on 17 October 2013
Bah ... We (sorry the kids) have waited ages for this boxset so we can see season 5 .... Its the only 2 discs that dont play .... Going to have to wait again for the replacement .. Lets see how quick amazon can turn this around??
1010 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 December 2013
As a Star Wars fan, I approached the Clone Wars animated series with some trepidation. My 12 year old son converted me just as I converted him to the films. The Clone Wars take place between Episodes 2 and 3, and Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi are the heroes. This is the heroic part of Anakin's life, and it is as rousing and brave as you could imagine.

The animation borders on the remarkable (it improves from series to series), the writing is at least as good as any of the films (and better in some cases), the acting is also good, and the saga told (so far) is compelling. My son loves the fights - there are loads of these - but there is much more to the Clone Wars than fight scenes. There is an entire episode based on Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. There are connected episodes, trilogies, quartets, even quintets within the series. Some feature the main players, some R2-D2, and introduce new heroes (like Asokah Tano, Anakin's ill-fated Padawan learner) and villains (Asajj Ventris, Pre Vizla, Savage Opress) as well as a revived Darth Maul and Chancellor Palpatine (still not revealed as evil!).

Each disc has 22 stories (22 minutes long) until Series 5 (20 spisodes). That's 108, if you're counting. That's about 50p an episode for a total of 2,376 minutes of action (and credits).

If you like Star Wars, you'll love Clone Wars. And get it on Blu-ray - it is eye poppingly brilliant. Thanks George. Wonderful.
88 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 November 2013
Nothing to be less than happy about. Region-free blu-rays that look fantastic. Delivered quickly and for a great deal. I watched season 4 and 5 on TV, but am excited to watch it all from the beginning and so far it looks beautiful, even though I know it only gets better as the series goes on.
77 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 January 2014
It wasn't that I did not like the particular product, It was the fact the product did not work in the United States. For future purchases, I now know that DVD's from the UK will not work in the United States. I am more disappointed I was not informed of this before the product was sent, seeing that the product was going to the United States. It is exactly what I needed and wanted, it just does not work. I also did not realize how much it would cost to send it back. I hope amazon follows through paying for the postage to send this product back. Several lessons learned for a first time international buyer.
44 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 June 2016
This is the complete collection of Seasons 1 to 5 of "Star Wars: Clone Wars" on Blu-ray. It consists of five seasons box sets, housed in an attractive (although somewhat flimsy) slipcase. In total there are 15 discs, offering 108 episodes. This show ran from 2008 to 2013, and here it's presented in hull HD - with amazing audio and picture quality.

The series tells the story of what happened between the live-action Star Wars films "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" - as the Republic battles against the Separatists. This is a CGI animated series, intended for both children and adults. Many of the central characters from the films appear in the show - such as Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda. And there are several new characters - such as Ahsoka Tano and Cad Bane. The animation works brilliantly, and the voice-acting is excellent.

Throughout, the adventure focuses on action - on battles and conflicts between the opposing sides. The key antagonists are Grievous, Dooku, bounty hunters and mercenaries, Darth Maul, the Nightsisters, and Asajj Ventress. For the most part, the story concerns Anakin and his apprentice Ahsoko engaged in missions to defend both the Jedi Order and the Republic. Many episodes are one-shot missions, although taking place in the grander story-arc presented throughout each season.

This set does not contain the 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' film - which was released in 2008, and serves to introduce the Clone Wars saga. Moreover, it omits 13 episodes - which were, for various reasons, not incorporated into the five main seasons. These 'Lost Missions' have been released separately. It would have been nice to be able to get everything in a single box set ...

This show was very popular - and, upon it coming to an end, a follow-up series has been made: "Rebels". In this sequel show, we get to see what happens between "Revenge of the Sith" and "A New Hope".

The 'Clone Wars' show is highly entertaining - and a lot of fun. I found that the first season tended to move rather slowly, focussing on introducing the characters. Seasons 2 to 5 were faster paced, with far more intense action. It was great to see how the Galactic Republic crumbles, and how the plans of the Sith come to fruition. If you're a Star Wars fan, I thoroughly recommend this collection.
review imagereview image
on 3 December 2014
Wow where do I start?

I used to watch The Clone Wars series on and off until a few years ago. Infact the 3 series was the only one I watched start to finish when it was originally on. However I've not watched the show since. It was mostly due to being both busy with college and time slot and channel shifts.

However recently my interest in the series was renewed due to a friend loaning me his box set of the 3rd series. I forgot how much I liked the show and wanted to continue watching. Especially since the 3rd series leaves a number of plot threads dangling. Most notably the Savage Oppress arc. (probably the best arc next to the Mortis arc).

I was.unable to locate dvds of the series in my area and I was dying to find out what happens next so I thought I'd give Amazon a shot. Low and behold the site delived. I was hoping to pick up the 4th series but I found the box set for the entire 5 series run for about 50 euros and though that was a steal. I had to have it.

Now I've got to compliment Amazon on delivery, they sent it out a day earlier than I expected. It's always nice to be surprised and I appreciated the timely arrival. Especially as I couldn't wait to watch the series. (I'm a massive spoiler phobe)

In.the month I've had it I've binge watched the entire 100 or so episodes about twice. I've been absolutely enamoured with this series. It has a slow start (infact I didn't even really like the original Clone award movie much) but the first two series are full of gems. But the series seriously seriously starts finding it's feet with the 3rd series and never losses steam :) there are so many great arcs or individual episodes, the story telling on this series is absolutely incredible.

On top of all the episodes every series features numerous behind the scenes featurettes offering bit sized companion pieces expanding of the cast and crews thoughts and efforts on working on this show. There's a lot of passion and talent involved and it's all on display here.

I'm dying for more, unfortunately the final series, the mini series "The Lost Missions" has yet to receive a European release so I'll be waiting a while yet on that.

I wholeheartedly recommend this box set in terms of both value and content. If you're a Star Wars fan and are dying for fantastic stories from a galaxy far, far away. I can guarantee you'll love this :)
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 October 2013
This is a fantastic series. I'm giving it 5 stars because the show is outstanding, BUT don't buy
this mistaking it for the collectors edition which includes the Art of the Clone Wars booket. I love the Clone Wars and pre-ordered this box set as soon as it was available. I thought I was ordering the collectors edition box set which includes an Art of the Clone Wars booklet as this was the version promoted on various fan websites and StarWars.com. This version however is simply seasons 1-5 packaged together, not worth the extra cash if you already own seasons 1-4 and with new 'bonus content' set to be released in 2014, it s probably better to hold back and wait for a true 'complete' box set.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 October 2013
The discs for Season 5 are faulty. In some players they won't play and in the ones they do play in, reveal that the set has numerous audio sync issues. If you want to test it for yourself, the episode "The Lawless" is the worst offender. This is present on all discs.

No issues with Amazon though as they have organised a return for me. Hopefully Warner will offer a disc replacement program for this.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 November 2015
The review that follows contains the thoughts of my 7 year old daughter. It's always good to offer a perspective from kids, for other parents who may be considering this for their own children. And in particular, it's good to remember that Star Wars is not just for boys!
[What do you want to say about Clone Wars?]
"I really like the adventures they go on. And my favourite character is Ahsoka. In season 1 you'll start to learn lots about their first adventures in The Clone Wars. You'll also find in season 4 that a villain we thought was dead comes back to life. And in season 5 there have been lots of episodes about Ahsoka."

[I asked her about what she thought of the way it looks, sounds, etc.]
"The art is very creative. And the sound just makes you a bit...nervous...happy...sad...and also a bit scared."
[I asked her to explain how it makes her a bit scared, as this should be understood for parents.]
"Well, the scary parts are mostly the battles that the Jedi have with the Separatists. It makes you a bit nervous about who's going to win. If the Jedi are going to win...if the Separatists are going to win..."
[Is it a good kind of scared or a bad kind of scared?]
"It's a good kind of scared."

[Anything else you want to say?]
"The best heroes are Ahsoka, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin, Mace Windu, Rex, Cody, Echo..."
[Who are the best villains?]
"General Grievous, Asage Ventress, The Night Sisters and Count Dooku."

[Would you recommend this show to your friends?]
"YES! Definitely."

As the paying adult, I'll add a few notes:
As of this review, we are approximately midway through season 5...so we have not finished every single episode prior to review. I *have* seen some info online suggesting that some folks have had trouble with audio synchronization on disc 2 of season 5 ... time will tell. But it sounds like these errors were corrected easily with replacement discs directly from the publisher.

The visual presentation regularly impresses me. If you've not seen the show, the animation really shines, particularly in any battle scenes. Sound, too, is top-notch...and this is only through the built-in speakers of our telly. No doubt it sounds amazing with a decent sound system.

Whilst there are episodes of Clone Wars that are clearly weaker than others, there are some story arcs which truly shine, and even some which achieved an emotional reaction from me as an adult. This is something even the films struggle to do at times. This is where Clone Wars really sets itself apart. The characters are very strongly developed. Anakin himself is a joy to watch onscreen, unlike his big-screen counterpart!

Ahsoka Tano is easily the best thing to come out of Clone Wars. I am biased, of course, as I do have a daughter. But she is objectively a strong female lead, and never crosses the line into irritation. She belongs up-front, and is a believable leader. It takes no stretch of the imagination to see troops taking orders from her, particularly in the later seasons.

I would recommend this to anyone with a kid who is into Star Wars, particularly daughters who might be looking for a strong, female hero with whom they could try to identify. I would also recommend this to any other Star Wars fan, be they a youngling or a Jedi Master, who found that the prequels, whilst having value, lacked the polish of the original characters.

This series has made me like Anakin again. It has made me hope that we get a stand-alone Obi-Wan film. And it has made me really appreciate strong female leads.

Finally, this is great value for money, especially considering the comparatively idiotic price being asked for Season 6 by itself.
on 24 September 2016
I've seen a few episodes of season 1 and 2 other seasons which include whichever season includes Darth Maul, but, I'm not impressed. Usually you need to watch more than one episode to get into a new series, and because it's star wars I decided to try it. Man I really tried.

I've noticed a few things which weren't accurate. 1 is, Anakin is called a Master, but in Revenge of the Sith he's still not yet a master from what I recall.

The characters are very wooden, with unnatural gesturing, the animation is quite basic and the HD resolution only emphasis how not so good it really is.

There is forced procrastinating. For example, In one episode involving Padme, she goes to kiss Anakin after he saves her, then it switches to Obi-Wan doing something for at least 7 seconds and then it switches back to Padme and Ani who are STILL going in for the kiss, and they are STILL a few inches apart. Come on man, it's not exactly your first time meeting her.

I also noticed how often characters would state the obvious, as if they were forcing what was happening down my throat even though I could clearly see what was going on for myself.

I have seen some later episodes from other seasons, which were mostly the same quality as the beginning episodes. Darth Maul comes back from the dead (I don't know how that is possible since he was sliced in half in episode one the phantom menace) and he cares only about getting revenge. So basically another character who needs to get a life. The writers aren't very creative there are they, Then again, I guess they have to do some things to keep the fan boys happy other than space battles and lightsaber duels.

Maybe I need to keep watching to see if the wooden animated acting, plot points and overall series does improve, sadly it won't be anytime soon.

I might try some more of Star Wars Rebels because so far that hasn't been bad. The sad thing is, if the Clone Wars series had come out when I was still a kid or in my early teens over 15 years ago, I would have been crazy about it. Now I've seen a decent amount of episodes from at least 3 different seasons so I have given it a chance, the best I can say about it is ''Meh.'' Still, that being said, the episodes I have watched were an okay time to relax in front of, I'm just not eager to watch a load more.