on 25 February 2013
A long-awaited collection of beautiful songs of love and loss from the supremely talented Moody Blues frontman. At 66, he still has the voice of an angel and a seemingly inexhaustible fund of wonderful melodies - 'Lazy Afternoon' is particularly delightful. He's no slouch on the guitar either. As well as the new material there are interesting reworkings of some older songs and Anne Dudley's string arrangements are very fine indeed.
31 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2013
As one reviewer has said, can you believe this voice in a guy who is 66 years old? It's incredible. I haven't even come to the end of this wonderful CD yet I feel propelled towards my computer to post a review. This is an amazing CD, well worth the money. Am seeing The Moody Blues in concert on 5th June and hope he will play some of these songs. I just feel transported to a different world, filled with optimism and beauty! Hope he does another one soon. If you haven't seen it, watch his recent interview video on YouTube. It isn't fair for one man to have so much talent!
23 people found this helpful
on 6 March 2013
I have been enjoying the works of Justin since the days of 'In Search of the Lost Chord' back in the sixties. This is a classic. The brilliant second track 'One Day, Some Day' stopped me in my tracks with it's strings arrangment right from the first time I heard it. However much to my amazement, an even better arrangement of the same song, slightly longer with more prominent accoustics and percussion is featured later. This is easily one of my all time favourites. Us Moodies fans will know " I Know You're Out There Somewhere", An upbeat disco version appears at the end of this CD in an extended form - great fun. We walked down the aisle at our recent wedding to the original version. That was after signing the register to New Horizons" My much younger bride thinks it's brilliant. Some of the tracks in the middle take some getting into but there are fifteen in total. I went to see the Moodies for an eighteen birthday treat - I am going to see them later this year as a sixtieth bithday treat. Now that's what I call longivety (them not me) This is quality - I would definitely recommend it.
2 people found this helpful
on 5 August 2013
There's very little that Justin Hayward has produced over the past 46 years that I haven't liked....until now. The View From The Hill was his best solo album to date, though sadly only available on inferior formats like CD. So on playing this double album for the first time, my impressions were very favourable. Until I played Side 4 that is. The 2 versions of Out There Somwhere should really have been left out there somewhere else. The second one certainly doesn't belong here!

The final track in particular is, for me, awful! Now saying that about any of Justin's considerable output really is a first. Although it was someone else who destroyed the song (Paul Rincon). I think that had the best stuff been taken and a single album issued, the overall quality would have been much improved. Still some very worthwhile and typical JH songs make the album a must for his fans and for MB fans too. Overall, a thumbs up, but why oh why do these remixes in a style that just isn't JH.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 28 September 2016
Saw him recently in New Brighton. Played some of the great tracks from this. In an acoustic session the music on this album suits him better than the old Moodies stuff. It is a double album. Don't see the point of side 4 but the rest is either good or excellent.
on 14 August 2014
This is just what you would expect from Justin Hayward. Lovely songs and melodies. Nothing groundbreaking here and less embellishments than a Moody Blues record but exquisite none the less. A very positive feel to the lyrics and nice and dreamy. I'm not a country fan but Justins two or three songs on here are lovely. Those who want protest only music look away. Those who like to dream of the possibilities of love and life will enjoy it. I like both kinds but there is always a place in my heart for this and I hope there always will be. Lovely guitar work and that wondefull voice make this a warm treat. I even like the disco version of one of the songs though it comes towards the end which is good-it doesn't spoil the overall feel of the main album. I bought it as a birthday treat to myself and I'm very glad I did. The Blue Jays album with John Lodge, incidentally, is almost too good to be true.
on 2 March 2013
It's been too long since Justin Hayward's last album (or the Moody Blues', for that matter), but it has definitely been worth the wait. He is one of the few singers whose CDs I will unhesitatingly buy without hearing first, knowing that he will not let me down. And, sure enough, here we are given a fine selection, mainly made up of gorgeous love songs, but all beautifully crafted, and sung from the heart. If this is your kind of music, then I can heartily recommend this CD. You won't be disappointed.
6 people found this helpful
on 29 April 2013
This is, in the main, what we've come to expect from Justin Hayward (whether solo or with the Moody Blues), an immaculately crafted great listen, with a warmth and depth to the music you don't hear often enough.

I've been playing the single "In Your Blue Eyes" for a few weeks on my show on Big L Radio (loved it from the first play) and it's got positive listener response. So I was glad when I got the album, that it lived up to the promise of the single - until the last two tracks.

Have to say, these last two tracks stuck out like a sore thumb, from what is otherwise a superb album. They are two imho dreadful club remixes of re-recordings of the classic Moody Blues track "I Know You're out There Somewhere". Goodness know what all involved were thinking!

In all other respects though a very worthy addition to your album collection.
on 23 May 2013
Once again Justin Hayward's new album delivers his music at it's best with every track highlighting his unique delivery in his wonderful style. With country style songs added to his repertoire and a remix in addition. My only disappointment Is Rising which promises so much and lasts briefly. I think it was going to be a great track and then it was gone. A taster for the future perhaps I certainly hope so. Not too convinced with the remix either but in time it may grow on me. Nothing beats the original.
Looking forward to the 7th June and St.David's Hall in Cardiff. If you haven't bought this yet what are you waiting for.
on 7 May 2013
I have been a huge fan of the Moody Blues 'classic seven' for as long as I can remember, and was often disappointed by the MOR nature of Justin's subsequent solo releases (Bluejays excepted). Delighted then to hear this, his latest offering. Strong songwriting, good production values, remarkable vocals and his signature guitar work make for a really good album that could be his best, or at least, neck and neck with 'Songwriter'. The only low point for me being the song 'What you resists persists' which lyrically persists in irritating me. That aside, I am sure I will enjoy listening to this for a long time to come. The brave inclusion of the two 'Out There Somewhere' mixes adds a welcome touch of contemporary grit, much appreciated.