Format: DVD|Change

I have been a huge fan of The Snowman ever since I was younger, and watched it multiple times every Christmas with excitement and love in my heart.

When The Snowman and The Snowdog was announced, I was very excited but also very nervous - Could it live it up to my (and many others) expectations given how exceptional The Snowman is?

I needn't have worried - I fell in love with The Snowman and The Snowdog straight away! The magic of Christmas was re-ignited in my heart and I loved every second of it! Although it is obviously been done in a time where visually more can be done with special effects, quality and visuals, I loved that the 'drawn' feeling remained and in that way it stayed true to the original.

I also loved the tie-in with The Snowman. In The Snowman and The Snowdog, a new family move into the house of the family from The Snowman, and the new boy finds a box in his room filled with the scarf, hat, eyes and nose, and a picture of The original Snowman. This then inspires the new boy to re-create the picture, with the addition of The Snowdog, and once again we are treated to a spectacular story as they come to life!

The Snowdog is a BEAUTIFUL addition, I feel The Snowdog really completed the animation, it would not have been the same without the charm of the Snowdog and the delight he brought to the boy. The enire animation was fantastically thought out, the music was good too, it will never be "Walking in the air" but it fitted in perfectly with the feel and theme of the story. I was so emotionally swept up in the story and I even had a few tears too!

This is a beautiful story of love, friendship and magic at Christmas. It is something to be treasured and watched again and again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 December 2012
I can remember watching The Snowman when I was a young girl. Immediately, I was caught by the magic and innocence of the animation - it was sweet, funny, charming but with an obvious sad ending. As another reviewer states, I think it made it easy for youngsters to grasp that nothing lasts forever but this shouldn't take away any of the fun or enjoyment that you feel within a moment. So, it was with excitement that I eagerly awaited the sequel for Christmas 2012, THE SNOWMAN AND THE SNOWDOG. Luckily, it lived up to the high expectations from all those years ago.

The snowdog is the new addition to the story, to make it new and fresh. A young boy discovers, under the floorboards in his bedroom, an old shoebox. Inside the box lies a photograph of a snowman and another young boy. There are also the bits of coal, the hat and the scarf that the boy used for the original snowman. Here, the difference is that this young boy decides to make a small snowdog, as companion for his own snow creation. This helps to make this offering different enough for it to be enjoyed in its own right, whilst also keeping some of the magic from the original animation. The echo of the prequel means that although the snow creations inevitably will melt away, there is the promise that the magic which is able to momentarily bring them to life remains, even after the snow melts away completely.

Personally, for me, THE SNOWMAN AND THE SNOWDOG was the highlight of Christmas 2012. The simple animation, resembling line drawings, is a nice change from all of the CGI and other computer techniques used in modern animations. For me, it recaptured the early excitement and joy that I felt as a young girl, leading up to Christmas Eve night, hoping that some magic could find its way into her life.

Highly recommended viewing for now and future Christmases.
on 25 December 2012
My seven year old, my mother and I watched this and all three of us thoroughly enjoyed it. It tells the story of a lonely boy, moving with just his mother to what appears to be the original house from The Snowman (now surrounded by flats). He discovers an old picture of James with the Snowman, and with it a hat, scarf, buttons, and nose... He uses them to recreate the Snowman and also, since he has lost his own dog, a Snowdog, and the magic begins again.

Certainly this story has been produced with today's youngsters in mind - for example the soundtrack is clearly more modern, and yet done very well so that it doesn't jar. (Still can't quite compete with the iconic Walking in the Air though!) I particularly enjoyed the nods to the original - so there was a flight sequence, yet it was transferred to modern day London. The animation looked smoother, yet was reminiscent of the original, and there were many nice touches of humour. I also read in another review that the Snowdog steals every scene, and must agree with that! The ending was very moving, and brought quite a lump to my (usually cynical!) throat.

Given what a difficult task following The Snowman must have been, I thought this was excellent. I expect there will be purists who feel that it is too modern, and not as "magical" as the original. Following something so well known will always meet with a certain amount of criticism, and yes that original impact of course can't be replicated. However, although this was different and updated, I definitely felt they tried to keep to the spirit of The Snowman. My mother and I liked it very much and we'd probably give it 4.5 stars. My daughter, who I suppose is prime "target audience", absolutely loved it, and in fact felt it was even better than the original (she laughed more) - so I think they achieved what they set out to do, in bringing a well known tale slightly more up-to-date. And of course, she now wants her own Snowdog....

All in all, a lovely Christmas tale.
on 30 December 2012
I wish I'd known before I watched it that it begins with the death of the little boy's adorable old dog. In the opening minutes we see the boy and his mother grieving over a pile earth in the back garden. This grief is what prompts the boy to build a snowdog. Of course, the dog comes to life, but it's not the same dog. Getting another dog can't replace the first one, although that seems to be the implication. The boy also doesn't seem to have a father either, so perhaps that is what prompts him to built a snowman. But sadly, like the original animation, the snowman (and now the snowdog) are gone by the morning. The end mirrors the beginning, with the boy and a new dog grieving over a pile of snow in the back garden as the credits role. And just to make things more unhappy, at the very end of the credits we have the name and dates of John Coates who has since passed away. I know you might think it's harsh to mention that last point, but it was as if the makers were trying everything to make it depressing. My father spent Christmas in hospital with cancer, so I'd hoped this programme would offer some light relief. I'd read an article about the programme and seen all the trailers. They all led me to expect a lighthearted, but thoughtful, story. Instead my mother went out of the room after the first few minutes in tears. You might see this as a wonderful story of hope and new beginnings, but if you have lost a pet, or anyone else, this film could easily touch a raw nerve and be very upsetting. For me, the happy and sad aspects of this story are completely out of balance for such a short film. It is very well animated, but there was no need to bookend it with misery. It ruined what could have been a lovely, happy story. I recommend The Muppet Christmas Carol - more to watch, lots of great songs and everyone's happy at the end. That's what Christmas TV should be about.
on 26 December 2013
I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS ANIMATION IT IS BRILLIANT . I WATCH IT EVERYTIME IT'S ON TV. I BOUGHT THIS DVD ON REGION 1 IMPORT THE COLOUR IS IN 480P AND IS A LOT BETTER THAN OUR PAL 576P COLOUR SYSTEM. THE STORY IS ABOUT A LITTLE BOY AND HIS MOTHER WHO MOVE INTO THE SAME HOUSE AS THE LITTLE BOY USE TO LIVE IN (FROM THE SNOWMAN) THIS LITTLE BOY SADLY LOSES HIS DOG WHO PASSES AWAY. HE FINDS A BOX UNDER HIS FLOOR BOARDS AND BUILDS A SNOWMAN & A SNOWDOG. AS WITH THE SNOWMAN WHO COMES TO LIFE SO DOES THE SNOWDOG. THEY GO TO SEE SANTA WHO GIVES THE LITTLE BOY A MAGIC COLLAR WHICH HE PUTS ON THE SNOWDOG WHO THEN MAGICLY TRANSFORMS INTO A REAL DOG GRANTING HIM IS REQUEST FROM SANTA. THE SNOWMAN SADLY MELTS AWAY THROUGH THE NIGHT. THIS ANIMATION IS A SHEER DELIGHT TO WATCH AND THE MUSIC SCORE IS JUST LOVELY THE MUSIC & LYRICS ARE JUST BEAUTIFUL.
I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW ANYBODY WHO'S SEEN THIS CAN GIVE IT LESS THAN 5 STARS ?
WORTH EVERY PENNY SOMETHING TO TREASURE FOR YEARS TO COME
on 20 December 2013
First, let's be clear, here. This is a perfectly charming story - the requisite characters portrayed are solid enough - the plot is plausible, & on its own, delightful. This should not, however, be placed in the same context of the superlative 'The Snowman' - even though (he) makes a reprisal for the same. Obviously, this is thirty-plus years on from that original (& timeless) award winner. Ms Audus' efforts are certainly worthy , but the rather edgy reality removes it from the genre of its fantastical & wholly enjoyable predecessor. It is hard not to compare the two stop-animated frame animations (& I shall always favour the former- no doubt about it). Given the more street-wise children of today, it is certainly fitting - in the grittier world we (now) live in, but I just cannot reconcile it with Raymond Briggs' gentler proffering.
By all means, purchase this for your child(ren) - it should make their day, though the tears, which once were shed, will be emotional outpourings of a very different nature, & not so happily orientated. I digress....
on 27 December 2012
I have watched the Snowman every Christmas Eve since it hit the TV in 1984. I was mesmerized then (I was 22 years old!)and I still am. As other reviewers have stated, the Snowman sums up the magic of Christmas and the child in all of us...still wondering if Father Christmas would come and leave us presents once more...and the sadness at losing the snowman at the end...
Then I watched The Snowman and The Snowdog....Wow!! It was wonderful...I really didn't know what to expect, but I was not disappointed. The story is modern and I loved how it continued in the same house as all those years before...when the child finds the box hidden under the floorboards...the child's love for his dog pulled at my heart strings...and how the whole story came together was just fantastic...and yes, I shed some tears as I found the whole story quite emotional...
I feel happy that it leaves the story open for this tale to continue indefinitely...through future Christmases to come...and for future generations to enjoy...
I know I shall most certainly be watching the Snowman tales until I am very old!
Very highly recommended.
88 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 July 2015
Execellent value and greatly appreciated by my relative whom I bought it for her grandchild. This item was taken back to South Africa where she had a little bother aquiring the same.
Thanks again Amazon for good service!!!
on 2 January 2014
Love the way the same scenes are used as from the Snowman. I think that even not used at Christmas this is a great film for any child who is recently bereaved of a dog. The boy makes a snow dog and sends his request to Santa for a dog. On getting to meet Santa he is given a collar and on return home after midnight and places the collar around his snow dog it comes alive! The only let down is the soundtrack!
on 10 November 2013
when this was on last Christmas, I fell in love with it, the storyline, the music I was over the moon when they said they were bringing out a sequal to the snowman. and when I heard it had been released I was over the moon, I preordered it. and when it came I was delighted. it is just as lovley as the snowman, I hope they release a sequel to the bear. I would reckomend this to a friend it is a simply lovley story.