Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 April 2014
Good all round collection of some of his earlier work with Sun Records, and the same when he joined CBS. On the down side, and this is very much a personal comment, I much prefer individual CD cases as opposed to this triple one, which makes it not storable in my traditional stacking towers. I find the booklet type of presentation particularly unpractical, and I feel that Amazon should make all this clear in their specifications. Its all down to costs, I suppose, but 75 tracks for the price I paid isn't a bad deal!
on 23 June 2017
Excellent CD
on 3 June 2017
quick arrival good cd
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 March 2013
An excellant collection. For those who may have read my critical review of the Jerry Lee Lewis set, for me the difference between the two is that there is a definate toe tapping quality about Johnny's iterpretations, even on songs with dark lyrics, that wasn't there when I gave the JLL set a go. The Rebel is a great set for those who may still just be build up their appreciation of Johnny Cash based on the "Walk The Line" biopic. found I enjoyed the 3 discs progressively more as I listened to each one.

The front cover I thought is excellant. The only one criticism I have of the overall product is there there are no accompanying sleeve notes, or even any recording/original release date information, which is a bit weak for a collection of this type. This is the reason why I have rated 4 stars and not 5. However, you have to bare in mind the cheap price when considering this.
on 7 May 2013
Gave it 5 stars because it has most of his best work. The stories this man weaves are fantastic. His delivery is incredible and the range of songs on the album is top drawer. Thoroughly recommend this album. Almost perfect, just needs a few more songs on it.
This budget triple CD contains 75 tracks from the fifties and sixties. Among the classic tracks that Johnny Cash is best remembered for, you'll find I walk the line, Ring of fire, Don't take your guns to town, Folsom prison blues, Hey porter and A boy named Sue. Some other great tracks include some of less famous (relatively speaking) American country hits such as I got stripes, Guess things happen that way, Big river, The rebel Johnny Yuma, Five feet high and rising, Ballad of a teenage queen, Tennessee flat top box, Busted, Cry!, Cry!, Cry!, There you go, The ways of a woman in love and All over again. A few sixties classics are missing, notably One on the right is on the left, Daddy sang bass, Ballad of Ira Hayes, Orange blossom special and Understand your man, but this is a budget collection and if you need these tracks, they are easy to find.

Two other country hits for Johnny Cash featured here are worth a special mention. Frankie's man Johnny, a re-working of the oldie Frankie and Johnny, is different from other versions of the song you may have heard, with a very different ending. I still miss someone, arguably the best love song that Johnny ever wrote, has been recorded by several singers; I first came across the song on a Crystal Gayle album, and having done so, it took me a while back then to find the original.

There are songs that I rarely hear or which are new to me on this collection. They include Straight A's in love, You dreamer you, One more rider, Run softly blue river, You remembered me, I'm free from the chain gang now, Let me down easy and Sing it pretty, Sue. Of these, I have the last-named track on another Johnny Cash triple CD, but it's good to have it here, while some appear on another budget collection The Real Johnny Cash that I never got round to buying, but that will change soon. I'm not sure if I have the others elsewhere in my collection at all. In any event, they are all great songs that are well worth hearing.

Finally, I love the cover picture. Like the music, it is a reminder of a bygone age, the like of which will never come round again. This is a great collection at a great price, irrespective of whether you are new to Johnny Cash's music, a long-time fan like me, or somewhere in between.
For collectors I suspect they will have these recordings but for the buyer who wants 75 tracks and 3 hours of country from one of the greats of the genre then this competitively priced box set will fit the bill. Good sound transfers throughout. More great value music from Delta Music Digital. Public domain recordings. Attractively packaged.
on 27 August 2013
I was very pleased with this 3 disc collection of Johnny Cash, I downloaded them to my ipod immediately and love the casual sound of his voice. The cd includes classics such as boy named sue and Folsom prison blues. The only negative side of the CD is that It didn't contain all of his greatest songs like thing called love and some others. overall a great cd for any fan.
on 24 September 2013
if you want a lot of Cash for very little cash this is a must if you are a long life cash fan they may well be tracks you do not have
on 16 September 2013
I love Johnny Cash and I just love his music. Many songs on the cd and it arrived promptly. :)