Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Size: 8.5 UK|Colour: Grey|Change
Price:£66.00 - £232.40

on 7 February 2013
I'm now on my 8th pair of Salomon Speedcross in six years so think I've worked out what's good and bad about them! I typically run around 100 miles per month in them, almost all off road, anything up to marathon distance.

Good: Light weight; excellent grip in mud or wet grass; top multi terrain shoe; sufficient cushioning to allow you to run two or three miles on tarmac without it feeling too hard; when they do get wet, they dry very quickly.

Not quite so good: Watch out for the grip on wet concrete. The sole on the Speedcross 3 is harder wearing than the Speedcross 2, but this means it can be a little slippery on some harder surfaces

Bad: The only fault that I've found it that they develop holes in the uppper mesh close to where your little toe would be. This is especially the case if mud is allowed to dry on the mesh. Every pair of Speedcross I've owned has failed in the same place and once it goes you need to throw them away! I suggest you make sure you always wash the mud off after a run to protect the uppers and give them long life.
44 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2012
I had these bought for me as a gift and at first was sceptical. Having tried other Salomon shoes such as 3D ultra which I hated and use only for gardening I gave them a try.... What a shoe!! Lightweight, plenty of support and cushioning and loads of grip. I love this shoe.. I have since bought another pair and also the Speedcross 3 CS which has even more grip. I have been converted to Salomon.. Sorry Inov8. You need to raise your game!
on 15 August 2013
I have had four or five pairs of these over the previous two or three years and can say without doubt that they are the most comfortable trial shoes I have worn. I tried a few others including some of the other Solomon ones but keep coming back to these.

My only comment would be that firstly, they are a little prone to splitting where the toe guard meets the mesh on the top. I have ripped a couple of pairs when running in the same place.

The quick lace system is great to use but a complete pain to replace if it breaks. I have only replaced one so far. It keeps the shoes on tightly and I have used them for Mudrunner in Hereford where they are submerged in very sticky mud and have never had concerns over them staying on my feet.

I find I need to buy a size bigger than my usual shoes. I think the splitting on the side is partly due to the fact I have been purchasing the wrong size. I use mine three to four times a week and they get soaked through, They shrink a little when they dry out and I think this may be the reason you need to by a size bigger.

The grips on the bottom are great off road but beware that over wet wooded bridged or wet roads they are a little slippery.

Update December 2013
I just cannot bring myself to buy any further pairs of these trial shoes. Yes they are extremely comfortable and the grip is fantastic but I think they are inherently faulty.

I use mine four times a week and I participate in 6-7 mud running type events a year. I clean these off after every event and then use a small shoe dryer to dry them out before the next time I use them.

I purchased these in June 2013 and they have gradually worn through in exactly the same place as they always do which is on the upper mesh on the right hand shoe. Now I am guessing that this has something to do with the shape of my foot and/or the way I run because they always split on the outside of the right hand shoe. This is clearly no coincidence as this is now the 5th pair of these I have owned and all of them have gone in the same place. I know that I split two pairs by catching them on rocks/tree roots. But the others have all simply worn out in the same place. The rest of the shoe looks pretty much like new as I keep them clean after each use.

Perhaps I am being unrealistic in terms of how long they should last. Perhaps six months with the level of use they get is all I can expect. Wither way I cannot justify spending the money on another pair and need to look elsewhere.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2013
I just recieved these 3 days ago and after a couple of days of wearing them about the house I decided to go for my first run in them - 5 miles across farmers fields in the snow :o)

As soon as you put these on you can appreciate what a quality pair of shoes they are. A snug fit, very comfortable and I had no problems at all in my first run. The lacing system works well and is not too fiddly. The shoes may be water resistant but are not water proof. The dried out easily enough overnight.

The grip is very good and helped alot over the snow followed by icy canal paths and muddy puddles. If you are looking for a pair of off-road shoes then I would recommend these with out hesitation.
on 15 April 2016
Owned 2 pairs and at first loved them for comfort and being water proof.
I run 3 to 4 miles 5 days a week over wet and muddy fields and tracks. Perform well but after 4 months developed holes in the creases where the bend of your toes meets the main body of the foot. This is partically a week area on all shoes but i think for that money, this is poor.
I reccommend these for walking and wearing all day but are not sturdy enough for trail running.
I changed to Adidas gtx and all problems solved.
on 24 May 2015
As with so many, not my first pair of salomon speedcross. I actually dont run in them after a particularly hairy winter run on a particularly icy road. However as supportive trainers/all round go anywhere footwear absolutely brilliant. Lightweight enough to wear all day. unlike some similar merrill's i used to own which felt like blocks of concrete after a good days walking.
on 10 August 2016
Tiny bit tight across the bridge of my foot. I am a size 10.5 with wide feet and could have done with ordering size 11. With wearing these for a few weeks though they have given a bit already. These are not waterproof! If you want the waterproof ones you will need to order the gortex ones at a higher price.
on 12 May 2016
Really accustomed to using Solomon Footwear and these are to use casually with my cycling. Strong support footwear, good grip all round and really like the draw cord laces. Not shoes to use with thicker socks as the size you order is right with thinner sports socks but too tight with padded versions
on 19 July 2016
Fit nicely. I dont use them for running just for day to day activities. I wanted something light and hard wearing and these seem to do the job. The breeze goes through the trainers nicely keeping my feet cool. I haven't had them in the winter yet tho, so i will have to see how they are.
The only issue is (very minor) if you wear them on a polished floor (shopping centre, supermarket, nice area with polished slabs) they dont grip very well and are a nightmare in the wet on these surfaces. But that is only me been picky. Overall good trainer.
on 5 May 2013
Bought these for Tough Mudder, North London (4th May 2013). I gripped whilst most slipped. Incredible bit of kit. Not cheap, but sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Buy one size up from your normal. Don't require breaking in. Sold.