Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 24 May 2009
The Mediaeval Baebes have done some stunning albums, so this new one has a lot to live up to. Sadly, I don't think it reaches the melodic heights of Mirabilis or the vocal prowess of The Rose, and the studio version of Miracle is disappointing after hearing the remix, even if it is more authentic. I got the feeling I'd heard much of this before and that perhaps the well must be running a bit dry. There is a studio version there of previously available live track My Lady Sleeps that adds nothing to what you get in the excellent live version. Other tracks similarly seem to add nothing more for those who have their other albums, but there are two tracks that do redeem the album slightly - Ecce Chorus Virginum and Mad Song.

Anyone buying a Mediaeval Baebes album for the first time should start with Mirabilis.
on 2 July 2009
if you haven't listened to medieval baebes before, i can wholeheartedly recommend Illumination, The Girls have excelled themselves by putting their music to some our greatest poets words. The effect is spellbinding
from the first to the last track the professionalism of the music, lyrics,vocals and composition is first class.
on 29 June 2009
This is the sixth Mediaeval Baebes album and I have to admit I came to listen to it with a little trepidation, I don't know why, especially considering that 'Mirabilis' was their best album , so this had a lot to live up to.

The main difference with this album this the Mediaeval Baebes themselves, their numbers seemed to have reduced down to six, I'm sure the number was at least double that on the album 'The Rose.' I don't know if this has had an effect on the artistic talents of the group or not.

However, the new album does have some good material on it; there is a mixture of modern verse with mediaeval music and the traditional mediaeval verse with mediaeval music, and this change in direction was surprising and unexpected.

I also noticed that at least four songs have been adapted from poems by classic poets, Mad Song by William Blake, My Lady Sleeps by H W Longfellow and Yonder Lea and Red, Red Rose by Robert Burns.

Overall the best songs are by far 'I Sing Of A Maiden,' 'Yonder Lea' and 'Sunrise' the album is good, it's just not the Mediaeval Baebes at their very best, the change is direction was surprising and affective and listening to it a few times redeems the album.
on 7 January 2010
I'm a long time Baebes fan and have all their albums. Whilst I sometimes mourn their move away from the Mediaeval style music era, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy this album from start to finish. There's not a track that I want to skip by (I must admit to occasionally doing this on a couple of albums, although it's only the odd track!) Enjoy this album as a style unto itself and when you want to listen to the Mediaeval-style of old Baebes, well you've always got Salva Nos to fall back on!
on 11 December 2009
Great to see that everyone has given this album good reviews, but I have to disagree with those who say that this is not as good as Mirabilis! When you first ever listen to it, you may think that it is on par with Mirabilis, but by the second listen, when you aren't in such a hurry to hear all of the tracks, each individual song begins to stand out, and it is clear that this album has many merits. It has several 14th and 15th Century tracks in it, the slow tracks of the album have beautifully layered vocals, but the faster tracks with the catchy drumbeats and real authentic feel of the Tudor/Medieval banqueting hall (of which there are several) are far better than any on their previous albums. By far the best tracks are I sing of a Maiden, Miracle, Yonder Lea, and Sunrise, but Ecce Chorus Virginum and Desert Rose are also really catchy and uplifting.
You absoultely MUST buy this album if you are any of the following a) a baebes fan b) a lover of medieval/tudor history c)a classical music fan.
I recently went to the baebes live concert and everyone of all ages was tapping their feet and singing along. Five Stars!
on 3 January 2011
Mediaeval Baebes - Illumination (Genepool)
With over a dozen years under their collective belt, various awards and half a million record sales, it's no wonder that the Mediaeval Baebes are the stars of their chosen genre; and what a genre it is, a hybrid of primitive classical music, gypsy folk and mediaeval madrigals. I'm not sure who the competition is.

Their 2009 album "Illumination" remains their most recent release, and it's a beautiful collection of pieces that showcase both the Baebes individual voices and their exquisite harmonies. Highlights are plentiful and often coincide with genuine spine tingles. "Suscipe Flos Florem" begins with a gorgeous choral arrangement and would've been the perfect song if 14th Century nuns had founded Glee Club. "I Sing Of A Maiden" represents the group's folkier side, and I'd be temped to sing along if it weren't for that fact that it's as near to perfect without my tuneless wail. "Desert Rose" with its Middle Eastern vibe and gypsy rhythm may not be completely representative, but it's a great way to start an album, which I'm enjoying immensely. 7/10.
on 21 April 2014
Their lineup seems to change regularly but their music remains enchanting. I bought 'The Rose' after hearing a feature about them on Classic FM some years ago and, after a quick search on Amazon, was delighted to find more albums for my audio delectation. Buy this disc - you shall not be disappointed!
on 1 December 2015
Brilliant, maybe their best yet, I shall have to re-listen to the others. Not too keen on "my love is like a red rose" but everything else is fab. A great mix of uptempo, can't keep still and ethereal.
on 1 October 2014
i absolutely love their sound... awesome album... going to buy more of their Albums...
on 26 May 2009
Disagree entirely with the previous review, perhaps this person is not really into the Baebes.

The Album is different thats for sure and when I read that the album has taken a middle eastern twist which I wasn't sure about but when listening to it, it really grows on you.

What I love about the Baebes is that each album is different and with this one they are following their roots, well done and thank you.