on 29 January 2014
The COMPLETE works of Jane Austen for £0.12p? If this was the worst edition ever, would this be a waste of money? The reality of it is, is that this is a very nice edition. Her classic novels are all here, clear, legible and, intact.

I know of , even amongst my close circle of friends, literary snobs, who sneer at ebooks, choosing to preserve, at any cost, the traditional leather bound, top grade paper editions. I, myself, possess gorgeous editions of classic literature, which I treasure. However, I remember being a penniless student, making my way through university and, trawling charity shops for any edition, no matter what it's condition.

Know my fingers are riddled by a medical condition which stiffness my joints, to the extent that physically produced books are, physically, just too heavy to handle.

Thank God, for ebooks, at prices we can,afford.
on 24 February 2015
Interesting read
on 17 November 2014
great read
on 6 November 2013
Basically this works can be obtained for free, legally but this presentation is formatted perfectly for kindle and at that price it was a bargin.
on 22 November 2013
This kindle version contains the works of one of the greatest, wittiest, most entertaining writers in the English language, for an amazingly low cost. It is almost unthinkable that this product would not get a 5 star rating from me. However, the lack of a contents page (or any other means of navigating through this work) not only means that it is hard to find the work one is interested in reading, but one doesn't even know what works are included in this collection. Two stars is probably too much for a work with these defects. It shows inexcusable laziness went into the production of this work, and I can only hope that a revision of this work will rectify this deficiency.

<Edit> To be totally fair to this product, I have found that there is a contents page which can be used to navigate this product - but, firstly, it is at the end of the book! and secondly, it is not a contents page that appears in the navigation pane like a contents page should (this, at least, is how it should work on the "Kindle on PC" program).
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2014
I have always loved Pride and Prejudice because the character of her heroine is one I appreciate. Elizabeth Bennett is a woman of taste and wit who speaks her mind readily, the sort of woman who appeals to us today.

Sense and Sensibility is slower and more plodding because t is difficult to decide who is supposed to be the chief character. Both Marianne and her sister are not immediately attractive. Marianne is of course very young at seventeen. She is gifted at the piano, playing concertos for a gathered company of people. Today this would be considered unusual! She is ready to consider marriage at this age and is pressured into it with a man of over twice her age because it is socially acceptable for her to do so. He is a good man, no doubt, and has been very kind to her.In Jane Austen's day, marriage was considerably preferable to remaining unwed.Opportunities for young women were not at all possible: they could only become governesses or remain in their parent's home until old age.

Mansfield Park is the novel I am currently reading again.
One immediately feels a compassion for Fanny Price and can only hope for her that she is saved by Edmund from a hideous fate...
on 9 March 2015
The kindle version is excellent no complaints at all. I have never read Austin prior to this journey but as a noted author of highly regarded classics I though I had to read the novels as I had read the rave reviews. So far I have read Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice.

Nothing wrong with each book. All well written and on their own very enjoyable. Sadly however they are all much the same. The theme is who will marry who? How much money do the male suitors have? There is always a gentleman who an important female character thinks is a rotter but who turns out to be a really good egg and she falls in love with him and marries him.

I will try Lady Susan next, although if it carries on in the same manner I will drop it quickly.

I think it is a huge shame that an author who can write so well is so one dimensional and limited in terms of subject matter.

The Brontes, Gaskell, Doyle and Dickens for instance have a much wider subject matter.

Sorry to say that IMHO Jane Austen is hugely over-rated.
on 9 May 2014
As an avid Jane Austen fan, I have always obtained the individual books as they were free & public domain. However, I felt that one collection - if formatted & arranged well for the Kindle - would be an advantage. I looked at this version, but it's navigation and formatting were too limited for my liking. If you fancy a lot better navigation & formatting, together with some additional generic material, then let me suggest another offering for your Kindle. I've listed it below. At the time of writing, it was 77p ( so 65p dearer than this 12p version ). But well worthy of the additional few pence.

Publisher: Maplewood Books; 2 edition (16 April 2014)
ASIN: B00C8ULCGG

* The complete text of all major and minor works written by Jane Austen, each elegantly formatted for ease of use and enjoyment on your Kindle reader.
* Links to free, full-length audio recordings of all the books in this collection.
* An individual, active Table of Contents for each book accessible from the Kindle "go to" feature.
* Perfect formatting in rich text compatible with Kindle's Text-to-Speech features.
on 15 March 2014
I love Jane Austen. I began reading her when I was about thirteen and although I found some of the archaic language challenging, and I didn't then understand why her heroines had to behave in certain ways, I still enjoyed the stories.

Miss Austen is an excellent example to modern readers that you don't need thrills and spills in a story to make a plot gripping.

This particular collection is noteworthy for being excellent value for the Kindle; it was.literally, pennies.
on 3 November 2013
Lovely to have all this books on my Kindle, I read Pride and Prejudice on holiday, and will read the others on future holidays