Customer reviews

{Awayland}
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 14 February 2013
I first became acquainted with Villagers in mid-2011 and was lucky enough to see them perform in Placa del Rei in Barcelona in September of that year - and coincidentally I'm off to see them again tonight in the less glamorous surroundings of the old Digbeth Institute in Birmingham - well it is St. Valentine's Day.

I bought this album a couple of days after it was released and had mixed feelings at first. i've played it a lot since and have reconciled some of my differences and have finally accepted that "The Waves" is a rather good song (I didn't enjoy it at all at first) and "Nothing Arrived" is one of those tunes that you know upon first hearing that you will love for years, but I just feel that several of the tracks seem to be filler to make the album long enough. "Judgement Call" is a case in point. It seems to lack the finesse of so many of the songs on "Becoming a Jackal" and doesn't really go anywhere. I find myself reaching for the skip button. Too many of the tracks seem insubstantial and unmemorable. I've been listening to the two albums back to back in the car for a couple of weeks and can't help thinking that "{Awayland}" only achieves the high standards of the first album a few times.

If you're already a fan, then you've probably already got both, so why are you reading this review? If you're just discovering Villagers then my advice would be to listen to "Becoming a Jackal" first and give "{Awayland}" a try when you're convinced.
on 10 July 2014
A really interesting album and way way better that the first one. The music is well written and you can really see a movement into new areas of writing some great lyrics too. Track three is a corker and addictive, other tracks on the album a little more conventional but you will find something you really enjoy. Influences abound through this album from Radiohead to Cold playish singing quality, I shall put it on now...keep going lads its getting better and better but keep to the weird and steer clear of commercialism...
One person found this helpful
on 10 February 2013
Over the first few listens Awayland has grown from a strong 3-4 stars to an absolutely guaranteed 5. Like all great albums it has hidden depths and guarantees longevity by unveiling itself over several listens. As the title suggests, seeing this performed live at the Leadmill in Sheffiled on Friday enhanced my enjoyment of a superb and varied collection of songs. I really believe this should go one further than Becoming a Jackal and win the Mercury music prize.
5 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2018
Excellent cd - arrived on time, thanks very much
on 26 September 2013
A few good songs: in particular, 'The Waves', 'Nothing Arrived' and 'In a Newfound Land You Are Free'.

The most beautiful bit of the album is the first two thirds of the opening song, 'My Lighthouse', which is criminally ruined by a really unpleasant key-change ending.

A quite lyrical album in places but slightly silly and even cheesy in others.

Overall, a bit too nice.
One person found this helpful
on 17 April 2013
Purchased this on the strength of "The Bell". A marvellous track constantly played on 6 Music.
However apart from that and " Nothing arrived" "The Waves" and "My Lighthouse" Nothing else really stands out.
I do though look forward to hearing more from them, as I suspect there is better to come. Perhaps it's time for me to buy their
first album which is highly rated..
on 28 June 2014
Love almost all the tracks on this album. Heard `Waves` first, via social media, then read an interview with Villagers in a music zine. Listened to a few tracks on-line- then had to buy it. Lyrically, wonderful! Happy me.
on 17 March 2013
A wonderful 2nd album. I was expecting more of their first album's sound to be present yet, barring the first track, it's a complete departure. Ambitious and successful, album of the year contender already. I'll stop gushing now.
on 29 September 2013
I really liked ' Becoming A Jackal', and in many ways this is a move forward, a lot more electronic,better songs and production.
Recommended.