on 18 February 2013
Brilliantly funny jaunt into post war Britain. This will have you laughing out loud.

Wickedly funny plot with all the right characters, perfectly depicted, from a Duke to an incontinent solicitor and a busty barmaid to a virginal customs officer.

The plot is very well thought out and centres around the village pub, where intrigue and an unlicensed supply of fabulously strong and unpredictable alcohol literally lifts ones spirits to heights otherwise unknown. A dodgy former lover set to inherit the Hall and some very well placed ticks keep up the fun and frolics in between.

Excellent story all round and a hilarious way to spend an afternoon.

And now it's out in paperback too!
on 5 August 2013
This is easily the best, funniest book I have read for years. It is absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Unlike many books which take time to develop the story, that time often being tedious, this one is different. True, the story has to be built up, but it does so by segments contributing to the whole, each segment being superbly funny in its own right. Without giving the game away, however, the "courtroom" scene which brings the book to a climax is the funniest sustained piece of writing I have read since Tom Sharpe's early books. As a huge P. G. Wodehouse fan I am not easily impressed by others trying to write humour, so it is the greatest compliment I can pay to James Henry when I say that I am quite certain that Wodehouse would undoubtedly have praised this book to the rafters. It really is that good. The characters are superbly drawn, but it is in the mixing of the characters and the plot - or rather, several plots - that set this book apart. The story? I won't give too much away, but it involves a stately home, a will, various 'bent' Army officers, HM Customs & Excise, a voluptuous barmaid, a solicitor with...... oh, there are just too many wonderful characters in this book to name. Just read it - you MUST read this book - that is an order! Stand Easy.
on 2 March 2014
This was so badly written, with poor use of language and punctuation that I stopped reading it properly a third of the way through and just skipped through the end sections. It was sometimes difficult to even work out which parts of the text were dialogue and which were narrative. The only thing that persuaded me to continue was because I was interested to know the outcome of who would inherit the Stonely estate (which I had guessed correctly), although there was an interesting twist towards the end. Other reviewers have commented on how funny they found this book but I found the repetitive and crude school-boy humour extremely irritating. The only really funny part (which is why I rated it at 2 rather 1 star) was in the so-called enquiry to determine the inheritance issue, although some of that seemed to have been lifted straight from 'Blott on the Landscape'! I had bookmarked the follow-on novel for purchase but have now removed it from my wish-list - I won't be bothering reading any more books by this author
on 28 March 2013
Tried this book, as it was free at the time...& I must say - I'm very glad I did! Several chapters / scenarios had me laughing out loud...& although overall, it's a highly unlikely outcome - I didn't object :-). Spend an enjoyable couple of hours laughing at the eccentricity at the heart of our Englishness.
on 6 March 2014
a little or more in the vain of Tom Sharpe, which is praise of the highest order. This is rich, highly amusing and riddled with conjured imagery and situation comedy.
I so enjoyed an English Custom I bought The Village Goes Electric, and after reading only a couple of chapters it is obvious that it is going to be an equal.

Bordering farce but with a defined story line, both the books are worth the paltry sum demanded for them. James Henry eh? I'm watching you, as you are nothing short of brilliant.
on 10 September 2013
A well written, well thought out humorous novel. Not the easiest thing to write but James Henry carries it off superbly. A book that, unlike many others, truly deserves the title "laugh out loud". It easily matches the best from Tom Sharpe.
on 4 February 2014
I read the first chapter on line and immediately thought this is for me and I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Some extremely funny parts and an interesting plot.
Anyone with a slightly military background should enjoy this book.
on 9 June 2015
Very entertaining and well-written beach read, quite a few laugh-out-loud moments, about as close to Tom Sharpe as i've found. Make sure you read this one before 'Village goes Electric' otherwise you'll know the story!!!!
on 17 August 2013
A lot has been written about "Laugh out loud" comedies and it has to be pretty good to have that effect on me. However, the last part of this story had me howl and I had to put the kindle down.
on 8 December 2013
James Henry writes a good book, humorous but not laugh out loud, had a good read, great characters, and enjoyed every moment have purchased next novel, but sad to see he got there before me with a book about the nutters and weirdos that drive and ride buses