TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 January 2013
What started out as regular 800-word(ish) articles for Sainsbury's 'The Magazine' has been pulled together into this incredibly funny and often poigniant collection where Sue Townsend tells us all about the ups and downs of her life as writer and human being. Whether it's her poor relationship with the domestic appliances in her house, or the fact she seems to be the most burgalarised person I have ever heard of, everytime I put this book down I couldn't wait to pick it up again.

It's jam packed with little slices of life as experienced first hand by Sue and is worth every penny I paid to download it to my Kindle.

I was a huge fan of Sue's Adrian Mole books when I was a teenager and hadn't read anything of hers since. But on the strength of this book alone I've added all her books to my wishlist, the first of which - 'The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year' is already winging its way to me
on 19 August 2008
Pick up this book of short essays (each being only about 800 words) and before you know it, 100 pages has gone by. Ranging from the hilarious (fending off a burglar using a biography of Tolstoy) to the heartbreaking (the treatment of the elderly in British hospitals), Sue Townsend manages to share titbits from her very interesting life in small, easily digestible portions.

First written as a monthly column for Sainsbury's Magazine, these pieces are slice-of-life affairs. Sue's battles with her expanding waistline, her diminishing eyesight and the ticking clock are covered here in touching and very funny detail. I found this book impossible to put down, yet it would be relatively easy to dip in and out of on a long train journey or a flight. Not demanding, surely, but very satisfying; sort of like a natter with a good friend.
on 25 April 2017
She's brilliant and funny, she manages to do this in only a couple of pages for each chapter. A really rare talent.
on 3 April 2017
Very funny and honest! Relate to so many of the stories being a woman of a certain age. Read one or two stories a day - thought provoking and amusing.
on 18 June 2017
great book at a great price.
on 16 August 2017
Very funny
on 21 September 2016
Funny in places and interesting.quite true to life.I like the fact that places are real.I have read several sue Townsend books.
on 2 February 2013
I enjoyed this book, but wish I had read it in the era in which it was written - I had thought it was a recently authored book. Having said that, the subjects covered were quite interesting, and I have long been an admirer of Sue Townsend s books. I am now looking forward to reading The Ghost Children. In addition, this was my first go at reading a book on my new Kindle Fire, and it was GREAT!!
on 22 March 2017
good
on 27 June 2012
I bought this for 50p at a church fete but it would have been good value at the full price. The stories are sometimes funny, sometimes sad, always fun. Woven through her musings on day to day 21st century life is the story of her battles with health problems and her failing sight. She is always light-hearted about these problems, never self-pitying and reveals herself as a lady of huge bravery. Mostly though just sit back and enjoy her hilarious comments on being a middle-aged woman in Britain today...