on 11 October 2014
I'm 5'11" and weigh a trim 12st12lb with 42" chest. I bought the XL as suggested in many other reviews and it was a good job. The fit is VERY snug, the material is certainly thicker than many other compression tops I've recently purchased too and will keep you warm in colder months. I'd imagine this to be unwearable from April onward. If you are any larger than the previous measurements then think twice about getting XL, you might need XXL. Comparing this top to say the Under Armor compression shirt, shows that really they are not compression tops - just tight t-shirts. This product is *genuine compression* and it may take some getting used to!

EDIT - I've come back to edit this review after a couple of months as the top is now bordering impossible to wear. It's shrunk in the wash over time and now here I am, certainly not big by normal standards, and I can't wear an XL top :/ I've downgraded my rating from 5 stars to 3 as this is feeling like wasted money - I wish I'd stuck with the regular baselayer.
20 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 January 2015
As others have mentioned the baselayers are incredibly tight. I could definitely have gone for a bigger size but having said that there's something comforting about the tightness of the material. It works well and the material is very thick, comparable to Canterbury of New Zealand products. It will be interesting to see how long they last and how they clean. I'll report back later with my findings but initial thoughts are that it's a good product, on the small side, but definitely gives me confidence when training.

UPDATE: Wanted to update this purchase after wearing and washing this quite a few times. The material has retained its shape, no shrinkage at all and has received very favourable comments about colour and material. The top is still tight but no tighter than it was on first day. Washes well and looks as good as it did when it was purchased. Will update in a few weeks time.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 August 2016
Fantastic! These compression layers are brilliant. I'm a woman, but I hate women's cut clothing, it's all made cheaper and with flattering cuts being the main factor rather than quality and warmth. So I bought a men's one. I'm tiny, so I got the smallest size. Perfect fit for a size 8 woman.
These are WARM. They'll stop you shivering out hunting or whatever else you're up to. Don't be fooled and think they're too small, these are meant to fit TIGHT. The tighter the better without cutting your circulation off. So don't size up, or they won't be as warm. They trap a layer of air around you, almost like an on-land diving suit. Then you pop your usual clothing over the top. They're thin enough to wear under normal clothing. The fabric is slick and nylon like, shiney tracksuit material with very discrete cuff and neck SUB logo on it. The inside fabric is brushed fleece type material and very, very warm and comfortable.
Everyone needs one of these in their outdoor wardrobe. Fabulous range of colours too!
on 2 December 2017
The price is great and it doesn't lack quality. It is warm and soft. But sizing sucks. Your normal size would be really small. Buy one or even two sizes up. Normal size is so small that you have difficulty putting it on. But how do you take it off...?
One person found this helpful
on 22 March 2017
Top quality cold weather base layer. Super compression. A little effort needed to put on and take off as should be expected for tight compression base layers. Once its on, is very comfortable with good mobility and freedom of movement. This is my second one and I have my first one from last year still in excellent condition. Very durable, great value for money.
on 19 January 2015
This baselayer is really nice in quality and it's really warm. I went for a large which is my usual size and I felt this was about right, it is very tight though, expect to have some fun trying to get out of it again! The only thing to mention is the mock neck is quite tight as well and sometimes it did feel a bit like I was being strangled when I was having to breathe really hard, so it might be worth considering the crew neck version. The mock neck did come in handy for tucking a neck scarf though.
on 27 June 2013
This is my first base layer, so I can't compare it to any other brands - however to me it does meet what it is advertised as.

Firstly as others have said this is a very tight top, so I ordered a size larger than normal. Even then it is still very tight - but that's the idea being a compression top!

Once I'd managed to squeeze into the top, I found it very comfortable as the material on the inside seems very soft. It also looks good on the outside, especially for helping to disguise my non washboard stomach!

I've worn the top for a number of mountain bike rides now in the last six months including over winter. It is certainly warm and feels great under a fleece or cycling top. It also seems to do a good job not making me feel sweaty. Although the outside of the top feels wet after a ride, the inside doesn't seem to.

Now summer has sort of arrived I've found this top far too warm to wear, so have purchased a short sleeve version too.

All in all I'm very happy with the purchase and can't fathom how other brands 4-5x the cost are so much better.
One person found this helpful
on 14 February 2013
Love these garments. Feel good on, feel warm on too.
Size wise, may come up a bit small so I suggest going up one size unless you was a REALLY tight fit.
Use these for footie training and as a base layer when out on the motorbike.
Usually delivered quickly so all good there as well.
The SUB COLD are a little bit better quality than the 'normal' SUB base layers IMO.
I have quite a few of both.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 November 2017
Purchased for use in obstacle course races during winter months as back up for a virus stay warm top. I have to say it’s kept me far warmer than the virus top and has lasted longer.
on 28 December 2017
Good value base layer as expected

I have used the Sub brand for several base layers for the kids and myself and they perform very well