on 26 May 2015
This was like taking a trip down memory lane as the author mentions many things in passing that reminded me of my stay in Greece. On one level it is an account of the writer’s move to Crete with her husband and young daughter and although the account is sometimes funny and always interesting, there isn’t anything that sets this story apart from any of the other similar expat accounts. What does make it special are the numerous recipes that the author includes in the book. With such mouth-watering delicacies I still don’t understand how she managed to lose weight whilst in Greece but I’m going to happily give the recipes a try.
on 9 August 2017
This is really two books for the price of one. The recipes were a bonus, most of which seemed to be mouthwatering. I particularly liked the way the author settled into Cretan life, and learned Greek rather than expecting them to speak English. Also she interacted with the Greeks and expats without judging them. There are a lot of interesting and entertaining stories in here. If you are considering moving abroad, then this book would be of great assistance to you.
on 11 March 2014
This was one of those books where I noticed the percentage read at the bottom of the Kindle Page getting bigger and dreaded finishing. It was wonderful - a real escape from the grey winter. I wanted it to last so much longer ! It is the first thing I have read for a very long time where the English was absolutely spot on, not one typo/spelling mistake, grammar wonderful and yet written in a really captivating style. The recipes are lovely, the tips for those going to stay awhile/work abroad extremely useful and the stories very interesting. I beg the author to write more, and I'm off to search now to see if she has. A real joy.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 July 2013
If you have travelled to any of the Greek islands then some of the recipes in this book you will recognise.. Its very well presented.. the recipes sort of sneak up on you and they re not wriiten like you are an idiot.. sort of how your best mate would tell you to cook her favourite dish. Theres quite a bit about life on Crete but I too wondered about the authors other half ? Hes gets just a passing mention a couple of times,, bit strange ? I enjoyed this book.. well two books in one really.. I hope we get some more from this author.
on 31 January 2014
I read this inbetween my usual thrillers,and really enjoyed a look at Greek life,and some of the recipes sound wonderful.I have been to several Greek Islands on holiday but you don't really get to experience life as a local, this is exactly as I would imagine it,and I will also be trying several of the recipes,good book.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 October 2013
A lovely gentle book peppered with humour. I could relate to this book as I'd stayed in a lot of the places named in the book, it certainly made me smile. It also opened my eyes to the real Greek culture, I'd only experienced a taste of the culture but could definitely identify with the author's stories. I bought this for the recipes but found myself enjoying the story more than the recipes - which, incidentally, are delicious!
5 people found this helpful
on 5 February 2014
I loved reading this book, I got it for free on kindle but I would have happily paid for it. It is a lovely read and you get some good tips on loosing weight. Seeing this to review (I can't believe I haven't reviewed it already) I am going to re read it as I enjoyed it so much the first time :)
on 30 September 2015
I felt like I was living in Crete with the author. A very well written and interesting account of the author's life experiences in Greece.
One person found this helpful
on 23 August 2013
read this short book on the flight to Crete - it made me smile, a lot :) an enjoyable light read with lots of love for Crete. Nice recipes scattered throughout too along with the tale that goes with each dish.
One person found this helpful
on 5 November 2013
Liked the feisty tone to this...! Witty and intelligent. Haven't tried the recipes but may well do if I can shed a couple of stone eating lamb and feta !