TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 January 2018
After seeing the film so many times, and expecting the biggest and most popular song of all, 'Do you hear the people sing', the song of the barricades, the students anthem, call it what you will. The song that everyone who has ever seen the film knows, who has heard it, hummed along to, sung out loud with, karaoke'd to, etc IS NOT on this CD. Why 😤 for goodness sake? A very short part of it is included on the final track, but you don't get the thrill and excitement of the full song, and to exclude it quite frankly is sacrilege in my opinion. If this song isn't one of the 'highlights' of this film, I don't know what is! This rest of it is very good though, but without this song it's really not complete.
One person found this helpful
on 20 August 2013
I bought this as I really enjoyed the movie. This is a great CD, the songs are sung beautifully and are incredibly uplifting and emotional. Be aware though that this does not include every song from the movie. The movie is 2.5 hours long and is 99% singing so there's too much music to fit on one CD, this is the 'highlights'. There is a two-disc CD with more of the music so you may want to purchase that CD instead.

The reason I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 is because, as other reviewers have said, 'Do You Hear the People Sing' is not included. I really felt this song should have been included as it seems to be to be one of the most memorable in the movie. I understand they can only include a limited selection on this CD but I think that song should have been included in place of one of the not so memorable ones that is included.
on 12 February 2013
Having watched the concert some 40 times (on DVD) and seen the show twice (Sheffield and London), I was interested to see how the film industry tackled the musical. Strange to say, the film managed to follow the book slightly more closely than the shows (yes, I have read the book - once). However, I received the CD before going to see the film and was slightly anxious that they had written a further song, "Suddenly", which wasn't in the shows. Was this going to be another case of Hollywood trying to 'improve' the story?! Hollywood's improvements usually rip the heart from the movie by ripping the art from it. But in this case it was OK.
The only weakness in the film and CD is that of Russel Crowe who to be fair is not a singer and that showed in both film and CD. I personally think that Javert's part should be sung by a baritone voice and not by a tenor (Crowe). But it is a great movie nonetheless and if you liked that, you'll like this CD.
on 17 April 2013
This musical turned film is very fun to watch, and I love the drama at the beginning. I think it is about shock tactics as much as beauty; emphasising the extreme and sick level of privilege the bourgeois had over the poor and dying. Maybe 1000 time more powerful than the lives of the poor, the rich had what we had now, and had enigmatic, enchanting love filled lives in a world full of the poverty and nothingness of the past. Also, in the film (in a subtle way) and show as well is the idea of the injustice of physicality, the power of physicality in a relationship metaphorically shown by Claude Michel in the cannon barricade scene. All this comes together to show that further, prison, versus the royalty of the bourgeois level of heaven on earth is a further 1000 times apart and the show hits you in a powerful way, as does this film version!
on 2 March 2014
Not a bundle of laughs but probably the best film musical I have ever seen. Anne Hathaway, Samantha Barks & Eddie Redmayne are superb. I defy anyone not to have a few tears when Anne Hathaway as Fantine sings 'I Dreamed a Dream'. Sacha Baron Coen, & Helena Bonham-Carter are O.K. but nowhere as good as Alun Armstrong and Jenny Galloway from the concert. Russell Crow as Javier is good but nowhere as commanding in acting and singing as the performers in the two anniversary concerts. Hugh Jackman in the lead as Jean Valjean such an excellent actor with a great voice but does not quite have the range of Colm Wilkinson. A really memorable experience if you like serious musicals and the great work of the writer and composes Boublil and Schonberg.
on 22 February 2013
Having not read any Victor Hugo, but having seen the stage musical, the film soundtrack is exceptional.
The fact that all the actors/actresses sing instead of the music being dubbed on is what makes this recording all the more incredible!
I have CD of the original cast singing the songs, and wonderful as the performances are by many notable singers the 'raw emotion' shines through this latest offering.
Please take the opportunity to see the film, and decide for yourself.
A painful, yet exhilarating tale, of hope and the promise of a brighter tomorrow.
Once you hear it through, your own heart will be filled with joy!
on 24 January 2013
Contrary to my original expectations of the movie and soundtrack, I was completely blown away. Anne Hathaway had me in tears with her enchanting cover of "I dreamed a dream", and throughout the movie I found myself mesmerised and emotionally exhausted by the very end!
My only criticisms with the soundtrack is that "Do you hear the people sing" doesn't get it's own spot on the album, yes there is a bit in the epilogue but in my opinion that is one of the best songs in the movie and deserves longer than 30 seconds at the very end.
Also there is a fair bit cut out of "Look Down", I was looking forward to singing along with that!
on 8 February 2013
After having seen the movie twice I decided to purchase the CD, although it only has the highlights of the show it has covered the main numbers from the production. I could not help but notice that another person left a review that they were disappointed that the Peoples Song ( or some people call it the Rebels Song ) was not on it. I would like to inform them and anyone else that is deciding to purchase this CD that it is on it under epilogue the last track on the album the reason I am making this point is that to me it would be criminal if that particular track was not included.
If it is the full show on CD that some people require then the only purchase is the Original London Cast which covers everything from beginning to end.
For me this CD is great for the car so that I can relive some of the most important scenes to me.
Enjoy all those who purchase.
on 1 June 2013
I enjoyed the film of the musical and wanted to have some of the songs, which exactly what this is..
UNFORTUNATELY some of the Highlights selected for the CD are not what I was hoping to hear. ...whilst some of the songs I left the cinema humming, were not on. The balance of soongs on the CD seemes weighted towards the first part of the story whislt the latter part is only lightly included.

The CD is a "taster" of the musical. Good as that, but could have different choice of tracks :-)
on 31 July 2015
I am almost addicted to the film so I felt I had to buy the soundtrack to listen to on holiday as I wouldn't get the chance to watch it for two weeks. It made a brilliant playlist for my train journey. I listen to it before going to sleep as well. I love it and have listened to it so much that I know almost every word to the entire sound track. They have picked the right songs for it to make sense but you should really watch the film first. I think my favourite track has to be, 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables', which is sung by Eddie Redmayne. Fantastic.