Customer reviews

3,679
Flavour Name: Mealworms|Size: 5 L|Change

on 20 July 2016
I have been buying birdseed for a number of years and this is a very poor mix of seed. I was expecting something spectacular for the price of this size tub, especially with the logo "Extra Select" emblazoned on the front. The birds in my garden won't eat the corn of which there is a lot, or the green bits which I think must be dried peas. There are not enough black sunflower seeds or very small seeds. I certainly won't be buying this again.
on 8 June 2016
This has attracted a great variety of birds to the garden. Including Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Robin, Goldfinch, Sparrows Collard Doves, and even a Jackdaw having a go! The normal pretenders Starlings, Woodpigeons and a few Magpies seem attracted as well
The quality of the seed is obvious with virtually no cracked or milled product evident, no dust - no evidence of waste around the table.
In my opinion much much better than the Extra Select Robin and Songbird Mix I have reviewed elsewhere.

Buy Again Yes
Recommend to Friends Yes
on 25 October 2015
The Goldfinches really love this stuff and this is a brilliantly economic way of brightening up you bird feeder and garden, because sunflower hearts can be prohibitively expensive from your local garden centre.. There have been times when up to 10 goldfinches have been on the feeder at once, joined by robins, all sorts of tits, sparrows etc etc. This stuff really is the Rolls Royce of bird feed and you will be delighted with the result,but give it time as they have to discover it first! Naturally it depends on where you live. We live in Oxfordshire, but my Mother lives near Brighton and there was no sign of any goldfinches there, although it was still a magnet for other birds..
 Although I can’t personally vouch for the taste, texture and enjoyability of these dried mealworms our hedgehog, Humphrey, absolutely loves them. After being abandoned prematurely by his mum during our first frost, he was found wandering around the garden, weighing only 300g and too small to survive winter hibernation, so we had to help him gain weight.

Dried mealworms aren’t cheap and I looked at many sources online, local pet shops and supermarkets before eventually choosing these as offering probably the best value for money. As soon as they arrived and I topped up Humphrey’s food bowl, I could see him watching intently and once I’d moved away he crawled out and demolished the lot so they’re clearly delicious. We supplement his diet with poultry-based kitten food, suet sprinkles and a few other natural hedgehoggy nibbles but it’s always the dried mealworms which he tucks into first (see video).

My squeamish side was also pleased they were packed into a tub rather than a packet as used previously. I noticed that when in a flexible packet the mealworms can appear to ‘move’ which was a little alarming at first until common sense took over and logic told me dried mealworms couldn’t possibly be alive. That said, I still serve them from the plastic tub via a spoon...

Humphrey the hedgehog and I would very highly recommend these to anyone looking to feed wild birds or hedgehogs over the winter.
on 27 December 2015
This tub of no wheat wild bird seed is excellent, I live in a rural home &
i have pheasants which i feed & i have also just purchased a large bird feeder, i was surprised
at just how many finches & blue tits it attracted.. all the little birds & the
20 pheasants i have visiting my garden just cannot get enough of this seed,
well worth the money & the tub is great for keeping xmas lights in or nuts and
bolts once it is empty. arrived quickly too. One thing i will have to say though is that
i ordered 3 of these & they came together.. the box was not strong enough that it came
in because of the weight which unfortunately cracked one of the plastic tubs & although i could
use it for the pheasants i could not put it in the bird feeder because the plastic shards that went
inside the tub. However i have ordered two before & they were fine & it does not take anything
away from the product itself. I will be ordering one at a time in future, like i have in the past, hope
this helps. :)
the seed.
on 22 July 2016
This is a very good mix and at a reasonable price, (it works out at 77p a kilo and free next day delivery on prime) I have previously bought cheaper ones, but found that they were quite dusty and the birds were selective and a lot went to waste.
It has attracted a lot of species into the garden and I think we have been awarded several Michelin stars from the birds! Another bonus is that because the birds love this seed, very little is left and so there is nothing growing around the bird table apart from the grass.
I will be re-ordering soon, having it delivered also saves me lugging it to my car from the shop.
To sum up, I'm happy because it's well priced with no waste and the birds are happy with the variety and quality of seed.
on 4 June 2014
It's difficult to choose between the many available wild bird foods available, as it seems that every brand has delighted some reviewers, while leaving others disappointed. In this case I add my 'vote' to the delighted customers. My previous bulk seed purchase - a special offer from a discount supermarket - was considerably cheaper, but not nearly so popular with the birds, and contained quite a lot of a seed type which still remains on the ground uneaten. This 'Extra Select' brings them flocking, even when I don't put out meal worms and/or suet pellets in addition: sparrows, dunnocks, tits great, blue and coal, robins and blackbirds, as well as the numerous young starlings, pigeons and doves (I try not to be species-ist - all are welcome in my little yard); and is all consumed pdq.
Recommended!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 December 2012
If you want to attract goldfinches, greenfinches and siskens into your garden then this is the must have food. You do need a special feeder though. Buying it in big bags is a real money saver because the smaller ammounts are in my opinion over-priced. I only have one feeder out at present but use two if the weather turns nasty and I expect to use the whole bag this winter and spring. Bag arrived on time and I would buy my next bag from this supplier.
on 5 March 2016
Good quality seed. Our garden birds are loving this. In fact the 2nd day after we changed to feeding this seed I had what seemed like 100 eager sparrows, but was probably only 30-40, all anxiously awaiting their turn at the feeders. So many sparrows in fact that they attracted the attention of one of the local sparrowhawks. They are used to hiding from them, plenty of shrubs to give cover,so no harm done.
Really nice to not see so much discarded stuff on the grass and paving to attract feral pigeons and visiting mice. Will definitely buy this seed again/

Edited to say still love this seed, as do all the visiting birds. I do wish however that I could buy a smaller size sack at a fair price, to save the struggle getting it from the front to the back of the house (over 70)
on 29 December 2015
This is the best bird food I have found. More and more people are realising the importance of feeding our wild birds (whose population, on the whole, is decreasing at a frightening rate) and I feed them the whole year round and not just in the colder months. After all, they expend a lot of energy in the warmer months, nest building and feeding their young and therefore need to find a easy source of nutrition. I used to buy less expensive brands but found a large percentage of it was bulked up with (cheaper) wheat which most birds seem to not be particularly keen o nand therefore there seemed to be a lot of waste. This food is not wasted at all and tends to be devoured very quickly by the visitors to my garden including blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, house sparrows, nuthatches, great tits, coal tits, blue tits, jays, wood pigeons, chaffinches and a cheeky pheasant!