on 14 May 2014
A competent well built unit. Came preinstalled with windows 8, so you have to load the 8.1 upgrade from the store. Check the screen resolution as is not a 1080 display but that can be a benefit on a 14" screen. for serious gaming it would have benefitted from a graphics CPU, but this wont be a factor in normal use.
on 3 November 2013
This is my first laptop and I am loving it. I am getting used to it as it is far more modern than my old desktop is. There is one small problem though, If this was bought by somebody who are new to computers, I think a book of instructions would be very helpful. Apart from that I am enjoying having a laptop.
on 7 November 2013
I bought this after reading good reviews on it. Have not regretted my decision. It's of great build quality as this other Asus products I've used. The only downside is that it come with Windows 8 installed an operating system that takes some getting used too.
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2015
This laptop is perfectly good for the task. It's an i5, pretty good speed, I upgraded to Windows 10 pretty much on starting it and put on MS Office 2016, and it's doing a great job.
I generally find refurbished laptops are every bit as good as new.
on 14 October 2015
Fantastic laptop, had the i7 for 2 years now and it's a thing of beauty. I've used it for work so had it on for hours on end.
Stills works great now and the battery is still going strong. Best laptop I've ever owned. Much better than my old mac.
on 23 November 2015
Using the i3 core processor I found this laptop INCAPABLE of running windows 10 to an adequate standard, running LINUX mint however everything is fine.

1 star with windows
4+ stars with Linux

Result 3 star review.
on 20 May 2014
Purchased 9 months ago from Amazon. Switched it on and no HDD light. Dead. Returning for refund.

While it was working the laptop was quite good for the money.

BUT: The glossy screen is stupid, the touch facility is stupid and windows 8 is stupid.

ASUS make excellent laptops with matt screens. Matt should be the norm.

You don't need a touch screen and what was so wrong with windows 7 that they had to do a 'Vista' on it with 8.

I think I will get an HP laptop with windows 7.

HP have responded to customer complaints about 8 by supplying new machines with 7.

I hope you have better luck with your S400CA.
on 10 April 2013
My four year old laptop running on XP was incredibly slow and the screen had started to give up so it was time to buy a new one. I wanted a unit to consolidate all my media on. I decided to opt for Windows 8 with a touchscreen and the Asus does all this very nicely. It starts in seconds (albeit some apps take a bit longer to load). The screen is crystal clear (I have not tried it outside in the sunlight as that is not my primary use for it). The I7 processor is a dream (after being used to twiddling my thumbs waiting for Windows 7 and XP to load on my other machines).
on 28 February 2014
I asked my boffin friend to recommend a good value laptop. This was his choice and it's fabulous. Windows 8.1 is great and it works really well. Check the price though. It goes up and down from day to day.
on 2 November 2014
This is a truely great piece of kit. Very fast, reliable and solidly made. The touch screen is very responsive, the resolution is good and colours great. We are very happy with the purchase.