Customer reviews

BRIO World - Big Green Action Locomotive
Style: Big Green Locomotive|Change

on 4 November 2013
I ordered the red and green one, for my 2 & 4 yr old boys for Christmas. I couldn't wait to see them in action so I unpacked one for a test run. Its brilliant fun, moves at a steady pace, can take 4 carriages up hills no problem, possibly more, but only tried 4. Tried tight bends and wider bends and found no problem on either. It reverses fine on straight track, but didn't manage it around bends or up hills. Control buttons are easy to use, one for forwards, one for reverse and one for stop. You can switch it off and use it as a normal push along train. I got rechargable AAA batteries for them. I was surprised at how big the train itself was, didn't think it'd even fit on the track at first, but it does. Its quite noisy, although a review said it was quieter than other ones, I wouldn't like to have heard them. All in all brilliant trains and I can't wait for them to see them.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 22 January 2017
We bought the red train model for a few months, and have now bought this green one for our younger son. It feels a very well made toy. It's not particularly fast, but it assuredly pulls a trainload of carriages around the Brio track and over bridges. It occasionally stops if the track pieces are horizontally misaligned (as sometimes happens if you are using track from different manufacturers, for instance) or the bend is too tight, but a quick push soon gets it going again.

The accompanying sounds can't be turned off, but they are not overly loud or annoying, and only play for a few seconds when the train starts its journey. The two forward lights, and the red reversing light, are nice touches. I also like the switch that coverts the train into a free-wheeler, for pushalong play.

You will need a small phillips screwdriver to change the batteries, by removing the front of the boiler via a screw in the chimney stack. It's a little fiddly, but not overly complex.
on 9 November 2014
Bought this after a disappointing experience with a cheaper BigJigs engine which basically wasn't fit for purpose. Very pleased with it, and more importantly so is our 2 year old. Nice big controls for little hands, solidly built, and the sound effects and lights are a bonus.

Minor downsides: it doesn't go backwards very well - tends to derail. And it eats batteries, or perhaps it's the cheap batteries we use. Now that we seem to have a few battery-operated toys I think I'll invest in a charger and a set of decent rechargeable AAAs. Some people have commented that it tends to derail/get stuck on tight corners because of its size - I've noticed this a bit on *really* tight corners but not much.

It also comes in red; we got the green one for no particular reason other than we liked the look of it. I'm sure either would be fine.
on 3 March 2017
I bought a green one and a red one for my grandson who loves the trains. They replace an old Brio train, Oh, maybe five years old, that has run and run and fallen of of table tops and so on and finally started to break up. Not the cheapest toy trains but good quality and well made to last.Note you do need a small cross head screw driver to remove the smoke box via a screw in the chimney to insert the batteries. Its easy enough to do.BRIO Big Green Action Locomotive
on 1 May 2016
Firstly, this is a good train, well built and it looks the part.
Now, I’m not saying it eats batteries; it uses them for tooth picks after it drains all the power from your house! Honestly, this train should really come with a mains adaptor or a little power station train to follow it round that you keep stocked with little coal pieces or some mini nuclear rods.
At first you think WoW! This little train is quick, and then you start to add a few carriages to it (my son like to put all his carriages on). Once you have all this and you introduce a bridge, you’ll no longer be telling your child “ten more minutes” you’ll be saying “ten more batteries”. To be fair even when the batteries get low, it will still pull about ten carriages over the bridge, just slowly.
My advice, get some rechargeable batteries to go with it.
on 11 March 2015
sturdy little engine, on Bigjigs and similar track, can pull several carriages and manage a bridge. The more it pulls the quicker batteries are depleted but that is a good excuse to have a second train, one to push, just like real life. Does struggle with very tight turns as it is slightly longer and more powerful in order to do what it does, and the dropped magnet at the rear needs a bit of assistance if engine is put into reverse.
on 11 June 2017
Train its self is fine needs a large track else it comes off on tight corners. The real thing that lets it down is that for ~£20 I would expect there to be batteries included this is just the manufacturer being tight.
on 10 March 2015
I bought this for my 2 year old as I was tired of pushing his brio train round the track for him. It's quite good for the most part although there are two issues. 1) It struggles with tight corners and can fall off the track easily.

2) It eats batteries so I'd strongly recommend using rechargeables.

The sound effects are a bit strange too - one of them sounds like a cow!
on 6 November 2015
Originally had two of these in two colours one each for my 3 and 6 year old grandsons. They have spent many hours playing with them. Not always gently. So pleased I bought another so with supervision my 15th month old grandson could join in at his own level. Leaving the train switched off it is possible to freewheel. Batteries lasted well. Able to pull a few small wagons trains over bridges.
on 17 November 2016
Not played with yet but I have tested it on our ikea/wilkos/Lidl track set and it works brilliantly. Even fits under the red ikea tunnel. Seems strong and good quality. Battery compartment is a little fiddly to access. It does make noises but it's not too annoying.