on 28 June 2014
Opening few chapters were as I expected and - like all the other zombie books I've read -described the zombie virus outbreak and how it all started. However, unlike most of those books, I wasn't bored witless and I thought the beginning of Dead Air was brilliant. Well, not the actual reason of how the zombie outbreak started - I thought that was a bit out there - but the tension that the author created when he described the slow, initial, almost serene turn from normal pleasant person to a flesh devouring monster. The suspense at wondering if that person was a zombie filled me with nervous anticipation and I actually had some semblance of dread whilst reading, which was a refreshing change to the usual eye rolling that normally accompanied these type of books.
Simply put - it was done right. Zombies were actually scary to read.

In terms of characterisation, the story focused mainly on Steve Wendell, a radio station manager. As far as hero's go he was exactly the type of person you'd want by your side in such a crisis. He was calm, composed and a leader. And not your stereotypical Rambo impersonator but instead someone who used brains over brawn. In fact that's something I liked overall about the book - the story wasn't like an encyclopaedia of every gun under the sun like most authors are contagious of (pun intended).

As the book wore on the early promise began to dwindle away when the author introduced more character POVs. Personally, I really hate it when characters constantly change and so I didn't enjoy it when the scenes shifted away from Steve. What can I say, I'm a one-man type of....erm....I mean I'm a one-woman...anyway I'm sure you get the point.

This is a zombie book (just in case you forgot) but there actually wasn't a lot of zombie craving action. Rather most of the book was contained behind the walls of Steve's radio station where the group of survivors were holed up in. The story focused more on the logistics of staying safe. Which suited me as I'm more curious learning of how one would go about being hydrated and fed in such dire predicaments instead of charging headlong into a swarm of zombies with just a hand-knife. I know I'm probably in the minority when I say that and die-hard zombie fans will no doubt be shaking their heads at me, scoffing 'amateur' under their breaths.

One of the better zombie apocalypse stories I've read and I would definitely recommend it to fans who have sporadic renewals of enthusiasm for such books.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 December 2013
A little bit slow and apparently disjointed to start with, I did wonder what I was letting myself in for. After a very short while however, the reason behind the cameos became clear and provided an excellent background to the main story.

The onset and spread of the disease is believable and well told, I don't think I am ever going to be able to pass by a manhole cover (particularly at night) with the same aplomb - but enough said on that subject!!

Some of the best character development and interaction it has been my pleasure to read in quite a while, a shame that some of them are lost along the way but then this is a Zombie novel!

A minor gripe about spelling in places and the use of incorrect words in others (repel instead of rappel) for example but I will take the excellent story line over the odd grammatical blip any day of the week. I have just bought the next one in the series and look forward to reading it in the New Year. Happy 2014 to Jon and all his readers!
on 27 March 2014
I gave book 1 4 stars, why?
I struggled with the first couple of chapters and thought about putting the book down and not continuing, but hey, thought give it another chapter. The tone of the book changed slightly and we started to talk with the characters in the book, rather than about them.

The first book centres around a small town in America. Steve Wendell runs the radio station, and gets to hear of strange happenings where the living come back to life, and start to eat the living.
He decides that if this was to come to his home town, he needs a plan, and begins to shore up on food, and other items in the radio station, he feels it is a safe place to live, because it is mainly secure, plenty of shops they can raid, and hopefully live out the situation until help comes, or a cure.

He enlists a small team to help him, including his so called girlfriend, and a female cop called Heather, Tick Tock and Brains from the radio station, they are all allowed to bring one person with them, food and equipment.

They live in the station for a while, but then when overrun with the zombies, escape and set sail in a boat with a little girl they found who appears to be immune, bitten some months earlier she has not turned.

A really good story.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 January 2015
I love reading Zombie books and watching Zombie films and on the TV. Interesting characters and interesting story line. Slightly different version of Zombies - they can live at the bottom of the seabed. Also people can be infected from having body fluids get into eyes, mouth, nose or open wounds. And it has a love story.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 January 2014
This book had really good potential and was a little different as you New how the virus started and how quickly it spread, it also had some funny bits,some Hart pounding bits and then some who on earth wrote this a 12 year old bits. Half way through I skipped a few pages as I was sick of reading how great life was in a dead world as the main character had found the love of his life and just happened to find a top of the range luxury pad at the top of a bank building complete with a hidden games room! It all just seemed a little to easy going and not enough zombies who by the way manage to open and unlock doors for each other. It also had a lot of American lingo that I didn't understand. Don't no yet if I want to read the other two books it didn't grip me enough to want to know if they survive or not, or just get married and have some clever zombies as witnesses!
on 30 January 2014
From the very first page I was hooked. Dead Air just never let you rest for a minute. It's incredible to think that 1 infected human can bring about world devastation. In many ways you can liken what happened in this story to the way life begins,with one cell dividing and so on until it becomes millions in numbers. The story builds nicely and introduces the characters well. By the time you are half way in you feel like you have been friends with them for years. It is full of twists and turns and stirs up just about every emotion you can feel. I am just going to download the second book of the series and really can't wait. I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever wanted to know what it feels like to become one of a handful of survivors I n a global holocaust and becoming responsible for the survival of the human race.
on 6 November 2013
When I saw this book on offer I thought "why not, it will pass some time". Well, I couldn't put it down. Great story line, well written, loved it. I cannot wait to read the follow on books.
on 4 March 2014
This is probably not the best book in this series but don't let that put you off, it's still a ripping good yarn. Other reviews criticise the onset of the virus and true, it's a little bit weak... But again, it's a work of fiction not a medical journal. Keep reading and as the story unfolds you will be hooked. The characters are a little bit sketchy but believable and there are a few shallow spots in the plot but all in all I really had fun reading this. I think the book cost me 77p and it's super value for that sort of money, I'm now on book 3 and the writing is improving all the time. Give it a shot, it's a great read from a new writer and I think Jon Schafer is one to keep an eye on.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 October 2013
Really enjoyed the story line and even the gory bits though they were graphic. A good story well told. Am of to get the next instalment.
on 12 November 2013
Great attention to detail, deals with the reason for infection and let's the reader comprehend the time scale. Best I've read in the genre. Recommended