Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.07

on 14 April 2014
Zoe Griffin already had a profile before starting her blog so she's already had a proven audience and knowledge of her field - celebrity gossip.

See, that's the key - building an audience that regularly comes back to your blog daily or even several times a day. That's even more important than keywording or SEO. It doesn't matter how search engine savvy you are or what 'clickbait' tricks you pull - readers will just bounce straight off a blog that has weak content.

I first became aware of the power of blogs as a potential money-maker and marketing tool in the mid 2000s via my interest in photography. There were a couple of photography blogs I followed that packed in great information and had hundreds or even thousands of visitors daily. The authors had 'authority' even though when you checked out their histories they were just low-level local photographers that had, through sharing information, become 'internet famous'. But that didn't happen overnight...

I started my own blogs not to make money directly but to 'build authority'. I'm a photographer and designer and blogging helped me to seem like the 'best man for the job' in my locality as I shared interesting information appealing to potential clients. A few posts ranked highly on Google for local searches and I started to get 'out of the blue' work I would never have got otherwise for very little outlay - and the blogging part was fun as I love to write and didn't feel a chore.

I've since added niche websites, exploiting what I've learned from blogging, for very specific aspects of my work. It means get many more enquiries than I ever did pre-blogging when my website was little more than a fancy online leaflet. As part of my work involves building websites, I make the power of blogging something I really try and sell to my, sometimes skeptical, clients.

Some time later I started a parenting blog, focussing on language learning, with my wife. After a 'voice in the wilderness' start it now gets around 7-10k unique hits a month and some of our posts often get widely shared in our niche. The blog doesn't directly sell products but we include Google Ads, which on a (very) lucky month may pay one or two household bills or at least give us some funds for a fancy meal out. Oh, and we've been sent quite a number of parenting-related freebies!

We didn't work hard at moving towards 10k hits, just set a target to add at least a few strong posts every week, but I took nearly four years to gain than traffic, albeit with some periods where we barely touched it. Who knows? Maybe if we work at it, this blog could become a key part of our income, rather than just provide a nice little 'dividend'. But it won't happen overnight.

The thing to remember is that blogging is not new - it's just a form of journalism, a form of writing. All the old rules apply. Clear concise, snappy content. Rich information. Entertaining.

Also, blogs work better when they are not robotic and anonymous. I followed a few money-saving and frugality blogs that were great but the authors were kind of in the background, hiding behind the site rather than making themselves part of it. Cheap meals blogger, Jack Monroe with her hipster mum persona front and centre, by contrast, is 'lifestyle media' gold and has become famous while better blogs have remained obscure.

So ignore the 'get rich blogging' hype. See blogging as journalism. Build an audience. Write about things you are truly enthused about not just what you think is profitable and have fun.
on 31 January 2014
I bought this looking for clues how to monetise my private research. While the book offers good advice it does seem restricted to mass gossip type content rather than something more serious, sadly this is more to do with the state of society rather than the authors efforts and achievements.
There are better ways of spending your money.
on 20 July 2013
Have now bought a lot of books, in an effort to learn as much as possible before I launch my own blog - and this one rates in my top three. Although the authors blog topic is not near to what intend to write about, the hints and tips she gives are clear, easy to understand and utterly useful! I have already marked her book full of notes and 'must- do' tags. - and can recommend it to anyone contemplating a blog career. It has the added advantage of being a nice read - straight, honest and fun!
on 2 February 2013
A masterclass in blogging! If you're looking to start a blog, Zoe covers all aspects you need to consider and illustrates them using her vast personal experience. It may be a bit overly technical on occasion, but on the whole I found the writing style informative, accessible and witty! It would give you all the motivation you need, whilst ensuring you're grounded in terms of expectations. It really is a must read!

Personally, I don't run a blog but part of my website involves written content and I picked up quite a few tips and ideas I could implement into my site. For me, the book was great in terms of website income generation and learning about new revenue streams I could add to my site LegitHotels.com, as well as different promotional strategies.
on 17 May 2015
I've only dipped into this so far but it looks very good. I've seen other books about this topic where the authors don't go into much detail. This one seems like the author really knows her stuff and is generous with the information she gives, including very specific advice such as the names of companies who pay bloggers, which is very useful.
on 24 March 2013
I have my own blog to revamp so I turned to Zoe Griffin's book for advice and I have been blown away by her practical down-to-earth approach, giving me the confidence to go out there and try her ideas myself. Her chatty style puts you at your ease and guides through the essential steps to get you started on your blogging career. Thanks Zoe!
on 17 February 2014
As a senior citizen (ok I admit to 76!) I am building my first blog and the title of 'Get Rich Blogging' appealed to me as my 'goal. I have it downloaded on my Kindle app on the iPad and read a few pages every day. I am learning so much about everything connected to Blogging from this book. The author has pitched the guidance just right, not just about blogging but how to use Social Media, set up accounts, Fan Pages, etc. I am using Word Press and thanks to this book I am learning daily. This book is strongly recommended to anyone thinking of blogging, whether for interest or to 'get rich'.
on 9 May 2013
I bought this book to help me with the content of my website and it is fabulous. It's very useful and the author is very frank doesn't hold back giving great tips, which is rare in self-help books nowadays.
on 26 March 2014
Lots of information on improving your blog and how to make an income. A little presumptuous at times, that we all know some rich or influential people. Although not entirely in the real world of most people, some helpful ideas.
on 14 September 2015
What a great book to read especially if you are a first time blogger. This is well written, fun and packed with helpful tips and knowledge to get you on your way. Bravo to Zoe for a well written book!