Customer reviews

Lullabies
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 March 2013
I only received this a couple of days ago and have played it now five tims,...well where do I start .......well its beautifully arranged, sparcely at times. and the singing is very delicate and very moving .....I love it ,and if you like Jackie Oates I am sure you you will too..............from me a five star rating........Steve
on 20 September 2013
Jackie Oates has produced an album of the sweetest sounds. Her vocal style is ideal for these - in the main - forgotten stories in song. Recommended for anybody who wants to adventure away from the usual formulaic folk song setup of hero's and villain's. Buy this album - it'll make your dreams soulful and you soul enriched.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 March 2013
What a lovely idea and what a lovely voice too. Jackie Oates' last
album 'Saturnine' was one of the treasures of 2011 (do, do listen
to it if you haven't already). Her new recording 'Lullabies', as its
name implies, is a collection of songs designed to help babes on their
journeys to the land of Nod and what an absolutely magical venture
it is. Forget any comments elsewhere such as "niche"; such is Ms Oates'
mastery of her chosen theme and the delightful selection of songs that
our attention is not allowed to flag for a single moment. This is, indeed,
the stuff that the deepest richest dreams are made of.

There are fifteen numbers in the set and it's almost impossible to guide
you towards the best because each one truly is as good as every other.

The sublime song 'Waiting For The Lark', with its warm piano and string
arrangement, paints a sublime picture of the countryside in the early hours
when all is still and a farmer's working day is about to begin while his
child still sleeps; the crisp guitar and fiddle accompaniment to 'The Posy
Rhyme' frames a gloriously simple vocal performance and the curiously surreal
and unsettling story of 'Alexander Beetle/Farewell Nell' brings just a
smidgen of darkness to the predominantly tranquil and moonlit proceedings.

Ms Oates has given the listening world one of the greatest gifts of the year.

Every home, with a little one at its heart or not, should have one!

Essential.
on 27 March 2013
I have to admit that I was a little nervous when I loaded this disk. I've followed Jackie almost since she started and am a great fan of her previous work. I just thought that a set of lullabies would be a step too far. I was wrong. Yes, these are lullabies, but not necessarily treated as such (after all, what lucky children get serenaded to sleep with violins, clever guitar work or any of a number of instruments). And the term 'lullaby' or 'sleep song' is treated somewhat loosely: 'Alexander Beetle' was originally a poem by AA Milne, 'Junk' by Paul McCartney she admits is 'not exactly a lullaby' and 'Sleepers Awake' is, as its title implies, anything but. These are not criticisms, the choice of songs makes this a much more interesting collection, I think.

As for the presentation of the material. Jackie Oates is in fine voice and the accompaniments are sparing, but beautifully played. If you like her earlier stuff, then you should be listening to this as well. If this is your first introduction, then go and get the other ones immediately, your ears will thank you for it.
on 20 May 2013
Just can't let this one go by without a comment. The magic of English folk music is still alive. I was enjoying the wonderful music right enough, but once or twice the tears fell like buckets, but happily. I will let you decide which ones might do that to you! This one stays close to the heart, and is timely too, as it is like waking up on a Spring morning, and realising that the world is born again. My daughter, 8, is off looking for Alexander.
on 10 September 2013
II have enjoyed listening to this relatively new album (March 2013). It is a folk production but without being over-folksy. There are some particularly good tracks namely Dream Angus, the Worthy Wood Carol and LIttle Fishes but there are no poor tracks and the album flows very well. There are some tracks recorded or half recorded in Reykjavik which work well and include somee local instruments which give the album an eccentric feel. The CD was given to me by my eldest sister and I have recently brought my little sister into the fold by giving it to her. Very satisfied with the album.
on 30 April 2013
Whether you're a new(ish) parent, or just want to recapture or capture for the first time those moments of early childhood, or perhaps just enjoy innocent songs beautifully sung, this CD is a real treat. For those who are of an international disposition there are a couple of Icelandic lullabies. My only regret is the omission of "Auri, min Kauri, og Koriro", which is about out-smarting some nasty trolls :-O. Perhaps Jackie might include it on her next CD...

But this is truly a wonderful CD that'll leave you wanting more.
on 8 May 2013
the most wonderful collection of lullabies.. i listen to this before i drift off to sleep, it is sometimes haunting, sometimes evocative of my own childhood..this album has been put together by someone who can still see life though the eyes of a child. i was going to send it to my grandson but decided to keep it for now.
on 11 May 2013
This wonderful CD is full of enchanting lullabies from the UK & Iceland. Jackie Oates has the voice of an angel, if you haven't heard of her before try this album, you won't be disappointed.
on 11 July 2013
I thought the concept of the album was good before I purchased it and so far I have enjoyed playing it. My one reserve is the packaging is dull on recycled material, which easily tears.