VINE VOICEon 30 October 2012
It was always going to be hard for Madness to produce a decent follow up album to 2009's critically acclaimed The Liberty of Norton Folegate, but with Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da Madness have produced one of their finest albums ever.
The album consists of 13 beautiful pop songs, ranging from the up beat highs; 'Misery', 'So Alive', 'How Can I Tell You?' to deep emotional numbers such as; 'Never Knew Your Name', 'Powder Blue' and 'Leon'.
Madness have once again used the same ingredients as they always have done, as there is clear echoes from their previous out put that can be heard on this album. The track 'Misery' wouldn't feel out of place on the bands debut album 'One Step Beyond' and La Luna would fit nicely on 'The Rise and Fall'.
All 6 band members have had a hand in writing the songs on this album and you can tell, as there is so much variety in songs and styles. Not that that is a bad thing. The Madness stamp of quality is clear on every track. My personal favourites are 'So Alive', 'Misery' and 'Never Knew Your Name'.
Ultimately this is another strong outing from one of Britain's favourite bands and is probably better than the last one. If you want something upbeat and at the same time sad, this this is the album for you
12 people found this helpful
on 29 October 2012
The boys are back & brilliant as ever. What more can you say they are still delivering good catchy magical tunes over 30 years since they started.
CD starts off with the My Girl 2 which grows on you more & more every time you here it & ends on a heavy Ska beat of Death of a Rude boy (if you do not include bonus tracks). If you are an old fan or new to Madness do get this CD you will not be disappointed with it. Also if you get the chance go & see them live it is a great happy fun filled experience not to be missed for fans of all ages & if not a fan you will by the end of a concert.
17 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2013
Madness were a staple of my early years at secondary school and being a "ska boy" was essential to fit in. Trends change & Madness faded from my view apart from seeing their sporadic greatest hits campaigns every few years. I dabbled unsuccessfully with Norton Folgate but gave them another (hesitant) go based purely on the Amazon reviews....and what a gobsmacking surprise. After repeated listens it just gets better and there is not one duff track. They retain their traditional quirky, observed lyrics and superb quality musicianship from the glory years but have updated and brilliantly re-interpreted it for the present day. The highlight for me is the semi-dub/late 70's inspired ska sound of Death of A Rudeboy that has me searching the loft for Crombie overcoat, stay-pressed trousers and black DM boots. However the rest of the album is awash with signature Madness gems and trademark sounds so it is futile trying to pick out all the good bits. Honestly I cannot recommend this album strongly enough and it stands tall amongst a sea of manufactured pop dross.
on 15 November 2012
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da.....oh yes! Well another exciting album by a band that in my mind have out done everyone else over the last 30 years. What I find so amazing reading the reviews is how everyone has a favorite song, and a song that they are not so keen on, but every one chooses something different. This shows that Madness really attract such a diverse listener, all getting enjoyment in different ways from their songs. This is an amazing album with so many moods, colours and flavours.. Who else could do this..? I cant think of anyone. They are alongside the Beatles in their abilities to create something amazing.
on 17 February 2013
I am a Madness fan and have grown up with their music, but must admit to only owning a compilation of their best known singles. Saw them in concert before Christmas and enjoyed some of the new stuff so decided to buy the CD. I love Never Knew Your Name and Death of a Rude Boy. I can honestly say that I think this album is very good, I like all of the tracks and am constantly playing it at the moment. I think each and every one of their songs are very individual from, unlike some bands. Long may they stay!
on 1 October 2015
The Liberty got the plaudits - this is like a singles album. So many great tunes, what a band. If they had released singles off this album back in 1979 - 1983 they would have been massive. Probably their most commercial album in my opinion since Absolutely
on 22 March 2018
I am more than Happy with the Order Thank You
on 3 July 2016
Item arrived promptly and well packaged
I bought this for a present for my dad who loves madness. He seems to be enjoying it very much :) I was also very happy with the price
on 28 May 2018
Another great album by a great band
on 24 April 2013
If you were a Nutty-fan the first time around, you'll find this is a welcome updated version. Mellowed with age! Similar style, yes, so if it wasn't your thing, then maybe this won't float your boat. But an updated newer blend and slant gives this Album a great shot in the arm. If you're 'newer' to the Boys, then, seriously, give this a punt. It's witty, quick, non-violent with no harsh edges which some artists feel they have to do to shock and give their music gravitas. Easy listening means you get the beat and words pretty quick - and they stick!
GREAT listening.