on 22 November 2016
I bought this for my thirteen year old child for school- they had to write a book review on any 19th-20th century genre and author that they wanted, so they chose to be obscure, as usual, and decided on H.P.Lovecraft.

This anthology iOS excellent, it includes some brilliant stories and is easily read and accessible for anyone. It kept them reading non-stop and they finished the book in about 3 hours, so I guess it must be pretty good!
on 10 June 2013
Very nicely put together collection. Little bit smaller in format than most graphic novel/tpb collections but feels just right. Stories adapted with respect for the source material but also a nice understanding of the differences between prose and comics and how ro make them work in the latter. Lastly, there's a nice variety of contributors, esp. in the art department - with some interesting styles for the different pieces in the anthology.
on 21 January 2013
I saw the exact same anthology but with a different cover for around £40, and the only difference i can tell is that this may be a US edition.
Either way, I'd never read Lovecraft before, but had a slight knowledge of the mythos and I thought I'd give it a go, I was not disappointed!
The Graphic Novel is fairly long, and has about 7 or 8 different short stories in it. They're illustrated by different artists, and the artwork is fantastic overall!
I was a little apprehensive because I thought it might be a difficult read due to the dated language Lovecraft uses, but because if the nature of the artwork and storytelling, even if you don't understand a word of a phrase it's still simple to follow what's happening.
Very good purchase, I will be getting the second anthology
on 13 February 2013
Really like the artwork in this book, really brings the stories to life. I liked the variety of having different artists rather than one person doing the whole book.

I'd definitely recommend this for Lovecraft fans, but if you haven't read any of his stories already you may not get as much out of it.
on 10 March 2014
A great read for Lovecraft fans familiar with the stories. The cartoon grotesque of the artwork is particularly good. The Colour out of Space being a standout. 1 star less as I don't feel some of the dialogue in Shadow over Innsmouth worked well in graphic novel format for an otherwise excellent story.
on 31 August 2011
Having never encountered Lovecraft in graphic novel form, I approached this volume with some trepidation, having been persuaded to purchase by the glowing reviews above. This collection is, simply, superb. The tales selected are Lovecraft's most famous tales, but are presented with such verve that they are rendered fresh to even those most familiar with the works.
The artwork of all involved perfectly captures the mood of Lovecraft's writing and even suggest some new takes on the tales.
Recommended without hesitation.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2011
I had read a review of this book in a magazine, and as a fan of HP Lovecraft, i took that excellent review and ordered my copy from Amazon.
My initial impression wasn't great. I quickly opened the book and thought the artwork wasn't as good as i thought it could have been. However, when i sat down and actually read it, i could see where the artists were coming from in their interpretation and their style. And then, there is the writing; the short stories of HP Lovecraft are very short in this book. This sounds like i am criticising both artwork and writing/editting, but in fact nothing could be further from the truth. When these two elements combine in the book, you get a really gripping, clever, artistic realisation of Lovecraft's work. And i absolutely loved the collection. I read it in one sitting!!
Praise indeed! However, there is one flaw in my opinion. And that is the fact that this volume misses Lovecrafts best known work out all together - At the Mountains of Madness is nowhere to be seen! This is his most famous work, and it is missing! Hopefully, there will be a volume 2, and it will be included in that volume.
Other than this, i would have given this book 5 stars without a second thought.
The stories this volume contains are; Call of Cthulu, Haunter of the Dark, Dunwich Horror, Colour out of Space, Shadow over Innsmouth, Rats in the Walls and Dagon.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has read Lovecrafts other books, and would suggest that newcomers to his work should read those first before reading this book. Had i come to this graphic novel first, i may not have appreciated everything it was attempting.

For every Lovecraft fan, this is an essential purchase though - roll on volume 2!
6 people found this helpful
|55 Comments|Report abuse
on 21 November 2012
Beautifully Illustrated, and a great rendition throughout. The artwork is second to none, the only consideration is the format, would have been better in a larger print, and/or in hardback.

TENTACLES!!!
on 28 December 2014
This is a great book for those who love comic books and who enjoy seeing work from a range of graphic animators. However I sent them back since in my opinion Lovecraft stories have to be read in their full glory, the whole story word for word. Otherwise the quality withers. Great for people who may not like reading very much though - which I am like that! - but I would miss out too much if I didn't read the book and copped out with a graphic novel. That's in terms of content. In terms of quality, the images are fantastic and quality of books are great.
on 2 June 2013
I got this as it was a good sale price (less than £2) and I wanted to try out the colour book-viewing facility provided that my recently acquired Kindle Fire HD, as distinct from the ordinary b/w Kindle I've had for quite a while. It's certainly well worth what I paid for it, but at the regular price of over £8 I wouldn't bother. I suppose it would be good for young kids, people for whom reading is a bit of a struggle, or those who haven't time to read the full stories and are happy with a vague visual representation of the gist - but to fans or potential fans of Lovecraft who are not in any of those categories, I'd say, you can get the full text free of charge and you'd be better off doing so.