on 6 November 2015
Gerald Donaldson having previously provided two of my favourite motor racing biographies, Fangio and Gilles Villeneuve, I eagerly anticipated his biography of James Hunt. I was not disappointed. This is a superb book and Gerald Donaldson is to be congratulated not just on the quality of his writing but also on the quality of his research. Having known James Hunt briefly, early on in his racing career, I was familiar with the details of his racing to which this book provided a valuable aide memoire. What I was less familiar with were the details of his childhood, personal life, and the years following his abandonment of his racing career. In all these areas Donaldson throws a very large light. This is a very informative biography.
3 people found this helpful
on 17 May 2017
This guy made it the hard way. I've not finished the book yet but this is so interesting and you get an understanding of how hard he worked to become world champion. You don't even have to like motor racing to enjoy this book
One person found this helpful
on 2 April 2014
I bought this biography after seeing the film Rush about the 1976 world championship but I wanted to know more about the character of James Hunt. This book delivers in spades and I could not put it down. I am not a grand prix fan but this book has made me an unlikely convert. It captures not only the essence of what made a great and unconventional man tick but for those of us who knew little about formula 1 racing it opens up a whole n new world. I totally respect the drivers and applaud their commitment in the face of such dangers.
on 30 May 2018
This is a very well written and enjoyable book. Really takes you into James Hunts life and the era. Top marks to the author. Definitely worth a read.
on 25 August 2015
It is a well written good read. I enjoyed the book immensely, and it covers in great detail Hunts racing career. I would have liked a bit more insight into the man behind the persona, and the later part of his driving career. In some was Donaldson is a little too reverent to Hunt, not challenging his accident prone driving or drink & drug problems. But the last chapter is spectacularly poignant and brilliantly written.
on 14 June 2017
Half way through this book & one of the best reads for a long time.
Covers in depth many relevant points through his life.
on 1 August 2016
If you want to know about the flawed genius that is James Hunt, this is the only biography you should read. Genuinely brought a tear to my eye towards the end.

A legend in so many ways
on 8 July 2014
What was this guy on! The book is extremely well written and is interesting. Every paragraph about his life off track is action packed. The Forrest Gump film had Forrest dancing with Elvis Presley, being interviewed with John Lennon, American football, Vietnam war, being shot in the buttocks, etc etc. This book goes way way beyond that.
on 19 October 2013
Having never had any interest in Formula 1 racing as a sport this was a unusual choice of subject for me to pick, but having seen the film Rush, I was interested in finding out more about the two main characters. I was really pleased I did as this book proved to be a brilliantly written portrayl of a very interesting man that I found very difficult to put down! I would strongly recommend this book to anyone whether you are interested in Formula 1 as a sport or not. Some of the racing terminology might have been lost on me at times but the story of James Hunt as a person both in racing and his personal life was very fascinating!
on 27 June 2016
Here it is. The full biography and it seems as complete as it gets. It gives you a perfect insight of James Hunt's life. I strongly advise it for any F1 fan from the 70s and of course to any James Hunt fan.