on 8 January 2017
This is a tiny camera - because it looks like a REAL CAMERA you may not realise how small it really is from the measurements. There should be a rubber grip on the rear for the thumb and the seller's description failed to mention this was missing. I am not too bothered by this as I have fitted a thumb grip in the hot shoe and intend to add a wooden extended grip to the front as I have rather long fingers. There are a lot of things I am learning about this camera - the manual is extensive but hard to take in. The on screen menus are extensive but sometimes cryptic. I bought a Fuji lens hood to go on it and this obscures about a fifth of the area on the viewfinder but the viewfinder is very clear and bright and the hood is not in view at the 112mm zoom setting. for me it is worth having so I am not forever checking for flare. I may file the slots in the hood wider to give a better see through I bought two new batteries of a larger capacity than the rather beat up ones it came with . The charger works well and is so small it fits in the camera bag. I have not found my forever bag for this camera yet the canon bag I am using is very nice but not suitable for a quick draw through the top from a shoulder holster position. I did not like the Fuji leather strap and am using a woven textile one - though small it weighs enough to need a neck strap and of all carrying positions I think this is better than in a pocket or in the hand. This is a camera for people who used SLR and Rangefinder cameras and in most cases one you understand it C1 and C2 programs can be configured for day and night shooting with as many manual adjustments as you like . Or set it on Program and just shoot. The 32GB SanDisk memory card I bought will hold 6000 JPegs. I will confess to have not tried RAW yet but I envision this will be for tripod and B&W work . Colour in High rez often looks unreal and without atmosphere. For the money this is a very good camea and I have not even tried the Movie function except to see if it works .It does.
on 6 September 2014
Bought for my wife as an upgrade to a Sony point and shoot. Takes great pictures but she struggles at times as it has potentially many more features to learn. Optical viewfinder is very useful on a sunny day as the screen seems particularly prone to reflections. Great retro looks and excellent build quality.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2015
Good camera. I'm still a beginner, but I decided to switch from my Nikon D5000 to Fujifilm X20 because I needed a more polyvalent, a quickier and a less heavy camera for my travels. The camera is perfect for me, and I especially enjoy the viewfinder and the camera features, like the B&W options. The delivery was prompt and fast, and the customer service was great!
on 12 August 2014
nice wee camera let down slightly by its poor low light/long exposure performance,otherwise a great camera for hols and general carrying
on 16 September 2013
There are many aspects of life where compromise comes into play, one of them the arena of consumer goods, and none more so, imho, than that of photographic equipment. The manufacturers identify, or construct, a niche in the market to fill with desirable goodies for us, the punters, to desire and part with our cash to own. This camera dropped into my camera niche!

The Fujifilm X20 is aimed at occupying a slot in the Advanced Compact (with an optical view-finder)niche. This it does following the X10, with many improvements. The improvements I appreciated were the new sensor and the info facility in the viewfinder. Here are a few other comments on the X20, and its compromises, after my first two weeks with the camera:

1. Build quality & handling - excellent, sturdy retro style case (superb fixed fast lens). Rubberised grip assists with confidence in handling. The controls are rather cramped, unsurprisingly on a (albeit largish) compact format camera. However, the controls are fairly intuitive, although I am still getting used to them. Note - If your hands are like a fistful of bananas this might not be the camera for you!

2. Image Quality - no problems here, the photographs are coming out great, even though I am very much on the start of the learning curve! Only tried the fine JPEG option thus far, but they have been exceptional. Very pleased with the low-light performance. The sensor size is bigger than the one on my previous compact fuji camera, and the pixel count at 12 M pixel, is much more too (although I am not a pixel counter!). Colour rendition is great, as I would expect with a fuji.

3. Menu System - for me this is important. I didn't want to be struggling round the menu system while I should be taking photographs. Fortunately, the X20 has the addition of a "Q" button on the back which gives access to all the important functions. This in addition to a programmable "Fn" button (default setting to access ISO value). So, lots of flexibility, but complexity of settings, tempered by some thoughtful access buttons.
Note: the X20 can be slapped into an Auto mode and settings largely forgotten about (I prefer to have more manual control of the camera, though). I cannot say how good they are - haven't used them yet.

4. Compromises which need to be known.
a. Battery size & capacity. Life is only stated at 270 photos. I would say that is the max. Purchase an extra battery or two - essential!
b The physical size is about at the upper end of the range for a compact. It is still easily carried about, but a struggle to get this one in a pocket.
c. The optical viewfinder only has 85% coverage, and I've been caught out by the parallax with close subjects! I'll get used to that though!

5. Things I think are superb.
a. Quality of images.
b. Portability.
c. Flexibility & number of available control options.
d. Larger sensor & fast lens.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 March 2013
I was going back and forth over whether to buy the Sony RX100 or the Fuji X20 for some time, I usually shoot with a Canon 7D, but wanted a good compact camera to use as a general walk around for times when taking the 7d is a bit of a burden (snowboarding, conferences etc.). After reading plenty of reviews on various web sites (on DP review) i decided to go for the X20, for the sole reason of it being regarded as more intuitive to use for people that prefer using the camera in more manual modes.

Firstly in my opinion I really like the way the camera is styled (i got the silver/black version) the buttons/switches for changing iso, focus type, quick menu and exposure etc. are in sensible locations and i am very impressed with the build quality. Yeah it doesn't fit into jean pockets, but it is very comfortable to hold in hand and comes with a decent leather neck strap which i really like. I like the addition of the optical viewfinder and i really like the digital overlay that provides useful information such as iso, shutter speed and once the camera achieves focus it provides location of the focus point (which is a bit odd that is isn't there in the first place but i guess better late than never!).

The photos that I have got out of it so far are very nice, the colour representation is particularly good. The lens is sharp and fast at the tele end (f2.8) and the macro mode is superb. I guess the major limitation for compacts is the low light performance, i can't say i've tested this extensively, but i set a limit of iso 800 whilst out and about on a trip to London and got a good mix of outdoor and indoor/low light shooting and found the low light performance to far exceed my expectations and to be fantastic for the iso range i had preset, the fast lens definitely helps in this regard.

Conclusion
So bottom line is, if you want a camera that is a joy to use (feels like a Dslr), puts a smile on your face every time you pick it up, takes fantastic shots and can afford to spend £500 on a high end compact. Then this is definitely the camera for you. That being said, i hear nothing but good things about the sony RX100 in terms of picture quality, but for my set of needs/requirements the x20 ticks all the boxes.
Hope this helps, thanks for reading.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
87 people found this helpful
on 17 March 2014
Not being a professional photographer, or an avid hobbyist, this camera does everything you would want it to do. The shutter time is perfect for crisp photo's, you can fiddle enough to make expressive photo's and it is retro looking.
fab and groovy product
on 5 June 2013
well made looks good but much more importantly the optics and sensor are top notch very easy to use as a point and shoot but also has full manual controls as well as being able to save to raw
on 28 December 2013
A litle expencive ! but is a fantastic camera ! all you want is there ! thanks! I can stop whit this machine!
on 24 July 2015
I didn't keep this camera as the Optical Viewfinder isn't nearly as good as I'm used to (Voigtlander Bessa R/Nikon 35 Ti) or want.
|11 Comment|Report abuse