on 29 March 2015
Splendid little book, packs a lot in.
on 19 March 2014
I visited Istanbul for 3 days over New Year and had a fantastic time. Because of the short duration of my holiday I decided to focus on the major sites which this guide book covers well and its handy pocket size is convenient. However if you are looking to spend more time in Istanbul and explore in more detail I suggest you go for a “full fat” guide book which will not just cover the essentials.

In terms of suggestions of sights to see, restaurants and cafes to go to and hotels to stay at I can’t really fault the book – the food and drink were great, the hotel comfortable and the sights spectacular. The pull out map was useful as the data charges for roaming in Turkey are very expensive. The book also covered the key parts of the major sights such as Topkapi Palace, Aya Sophia and the Blue Mosque so you can conceivably tour these locations without an audio guide.

I did notice that prices for most sights have gone up since the book was published (but not massively) but otherwise a very useful introductory book.
on 22 September 2013
If you are a solo traveler like me, this is a good choice. In the book, its contain every must-see places you need to visit. Moreover, the book is pocket size. You can put it into your jean's back pocket.
on 13 December 2013
quite specific and professional advice a lot of practical and economic tips. But the layout of the book is not so logical
on 8 October 2013
Well structured guide book containing all informations you need for a sort trip to istanbul. It features a detailed map and lots of helpful tips. It's easy to read since it has lots of pictures and an attractive design. The only small disadvantage is the missing background information on history etc. which you shouldn't expect of a pocket version.
on 5 July 2014
Brilliant! The map was excellent, we found our way around the city with no problem at all. The information about the sights, museums, mosques, palaces etc etc was just enough to help us to make the most of our time in Istanbul.

Will definitely be buying a Lonely Planet guide for our next city break.
on 5 March 2015
Excellent guide. Very thorough details about the various places of interest. Even included a map. Only gave it 4 stars as it is heavy with all the content therefore not easy to carry around. Had to do your homework about the places you want to visit. Would certainly buy the other guides in the future.
on 8 October 2014
On first reading I thought the way the guide was organized was not ideal, but once I got used to it live in Istanbul I changed my mind. Perhaps would benefit from a clear upfront users' guide.
on 16 August 2013
The small pocket guide is very pratical in therms of carrying it. It has the minimum information we need to do a fast tour in the city of 5 or 6 days. Very well done.
on 15 November 2014
Good for a superficial overview of the city, but if you have not been to Istanbul before, I suggest buying a more in depth book.