on 16 August 2017
The author appears to lack both empathy and subjectivity in her descriptions of victim, persecutor and rescuers. She begins with an attack on therapy which attempts understanding of the roots of emotional pain and totally ignores neuroscience research which suggests that brain development and emotional development is affected by childhood events including trauma and that the positions she writes about are not just stepped into or out of by just choosing too.
on 27 March 2017
It's okay - not particularly well written and seems more aimed at counsellors than the general public. I was hoping for something a little more in depth.
on 7 March 2015
Excellent book. Covers all the basics in language the layman can understand. Gives real insight. I shall never look at a triangle the same way ever again!
on 21 June 2014
I found the tone of this book very uncompassionate. For a good account if how to avoid drama triangles, I highly recommend an article by Acey Choy entitled The Winner's Triangle in Transactional Analysis Journal.
on 7 June 2017
Very useful and very easy to read
on 21 June 2014
I found this book to be a helpful read, as, in my opinion, it gave good insight to some not too uncommon human behaviours. The brief summary approach gave me sufficient material to easily grasp thought processes that can go on in each of our lives, both consciously and unconsciously.
Again, easily, I was able to identify where I have occupied the three different roles at various stages in my own life, growth and development. In this respect I found the simplicity of this little book most helpful for my understanding, rather than trying to wade through a huge volume on the subject matter. In my opinion, the little book is very well worth a read, and great value for money. Thank you Catherine Holden.
on 18 June 2017
Good simple book, easy concept to grasp and really informative. Would recommend this to anyone who wants to understand the human mind a little better
on 9 February 2014
I found that the theory was written in the writers perspective and it wasn't what I was looking for. It seemed to shame the three victim, persecutor and rescuer rather than give explanation of why someone would find themselves in one of the three categories to begin with. No more is said, other than this person is needy and weak. I think you have to read between the lines a lot, in this book to apply its knowledge, in your own world; whilst keeping a very open mind.

For me it just felt as though something was missing and this book didn't grasp the whole characteristics of individuals who find themselves in these roles. It's written in a sense that everyone chooses and wants to be in the role that they are in, which in some cases I can understand it is true. However, not everyone chooses to be a victim, not everyone in an abusive situation has chosen to be there, some are forced and threatened etc. The concept around the victim in particular is what I find disturbing, because the author seems to write in an angle, highlighting the idea that a victim just wants to play victim all the time. Thus, I wouldn't take this book too seriously and just read it for the sake of understanding the concept of the drama triangle. I am a trainee therapist and found this book to be very narrow minded, and I don't think that the theory can be generalized across all the population in the way the author has tried to do.
on 4 September 2017
Anyone new into this should start with reading this one. It is very well-written and to the point only. Good luck
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 February 2015
Caveat, this is a useful book but whilst giving you an account of the basic principles of T.A. it is unambitious to a fault. The account of various games that can be seen to constitute relationships is clear and sometimes revealing, though coming to it via Wilfrid Bion's psychoanalyic work made it seem anaemic. That may not be a fault, either, though it made it rather a simple-seeming account. I guess one cannot count it a fault that it is a beginner's guide since this is really intended as a primer. For myself I found Eric Berne's own work a better introduction, though this has its modest merit.