Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.29

on 13 February 2014
Beautifully written, with characters that you will immediately be drawn to. The story is well paced and exciting. You can easily imagine yourself on the rooftops with the children.
on 31 May 2014
Roof toppers is an amazing book with lots of great adventure in it. There should be another one as it ended it on such a big cliff hanger. What happens next? All in all i think that it was a great book but it was a bit too hard to read with all of the French in it.
on 16 July 2015
A beguiling idea, written with great warmth. The writer's style is deft, graceful and funny. The central relationship, between foundling Sophie and her guardian Charles, is three-dimensional, quirky and likable. The rooftop descriptions leave no doubt about their authenticity. Don't read it if you're scared of heights.

I felt the story lost some momentum at the end, though. It seemed to be building to something bigger that didn't materialise; either that or it didn't need quite so many loops. At times I felt we were being artificially kept away from the story's climax. But mostly, an enjoyable and touching read.
on 25 February 2015
As an adult, I still really enjoyed this book. It uses great vocabulary and really paints a good picture of the scenary and surroundings. It depicts a fantastical life upon the roof tops. I have only given it 4 stars because I feel the ending lacked a little oomph.
on 25 April 2015
Sophie is a 12 year old girl who was found, as a baby, in a cello case during a shipwreck. She was found by a kind man, called Charles, who took her in and cared for her in London. All she had left of her mother is her cello case but that never stopped Sophie from giving up on the dream that her mother was still alive and out there. A clue leads to her and Charles going to Paris in the hope to find her mother. Whilst Sophie is there she meets a mysterious french boy called Matteo who teaches her the way of his life (on the rooves of Paris)whilst searching for Sophie 's mother. This book has the main message "never give up on dreams no matter what other people say". Altogether a very good thought provoking book however I would like the ending to be more detailed as it left me wanting more.
on 28 March 2014
Amazing book great adventure and mystery. Downloaded after winning blue peter book awards and definitely wasn't disappointed. would recommend to any ages kids and adults. Good price possibly my favourite book!
on 25 May 2016
I enjoyed reading this as much as the children enjoyed hearing it. There was a real temptation to read ahead when they'd gone to bed, the story was gripping, full of positive messages and beautifully descriptive. Now the book is finished, both children want to start back at the beginning. I'd recommend for boys and girls, as a bedtime story, or for 9-10+ year olds to read on their own.
on 17 December 2014
This book is amazing! I found it by looking in a free newspaper give out, it recommended books for many styles and ages. I read the blurb and I wanted to read it straight away! I could not stop reading!
on 10 May 2014
I loved this book. I loved the story, the characters, the quirky style, the way Katherine Rundell uses words and music and the images she puts into the reader's head. I really loved Sophie and I adored Charles. The writing draws the reader in from the floating cello case at the beginning and makes the book un-put-down-able from there on. It is funny, exciting, gripping, charming, odd, happy and a tiny bit sad (but not in a Morpurgo way). If there had to be a criticism it would be this - Sophie's rooftop adventures left Charles abandoned for an improbably long time and I worried about him worrying about Sophie. But then it's an improbable book and these things don't matter. I suspect the judges won't choose this for the Carnegie Medal because it's not gritty and disturbing and depressing. That's exactly why it gets my vote. Thank you Katherine Rundell! Off now to buy a copy for my daughter.
on 1 March 2016
Structurally, the book felt a little unbalanced, some bits were overly long – but somehow this added to its sense of originality and poetry. I loved the metaphors, their fantastic illumination of Sophie’s inner life. And the ending leaves you in a perfect spin.