on 30 December 2013
So bright it's almost like having a laser shone straight into your eye. So bright that I was worried about dazzling drivers to the point where they might crash into me. Until...

I realised that the on/off button is not just easily switched, it will go on the second you put it in your pocket, or bag, or hand, or -- and I am only exaggerating slightly here -- expose it to a slight breeze. I quickly realised it was going on the second I put it in my coat pocket when I got to work, and staying on all day. That explained why I only got a few days life from the batteries! Overly light buttons on back lights is a weirdly common phenomenon. Inexplicably, since it rarely affects front lights. But this one is by far the lightest touch button I have ever come across. And judging by the reviews I'm not the only one to notice it.

So, I started keeping the thing in an old plastic pot when it was in my bag, to stop anything turning it on by accident. That worked and it lasted longer... A fortnight!

It seems there is a reason it burns brighter than Hades with only 2 AAAs in it -- it is going through the power in them at a phenomenal rate. And we're talking Duracell's finest here, not el-cheapo no-brand batteries.

So, a really great light -- for two weeks. Otherwise, it's worth spending the extra money to get those brand-name lights instead. (NOW I know why they are so much more expensive...)
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2013
Here's a review on the MetroFlash Danger Zone tail light. I'm really impressed with this light and hopefully the video will give a very good idea of the brightness and well-designed mechanics of this light.
1313 comments| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2013
I actually bought 2 of these lights, one for the bicycle seatpost and the other mounted to my helmet.

1. They came well packed, easy to open and with the batteries included.
2. The quality of the units is very good - well molded plastic, no sharp edges, very strong but not too difficult to open and put batteries inside. The bicycle mount is also sturdy, stiff and does not wiggle around. It is easy to take the light off the mount. At the same time the light looks pretty normal and I am hoping nobody will steal it. Will take the bet and leave it on the bike (maybe will fix it to the bike with more lovely cable ties.) Cable ties are not necessary to fix the light to the bike.

3. Very bright - can a rear light be too bright? I have two of these so am wondering if I am not blinding anybody, hope not. After all, it is most likely not brighter than a car's rear lights.

4. Indeed, the light switch is very soft. Should be clicky / microswitch based or stiffer. For me that is ok but I can imagine it becoming a problem. The location of the switch, however, makes it very easy to put the light on the helmet - using cable ties, of course.
on 19 September 2014
Great until it rained !

In my view there is a fundamental issue with the sealing rubber which allowed water to creep in. Once the water was in, the light stopped working. Dried the light out and it was fine again. However it turned out that the light continued to draw current from the batteries even when turned off. This resulted in a brand new set of batteries lasting 2 days without the light even being turned on ! ....and yes I repeated the experiment with the same result.

AVOID if you think you will use this light in the rain.
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am old enough to remember the single bulb square lights that I used on my Grifter in the 1970's powered by large Ever Ready lantern batteries, which in themselves weigh a ton. For all this weight they barely illuminated the bike at night. Toady bike lights have moved away from bulbs to LED's and small casings but not all LED lights are the same in terms of functions and brightness. This small but amazing light is powered by two AAA batteries, which are included. The battery casing is easily accessible. It also comes with attachable clips, which allows the light to be fixed at a variety of angles upon the frame. The light itself is made up of two Super Bright LED lights and it has a variety of settings, allowing for Constant on, Flashing or Chasing. The unit itself is small and weighs virtually nothing. The design is very good and it is waterproof. It is extremely easy to use and attach to the frame. The light it emits is very bright and will be easily seen at night. The only minor issue with this product, is that the "on" button is easily slid and can be turned on too easy, if being packed away. In short this is a super product that I highly recommend.

Highly recommended.
Like many other reviewers I was approached to write a review in exchange for a free LED light. I was sceptical at first, however they sent the light and it arrived the next day so maybe there is such a thing as a free gift.

Easy to install (2 minutes with a screwdriver) and with a nice amount of spare rubber so you can fit it to 99% of seat posts. It simply clamps on to the seat post and you adjust the angle before tightening it up. It hasn't worked loose on me yet, which is usually what happens to these clamps - not so on the metroflash.

It is super bright - so bright you can use it in daylight which is what I do because you can't have too much visibility when on the roads. You really need to make sure it's adjusted right because you will blind drivers at night from behind otherwise. There are two LED lenses - one gives all round side to side visibility (over 180 degrees), and one is more focused directly from behind. In this respect it's already a lot better than other lights on the market.

It seems robust and weatherproof although the mounting bracket swivels 360 degrees (not the clamp but the bit the led light attaches to) and feels a little on the cheap side. Maybe I got a duff one.

The only reason it loses a star is because of the cheaper clamp and the fact that the on/off button is so easy to press. Not normally an issue but it turns itself on in my bag once I've removed it from the bike. Flat battery = no visibility. So make sure you carry spare AAA batteries. I'd prefer a rubber switch with a harder mechanical press to turn it on - like the Smart LED lights.

If the on/off button isn't an issue for you - then this is a full 5 stars!
on 28 February 2015
If it still worked I would give it 5 stars as it was a very bright light!!!. However, after a few uses water has got into it and no longer works. Hardly used due to the winter, purchased it in November ... now cannot return it.
on 13 November 2013
Yes, it's bright. Yes, it fits securely to the bike. But I have now tried two sets of brand new batteries in this light and never got more than 4 hours using the flashing mode. That's 20% of the advertised runtime. I'm not planning on renewing the batteries EVERY week, so this is being ditched for a rechargeable light. It doesn't perform as advertised. Amazon would do well to remove it for false advertising.
on 10 November 2014
Whilst this light is really good at being bright, the battery life is awful. I mean, really bad. I've tried different batteries, I use Sanyo eneloop ones in most things and even these suffer the same problem. Every time I go back to use these lights the battery is always dead. Annoying
I've been cycling for 35 years now and used many types of bike light. I've been using the led type for years as they are definitely better than the old bulb type (yep i remenber them!).
At only 7cm x 3cm in size this dual led back light packs a lot of power indeed. The two 0.5 watt lights are slightly different. One bulb is powerful and direct as it sits in a concave mirror and the other is diffused so it can be clearly seen from a much wider angle sideways, making you the cyclist highly visible. Two AAA batteries are supplied which are very easy to fit. The light body just clicks open using a coin. A good silicone seal ensures a good level of splash/water resistance, protecting the battery/electronics compartment. The light just fits to your seatpost/bike in the standard way using just one crosshead screw.Two rubber strips are provided to ensure a tight fit to any size frame. It's all very easy taking only 5 minutes. The lights have three functions which are permanently on, flashing together and chasing. All easily changed with the press of a large silicone button. The light can also be attached to a rucksack or bag easily.

Cycling into work a few of the lads commented on how powerful this light is from several hundred yards away. Good stuff.

In my opinion as a cyclist these are a great set of lights, powerful and effective that can only make your journey safe as can be. Highly recommend.

These lights were supplied for me to test out and review.