else was happening in her life and if she was going to get sent away. I hoped that she didn't. I am happy with how the story finished but unhappy the fact there is another book as I don't know the full story. I enjoyed Lucas's character but was unsure if their relationship blurred the ethics of the relationship and I really enjoyed her friendship with Quess and was glad that Kaitlyn had a friend she could confide in.

I really can't wait to read the next book. I would highly recommend this book to others. Five out of five stars is a given.
on 20 February 2015
An interesting read. You're left hanging at the end, which is no doubt intentional.

I got this as a free book of the day, and enjoyed it... but enough to have me hand over cash for Book 2? Hmmm... I haven't decided yet.
on 4 March 2013
This is the first book by Julia Crane that I have read and after reading Freak of Nature I am now looking forward to reading more from this author. I was not sure I was going to enjoy this book as I tend to prefer Crime/Mystery books but once I started reading I quickly got engrossed in the story and found I just didn't want to put the kindle down. The story is unusual and I can imagine lots more books to follow, well I'm hoping there is. I really enjoyed this book it was very easy to read with a gripping story line that was totally different from anything I have read before. The characters were believable as well as being lovable ....I can not wait to read the next book in this series.
Highly recommended!
on 26 January 2015
A unusal read, but was interesting and the nature of the plot / story kept it all going along , so did'nt find it boring. It was though a little obvious that this was going to be the first in a series. But for all of that I enjoyed it , a light read but worth the effort.
on 24 January 2015
Very pleasant and I kind of want to know what happens next, so that's good. I described the book to my husband and his reaction was "well, it's Robocop but with a young girl instead"... and he's right in some ways, which unfortunately did spoil it a bit for me!
on 13 January 2013
This was such a lovely story you truely get swept away in the world of Kaitlyn.The characters are engaging and the way Julia writes this story you feel all the emotion's especially Kaitlyn's.
Lucas is such a likeable character you feel for him in away his contant struggle with his feelings and the guilt he holds over Kaitlyn's is alittle heartbreaking.With the lies that have been told and her battle with hiding her true self and finding out who she was this book makes you think.Oh my god what if there is half human half robots out there.!!!