Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Firstly let me make this very clear. The battery can go in both ways but only one way will work! I lost an hour trying to get the camera to charge straight away and it wouldn't! And all because the supplied battery can fit in back to front...
Anyway, the battery is in and it charges well so here's the review

Thanks to a couple of very hot days days and being a friend of a friend at a barbecue with some people who wonderfully had an outside pool (!), I was finally able to test the waterproof ability this weekend
There are four specific water functions, one is macro based (close up) two are specific (underwater action and underwater landscape) and one is a generic pool shot. This is the one I used and it was perfect for ridiculous selfies underwater. As the day got a little bit darker then the flash really does come into it's own and works really well
As it is shockproof as well, you can rest assured that dropping it in the pool and letting it sink won't do any damage at all, in fact you can set the timer, sink it onto the floor and swim down for a cool shot...
The screen could be a little brighter when using underwater, even using goggles it was quite dark and when the light hits it at a certain angle it becomes completely silver and reflective making it hard at times to get a proper shot.
Filming underwater works very well as well, there are perhaps too many filming functions for my liking in what is supposed to be a camera as opposed to a camcorder but then you don't have to use them all

Using the camera above water it is also shockproof and ice proof, just what I needed during a ramble down Cornwall way during a British summer. The macro function is extremely good, I was able to get some incredible close up shots of butterfly's and bees atop flowers.
The panoramic function also works extremely well and while the camera will tell you to be very slow, even if you speed it up a bit the camera works extremely well and compensates accordingly providing a very good panoramic shot. And even when the obligatory drizzle happened, because it's waterproof I was completely confident in using it
There is a compass function and GPS as well, I didn't use the GPS as I was concerned about battery life - see below

Now then, there are a couple of special scene functions which are slightly bonkers.
There is a dog face recognition and a cat face recognition function- no seriously... When selected, the camera will automatically take a picture when it picks up either a dog or a cat depending on which one you chose.
Nw the first time we used it with my neighbours dog it actually went off taking a photo of her bosom - cue lots of jokes about it recognising "puppies"
Joking aside, it does sort of work but not very well. You will have a lot more success just deciding when you want to take the photo yourself rather than ending up with a blurry shot of half a dog and half a cleavage!

There are magic frames as well which give you the option of a few special effects. Nothing too surprising here, fish eye, soft focus etc. Sparkle can be fun in the right circumstances and the reflection one which mirrors the screen can take some very odd shots with a little patience and a couple of pints.
The majority of these magic effects can be used when filming as well and therefore can be used when filming underwater as well which resulted in a couple of very trippy effects!

Downsides - the battery life isn't as good as I would expect. I fully charged it before going swimming and noticed we were down to two bars (out of three) relatively early on. Now, don't misunderstand, the camera was being used continually underwater and the battery didn't run out, just lost a bar earlier than I expected however I wouldn't feel confident taking it away for a weekend without the charging leads.
Speaking of which, rather annoyingly the charging leads are specific to Olympus, if you are anything like me with various electronic devices this is a bit of a bug bear having to have another specific lead for one device

Overall, this camera is excellent. I'm really happy with it and it is definitely going to suit certain people with outgoing lifestyles however, even if you aren't likely to go ice climbing in the Artic this is still a brilliant waterproof camera which is going to be perfect for holidays (and the occasional hot day in Britain)
44 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2013
I got this based on the Olympus specs as I needed a compact camera and couldn't wait for the expert reviews to come out.
I have to say I am pretty impressed!
The menu are simple and easy to use (without the need to fully read to manual provided on a CD)
the camera feels sturdy and well built, with the buttons actually smartly placed in my opinion
I have tested the toughness to a certain extend... the camera can totally be dropped in fresh snow, spilled a drink on and be handled by kids without fear of fatal damage
but best of all, it does take really nice shots, with correct exposure with the help of the scene modes, good shutter speed, not bad in low light either, sharp focus and it even records quite decent short movies
I am in no way an expert, but I have a DSLR that I never take anywhere because it's too bulky and fragile, despite the wonderful pictures it can produces.
This is the camera to capture the snowball fights, the muddy bike rides and the trips to the beach, and it ticks all the boxes!
on 12 August 2013
Received this as a replacement to a leaky Pentax, it's an all round better camera. The battery and connection doors have a double lock mechanism which seem to be watertight. The Intelligent auto option works well, meaning no manual changes when going underwater and picture quality is generally good. The video is also impressive, much better than I have seen previously from a compact
on 29 December 2013
Bought this for beach holiday last august and am so far very impressed with it as a complete do it all point and shoot camera.
Image quality is generally good. (I've added an underwater photo to the gallery as a sample) and the fun modes are impressive too.
Battery life is pretty good.
A nice balance of quality and value for money.
The rugged and waterproof ability of this camera is superb. It was in the sea and in the sand and is very confidence inspiring with a floaty wrist strap.
Just pour water over it to clean the sand off and its good to chuck in your bag.
The only thing to watch out for is dirt/sand getting in the compartment seals. If you use a soft bristle tooth brush to make sure they are clean everytime you close it back up you wont go wrong.
I have a Canon s100 which takes better photos but you simply can't take that camera to places like you can the Olympus.
Bottom line is....... This starts up fast, takes stills and video , Has fun/creative modes which are very useable and after all they say the best camera is the one you have with you.
review image
VINE VOICEon 4 July 2013
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First impressions of this camera are good, it is small, a compact probably termed as larger compact, it feels weighty and well built but not cumbersome or heavy as such. It feels smart and subtle.

Easy to carry due to its size and can take a very good picture, its tough, and it can take great full HD quality recording. Comes with strap, (handy but can be tricky when you are case shopping!) Has no case, card, or spare battery which is a shame. Usual I guess though!

The camera is easy enough to start with without having to do to much reading, it has a lot of options but is fairly intuitive for the main ones I would say, and easy to set on an auto setting.

The buttons press easily although the record button is a bit more fiddly, but still fine, and I guess I am learning still the pressure required on it.

Quality of pictures outside and inside is as I hoped, very clear but I think it is better on outside pictures - like most cameras. (skin tones mainly struggle inside)

Camera is wonderful for getting high quality film so easily, playback is reasonable, although watch what computer programme you use as first one we used made playback stutter which worried us till we tried another! Finding it tricky to find good playback clear of any glitches.
Love the fact photos can be taken during recording, and the camera deals mostly well with motion in photos.

Love the magic filters option, of course some seem better than others and may be suited to different things, its fun though and the dramatic setting and mirror image settings are my favourite, the soft and watercolour settings seem a bit weak.
Haven't figured the setting to take a pic of yourself yet, found it but woulnd't play ball, need to look in the manual at that.
Panorama shots seems pretty good, and like the option to take pictures in widescreen.

This camera can even take pictures underwater which is a great option .

The battery life is okay but not great, may improve with more use, have purchased a spare battery as backup. Worth getting a card of good size if you want to do many full HD movies. They will take up lots computer space if you store them on hard drive rather than burn to disc. You can reduce filming quality if you wish.

Very pleased with this camera - it is impressive.
on 1 September 2014
I have owned a Tough 800 and 820 and use them for kayaking and occasional snorkelling. The 820 has been and still is a great camera with image stabilisation and fast focus for clear images. The 800 also has a lens shutter that stops water splashes getting on the lens for kayaking, which is great (my friends with other cameras get water drops in their photos).
On the 830 Olympus have removed the protective shutter, which is a real shame as it was the biggest differentiator from competitors' cameras. I bought one of these for work use and then discovered that they have also removed the macro facility from the menu. (there is some feature for underwater macro but not daylight)
This is a real step backward Olympus, very disappointing and the only reason for dropping a star.
Apart from these issues the camera is a very good one.
on 7 June 2014
This is a fantastic camera. I have used it snorkelling and it takes some great footage. I also like the high speed capture so you can play back in slow motion. It is nice and solid too. You don't have to worry about it getting covered in sand, just rinse it in water. The perfect holiday camera.
VINE VOICEon 24 June 2013
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
So many ruggedised cameras look just that, rugged. However Olympus has managed to make a camera that is both rugged and good looking. In fact it looks quite retro, which I think is a real selling point. Performance and features are pretty much faultless. It's simple to use with very intuitive menus and controls. All the feautures you'd expect to find are present, and image quality is very sharp with good, deep colours. A 5* optical zoom is a bonus in a camera this small, as is the 3" display. If you want a quality brand, ruggedised camera that you can carry anywhere but know that you'll get great quality images, then I don't think you can do much better than this.
on 23 September 2013
I'm a typical Dad with 2 kids that wanted a tough camera to go on holidays that all the family could use. I spent several weeks researching the right camera to buy and saw the Olympus on the day before my purchase and changed my mind. I am by all means not an expert photographer but this camera has certainly lived up to my expectations for quality, functions available and easy of use. On a recent holiday to Singapore, Australia (home) and Dubai this camera has been taken to the beach, pool and many other adventures where previously owned cameras would not have survivied. My kids aged 7 & 9 also enjoyed using the camera underwater but especially like experimenting with the special effects. It is a small transfortable and very tough. The movie footage is also clear for kids sports and general family activities. Basically a fun camera that is easy to use for all the family with a acceptable level of quality.
on 23 April 2013
fairly lightweight, but feels the business. tough by name and so far it has not been dropped from a height or dropped in water or had to deal with temperatures below 0 degrees.. but the magic filter is the best set of filter options i have ever had on a camera.. we are thoroughly pleased with this..wish we had discovered it years ago.. would highly recommend.