I am impressed. I bought this as I knew so little about Stalin. I normally read full-length books (and was looking for one when I saw this) - I would certainly buy a similar book in future where what I want is an overview to cover gaps in my knowledge. Its brevity is a massive advantage. Despite its brevity, I did not feel that I was reading a dumbed down version - not at all. I am actually pleased that I bought this rather than a full-length book.

I read this book over a weekend. It held my interest - I did not find it at all boring. On the contrary, I found it very interesting.

I was impressed that, even when a chapter ended with Stalin's death, I was only 60% of the way through the book. "What follows?" I wondered. The answer was three very interesting chapters ('Stalin's Historiography', 'Stalin the Man' and 'De-Stalinisation') and two appendices - 'Key Players' and 'Stalin Timeline'. Those chapters reinforced what I had already learned from the book and therefore aided my learning. The structure of the book, therefore, is in my opinion excellent.
on 17 June 2017
Makes you want to read more about him.
on 7 May 2015
all the facts you need
on 9 October 2013
The book does exactly as it says: gives you the basic information on the subject so if, like me, you know very little about Stalin, this gives you the background info. It's a pretty terrifying read too, when it clearly spells out one of the greatest atrocities of the last century.
on 8 July 2013
As with other History in an Hour books, this was concise and to the point, without lots of unnecessary padding and pointless facts.
It gave an immediate impression of the tyrant, and the almost hypnotic hold he had on his cronies (they thought), and the Russian nation as a whole.
on 23 June 2013
This was a great book to read. Gives you a great deal of information without over complicating the subject. It's a good book to start off with and sets you up perfectly to want to learn more about Stalin.
on 28 May 2013
I enjoyed this book as it gave a brief insight into the politics and person of a man about whom I had heard but knew little. I had heard that the Stalin regime was a wicked waste of life and now I see how that is the truth.

For those who wish a deeper insight there are other books out there. For those, like me, who wanted to know what all the talk had been about, this is a really good introduction and explanation of Stalin and his strange ideas of how to make his country a better place. Of course, if he had listened he would have known those ideas wouldn't work. But like all men of his ilk, if you didn't agree with him you simply disappeared!
on 28 May 2013
I found this book to be most interesting as it shed light onto a name I thought I knew a bit about.

The book left me with a number of questions that require answering, such as How did he earn his living while he was whipping up . the workers. How did he find his time in prison and what lead him to make some of the decisions that lead to so much harm.

Once I finished reading the book I found a need to learn ore.
on 12 April 2014
I was able to get a good overview of Stalin through this book so it does what it sets out to achieve. It has provided me with a basis for further study. Easily read and well set out.Will look to purchase more of this series.
on 22 April 2014
The book's great for giving you an overview of Stalin and does offer a good insight into the man who ruled the soviet union. It also gives you various subjects to go off to research further.