Customer reviews

on 20 January 2014
I chose this book because of the respect I have for the work the SF do around the world. I was interested in what it takes for men to enter these forces, especially the Navy SEALs; the BUDS selection process being notoriously difficult to pass (I recommend the DVD Navy SEALs BUDS class 234 for an eye opener).
I liked this book (I read it on an iPad) as it is an easy, straight forward, straight talking read with simple messages; basically its all in the mind!
Draeger does make the point that if you follow this approach to mental toughness you will not automatically be headhunted by the US Navy SEALs press-gang! However, he believes anyone (ANYONE) can apply these techniques to any of life's challenges.
The language is clean and the physiology of fear is explained in easy terms, so kids of a certain age (maybe 13+) could easily read this too - a great school book as far as motivational messages go, I would argue.
I have re-read a few chapters to try to commit to memory the basic headings to start applying these techniques to my own challenges. Its actually quite cool to know that when you are focussing on achieving something really difficult (whatever it might be) you are thinking in a similar way to guys being physically thrashed beyond recognition in order to make selection to do the most dangerous job on the planet, or in fact actually doing the most dangerous job on the planet! The point Draeger makes is that these SEALs use the same techniques throughout their lives, even when they have long finished active duty. Enjoy.
VINE VOICEon 2 September 2013
No Im not a navy SEAL or any other kind of marine mammal. I do admire these chaps tho, (lets leave the politics aside)

This book distills the mindset down to actionable items that anyone can do and if it works for those tough guys, it should work for you. I enjoyed it, well written, straight to the point and informative. I hope it comes out in paperback so i can add to my library!
on 8 December 2013
This book is ok but the information is not particularly in depth and there really should be practical tools for us mortals.
on 5 November 2014
Good read and advice and tips