on 26 November 2013
Girls is a great TV show.

I realise that I am probably the exact viewer that this show is designed to target (early 20s, female), but my fondness for this show surpasses how 'relatable' it is.

The characters are all great - deeply flawed, yes, but never boring. And despite the fact that they do fall into certain modern "tropes" (Jessa the "bad girl", Shoshanna the virgin etc.), they are nothing like the cardboard cut-outs that Sex and the City gave us.

This show is far more similar to something like 'Breaking Bad' than SATC; you love the characters despite knowing their damage.

It's just as much fun seeing them get into trouble - whether it's in their personal or professional lives - as it is to watch them sort themselves out.

Season 1 is very much a black comedy, whereas Season 2 can be surprisingly dark in places, especially later episodes such as 'On All Fours'.

There's also a strong overtone of the characters being part of a 'lost generation' - part of what gives the show its personality. As Hannah says in the pilot "I may be the voice of my generation. Or... a generation."
on 2 April 2014
I started watching this on a long plane and bus trip with a bad cold. Hours later, I had forgotten the cold and was so hooked I was literally still watching it without bothering to unpack my suitcase. I loved the extremely generous amount of extras on the double DVD box set of Series One and Series Two, purely because I was so utterly addicted I felt bereft when I got to the end of all the episodes. The inside looks at each episode and voice commentaries are a real comfort once the series is over. Now, this is what is different about Girls...At no point did any of the cast seem to be acting. Essentially, it's a series about real love and sex, as enjoyed (and sometimes not enjoyed) by real people. Everything that happens in it will have happened to you or one of your friends. There's a 'Yes, I know that' feeling about so many scenes. You will punch the air and yell, when one particularly awful male character is dumped. And you will be stunned and moved by the subway scene where another character realises she is in love for the first time in her life. Most of all you will be amazed by the way Lena Dunham directs herself in every sex scene looking seriously overweight and not giving a damn. I had to think hard about this, and all the US DVD box sets I have ever owned in the past, including Seinfeld, but I really do think Girls is the greatest American TV series ever made. Lena Dunham and her colleagues have created something that people will still watch in 100 years from now, just to see what we were really, really like.
Genius. Witty, raw, dangerous, dirty, fresh, shocking, layered, truthful, alive, poignant - and very, very brave of the actor, writer and star - 24 year old Lena Dunham. This is the fourth wave for feminism. First Wolstonecroft, then Pankhurst, then Greer, and now - Lena Dunham.

Not like anything else you have every seen before. Brilliant and to be relished.
on 27 April 2014
Makes for interesting (sometimes excruciating) viewing. Recommended by a friend to help us better understand and appreciate our averagely dysfunctional 20something kids, there were many darkly humorous moments. Made us glad to be 50somethings!
on 26 February 2018
Pretentious rubbish.
on 21 January 2014
After hearing great things about Girls, we decided to buy Season 1 and 2 and haven't been disappointed. It is very funny and also real and poignant and one of the freshest and interesting box sets I've watched for a while.
on 7 February 2014
From the brilliant series (of which series three is now on) my daughter loves this box set which I got her for her birthday, I don't watch it myself but the episodes I have caught I've enjoyed :) fast delivery and nice box set.
on 30 March 2014
While an entertaining insight to the world of late early twenty-somethings, I have found the unreliable narrator's plot lines and insights somewhat self-satisfying and a little too neatly packaged to predefined categories to be truly believable. Yet, I would recommend this series as it is not quite as shallow as many others.
on 21 May 2014
A beautiful illustration of how self- absorbed some people can be. No awareness of any other factors in the world but for those that impact on their daily lives, no thoughtfulness or caring. Intriguing.
on 4 April 2016
good value arrived on time