VINE VOICEon 2 February 2014
Agatha Chrisite has always seemed a bit underrated to me. Because her characters seem to lack, well.... character, she is apparently not a very good writer. But that is to fail to give her credit for clever plots, memorable detectives and some very, very inventive plots. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd amend the no know called And Then there were none were both ground breaking at the time.

This book recognises some of this inventiveness, but also casts light on many of Dame Agatha's other strengths. There are lots of fascinating snippets here. I learned a great deal about her. It does not purport to be either an autobiography or a critical appraisal, but as an account of her life and work it contains a lot of interesting and engaging material.

It is really very good.
on 16 August 2017
I found this book very interesting, it told us a lot about this author many things I did not know. I also thought the book was very
Well laid out with all its categories. She was a complex person with her shyness. For me it was a good read.
on 18 March 2013
The History Press serve up another little corker for whodunnit fans, following the success of The Sherlock Holmes Miscellany. The quote on the back (Christie doing her best thinking in the bath) is aptly chosen as this tactile tome will no doubt become a bathtime favourite.

Neither a stuffy academic journal nor a wikipedia entry, fans will find their own level amongst the well worn anecdotes and the more obscure trivia. I've read about two thirds of the queen of crime's output, and her autobiography, and still found plenty of interest here. Broken down into neat sections that run for a couple of pages or a few paragraphs (biggest real life coincidence of characters, Poirot's eating habits, etc), it's endlessly pick-upable.

A bit like a well run book club, the tone is conversational but well informed and Cathy Cook clearly knows her stuff. As with all good miscellanies, it gives you the appetite to reread the source material: even the most knowledgeable fan is bound to be engaged by the Poirot vs Marple chapter (I love Poirot, but it's Marple for me every time!). A treat to be read and reread!
on 14 June 2013
I bought this fasinating book at the airport and it kept me entertained during my four hour flight.

I found out so much about Christie and was intrigued to discover how her mind worked.The pictures and illustrations were lovely and I learnt so much about the mystery lady.

I would highly reccomend this book to my family and friends. Thank you to the author Cathy Cook for sharing these fasinating facts. A great read. My only complaint was that it wasn't longer. Hope we can expect volume two in the future.
on 9 June 2013
Don't let the boring cover put you off this is a fascinating little book.
I heard an interview with the author Cathy Cook on Radio Essex and found her so interesting and delightful that I immediately placed an order and was fascinated with the facts she revealed. Great to pick up and put down, this is a perfect gift for any Christie fan
on 21 June 2013
I chose this rating because I am a fan of agatha christie and the book was excellent.
I would recommend it to any crime reader.
on 30 April 2013
Great little book. Full of facts. Easy to pick up and put down whenever you want and turn to any page. A fun book.
on 6 July 2013
Great an Enjoyable and interesting read for any Agatha Christie Fan.

Lots of facts I did not know would recommend.
on 28 August 2013
Ideal for someone who has everything and I bought this for my dad on Father's Day this year. Highly recommended for the Agatha Christie fan
on 23 April 2013
Always a fan of Agatha Christie, I chose this book to add to my collection. It is interesting and well written and explains a lot of background to the stories.