on 31 August 2013
Although the first few pages showed promise, the rest of the book was unfortunately disjointed and disappointing. There were also so many spelling and grammatical errors that I found it impossible to enjoy.
on 21 August 2017
This was a good read, I wouldn't say amazing. It struck me as a cross between The Dark by James Herbert, Groundhog Day and an episode of Buffy.

Alma is a teacher with a troubled past that haunts her. But Alma doesn't remember what happened to her in the town of Widowsfield only that it was horrific. But the town doesn't want it to let it lie, it wants her to come back and complete the cycle. But will she live through it?

The tension started from the beginning of the book but didnt seem to grow for me as the book progressed. The characters were ok and fairly believable. I would like to know what happens with the series but in no real rush.
on 25 May 2014
I got this book as a freebie on Amazon and immediatley upon finishing it I was right back on there buying books 2 and 3 of the trilogy.

I find this is a kind of hard one to review without giving spoilers and I'm trying to reign myself in as my mind is still very much on the story and I am champing at the bit to get onto book 2. I have another book that I have been dying to read that's waiting on my kindle app which I planned to start after finishing this one, it's now going on the back burner till I have read the next two parts of this series.

It's different, it's original, it's a page turner, so much of a page turner that the birds were singing and daylight coming in the window by the time I finished it. I had to force myself to sleep and not start the next one right there and then.

The scenes and situations are written in such way that your imagination runs away with you and at times the graphic descriptions had me cringing. The writing style and the way story flows had me reminiscing of the earlier King and Herbert books I read years ago when I first discovered my love for horror and would make a great movie.

The skeleton man is coming and I got two more books to read before he gets here...
on 18 May 2017
Great start - exceptional actually, but then very confusing. Lots of wasted pages on shopping tips and haircuts and in fact most of the middle of the book can be skipped. It adds nothing. Decent ending as well but just too much repetition and padding. I've read another book by this author and it was much better.
on 14 June 2013
Reminiscent of Stephen King and James Herbert, this book has all the ingredients to scare and manipulate the imagination. It has mystery, intrigue and held my attention throughout. I liked the 'circular' feel and how it went forward and back in time - cleverly done, with a surprise 'ending'.

The characters were believable, although the impression of Alma quickly changed from when first introduced - we certainly follow her through the ups and downs of her journey.

I don't give spoilers but will say that if you like to be wowed with fear and mystery then this story is for you. A well-written tale that will bring tingles to your spine.

Of course, I've had to buy book 2 of the trilogy.
on 10 January 2015
Well written, the story dragged me onwards to the very end despite not being the type of book I would normally read. Did I enjoy it? No? Will I continue with the follow-up books? No. I really disliked the theme, hence the three stars only. But if I am honest I should have awarded four stars simply from the power of the writing.
If you are a horror fan, give it a go.
on 14 May 2017
A little compromised by the changes between timings in the earlier part of the book, however it all makes sense eventually. Benefits come from reading the rest of the series.
on 1 June 2014
discovered as free book and liked it, i'll buy the rest of them(2 books) as a trilogy.
I'm not saying it's the best i've ever read but as my opinion it is always interesting when i can get in a book easily and finish it soon,
It's just prove, the story or the characters got well together.
on 1 September 2017
Good read up until the last 2 or 3 chapters then it feels rushed as though the author was running out of ideas. Up until that point a very interesting read. Maybe the ending is explained in the next boons. However as a singular story. The ending made very little sense
on 3 July 2014
Loved this book. Yes, it's a little gory in parts and can seem confusing in other parts, but stick with it. I just loved the weirdness of it all and will definitely be reading books 3 & 4 ( should that be 314 !?!)