on 5 April 2016
Good concept but not particularly well written. Selah is irritating, reckless and comes across as a spoilt child initially. Sketchy info on what happened to her father and the whole reason she's where she is which is an illegal drug called Blood Dust barely gets a mention; nor do we find out any more about it. A bit of back story re her father would've been helpful. This book did have its moments but not engaging enough for me to read the second book so it's a no from me.
One really annoying aspect was the way the author continually made reference to Selah "raising her chin" or she "lifted her chin" to convey some kind of arrogant defiance. It was used far to many times and just became irritating and another reason why I won't be reading another. There's far better out there, Nalini Singh's guild hunter series for one.
on 23 February 2016
This was a pretty good dystopian novel with vampires ruling over LA and Miami. With a Treaty emphasizing that they stay within their walls, so long as we leave them alone, the United States has turned into a horrible life of segregation- the rich escape to better places and the poor remain in the dust, to suffer. To eat or be eaten.

Which is why Selah Brown is way in over her head when she decides to go into the depths of Miami where her grandmother resides, all to find out what happened to her dad after he questioned one too many powerful people in the government. She goes there without thinking, without planning, and what happens instead is so horrific- so thrilling -that you can't not stop.

Selah (beautiful name) was a little annoying because of how young she was, which brought on a lot of the usual insecurities and fears one gets when the 'doing' happens a lot more than the 'thinking'. On one hand I love her recklessness, but in the moment, it was frustrating to see her do stupid stuff and feel surprise whenever things didn't exactly go to plan.

A little naive for one with a bit of cockiness, but again, I rather liked her for it. The details were nice but sometimes they took away from my flow of reading, especially when things got intense. I ended up trudging through some beautiful things just to get to the point.

Overall this was a pretty good read, especially when Selah turned extremely badass (YES). The gory scenes were most excellent, they saved me from the boring moments of Selah's reckless behavior, but in the end, I was hooked into this series. This is a 50/50 for recommending it. She ends up with a guy but not much romance in here to really make it at all believable. The action scenes and the world set up is incredible, but unless you have the patience for details and elongated scenes, this might not be the book for you. You'll either like it in the end or find Selah too reckless (I use that word a lot, don't I?) to enjoy the book. I went all the way and personally think it was worth it.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 9 February 2014
With so many vampire books out there it's refreshing to come across one as original as this.
The vampires have Miami and LA and the war is over! While most people living within the walls of Miami would do anything to get out seventeen year old Seleh Brown willingly enters. After the disappearance of her father while investigating a new drug 'Blood Dust' Seleh leaves New York and moves to live with her grandmother in Miami with the intention of trying to discover what's happened to her father and what exactly is 'Blood Dust'
As soon as I started reading I was hooked, it's a great story with some interesting characters and I can't wait to read the next book.
Why then 4 stars and not 5, well to be honest I'd give 4.5 if I could, the reason well firstly it really annoys me when the female lead in so many books just has 'idiot' moments, there's one part where Seleh is told to be quiet, not get noticed and not drink anything so what does she do...the exact opposite. I know she's only seventeen, but seriously and this is not her only such moment it just took the shine off the early part of the book for me and to be honest if the first few pages wouldn't have gripped me so much then I may have stopped reading but even though it happens early on I was fully invested in the book and nothing would have stopped me reading the rest, after these 'moments' the book really came into it's own and was a fantastic read. The second thing I wasn't sure about was that the vampires would willingly settle for Miami and LA places known for sunshine, just seemed odd.
on 13 April 2014
I generally enjoy vampire stuff and thought this sounded quite interesting. Unfortunately I felt it was a bit rushed and didn't go into enough detail in areas where I think it should have done. The main character, Selah, has given up her safe and comfortable life in New York and entered the vampire city of Miami, to try and find out what has happened to her missing father and continue his investigations into something known as Blood Dust. Miami has become a terrifying place, a post-apocalyptic wasteland where most people exist not knowing whether they will live to see another day. Selah goes to live with her grandmother, Mama B, in one of the many small communities who live together and help each other stay one step ahead of the vampires. Mama B is a well respected and fiesty individual who makes it all too clear to Selah the dangers all around her. Selah, of course, defys all the rules and advice that she is given, and repeatedly puts herself in danger. She gets to know a headstrong Latino girl called Maria Elena who takes her out into the dangerous night and shows her around.

All sorts of chaos ensues. However, Blood Dust barely gets a mention and it felt as though the main premise of the story was forgotten about. Selah acts as though Maria Elena is her closest friend in the whole world, yet they've only really spoken to each other a couple of times and hardly ever see each other. Selah also meets a character called Cloud who is the leader of a resistance movement and despite only a handful of encounters, seems to end up in love with him. It all seemed a bit disjointed and ultimately spoilt the story. This book leads into another book called Vampire LA. Unfortunately, the sketchiness of the first part has left me with little motivation to continue with the rest.
on 19 June 2014
So this was a free download that I started reading whilst waiting for the next book in the series I am currently reading to arrive! I was pleasantly surprised because I loved it! Even when my books arrived I didn't stop this 1 as I normally do! No I had to finish this 1 and will definitely get the next book! It's original and a really enjoyable read! I was totally lost in the story and found I was looking forward to some me time so I could carry on reading! Its about a girl that moves to a city run by vampires after a war between humans and vampires! She goes for answers into her fathers disappearance but finds a lot more! total thumbs up, five stars and will highly recommend!
on 5 May 2014
I wasn't really sure about this book at first, but as soon as I started reading it I got into it and couldn't put the book down. I would say a teen or young adult read. It's a slow start but I decided to read the whole book and it is defiantly worth reading. All in all an awesome book! Now I'm getting the other.
on 18 June 2014
WOW!!!!! What a great read. Wonderfully written and constructed from beginning to end. Reels you in and hooks you. Could not put it down. Excellent.
on 19 May 2014
Fantastic can't wait to read the next book! Finished almost in one go. Kindle fell from my hands when I eventually fell asleep!
on 17 May 2014
Pleasantly surprised- easy to read and a enjoyable book. Could easily read more of the series with no worries. :)
on 24 February 2014
I didn't like the book but this is just personal preference. For me it felt like it lacked something and it didn't engage enough.