on 14 July 2016
Q: What does a book on ‘Selling’ have to do with teachers?!? A: A great deal apparently! Pink starts by pointing out two facts: a) the fastest growing fields today are Ed – Med (Education and Medicine – ok, we sort of knew that) and b) an incredible 40% of our time is spent in non-sales selling!! We sell clients on how great we are and we sell learners on English (or maths, history, etc.)! That involves a lot of presentation, communication and persuasion skills. Pink can help us with all three of them.
Pink has studied communication extensively and he has lots of interesting things to say on how to write catchy e-mail titles (p. 167), tweets (p. 170) and why using visuals is so important (p. 180). But he also gives us the results of a number of studies on such fascinating topics as...
...Labelling (p. 138): In a Prisoner’s Dilemma type of game, 33% of the participants cooperated when they were told it was called ‘The Wall-Street Game’ but the number doubled when others were told they would be playing ‘The Community Game’. The same effect was found when some students were labelled ‘tidy’ as opposed to a controlled group (Moral: Label you students positively and they will live up to the label!)
...Facilitation (p. 142): In another study, students who had been singled out for their pro-sociality by their peers, were asked to contribute to a food drive for charity. The same was done with others classified as ‘selfish’. The results: 8% of the former but 25% of the latter donated food! Why? The ‘selfish’ students had been given clearer instructions about what to donate and when! (Moral: motivation aside, direct behavioural instructions [‘Do this!’] can go a long way towards ensuring compliance).
...Persuasion Techniques: Here is one: instead of asking students whether they have studied for a test which might trigger ‘Psychological Reactance’ we could ask them ‘How ready are you for the test? Say on a scale from 1 to 10?’ When they answer, we can then follow up with the fantastic ‘Why not a lower number?!?’ This forces them to focus on the positive (what they have done) and shows them what they still need to work on! Excellent!! (p. 213)
What makes the book so readable is that Pink also gives readers many real life examples. Here is my favourite one: On page 213 of the book there is a picture which hangs on the wall of an Italian restaurant. The picture is that of the owner and it reads: ‘If you had anything less than a great experience at ‘il Canale’, please call my cell: 703-624-2111’!! Now think: how many DOSs would be prepared to do such a thing? :-)
review image
on 2 August 2014
The book is so boring at the beginning that I put it down repeatedly and stopped reading it altogether for a year! That is until I read "Drive" by the same author and loved it so much that I thought there must be something in here. Low and behold, deeper into book there are some real perls of wisdom.

Don't be discouraged if you find the start slow. It does get better.
on 29 May 2017
Bought this on the strength of Drive. Maybe I'm more grown-up now but I found the intro distinctly unpersuasive. You can watch him bend the research findings to add weight to his claims that they do not deserve. Then he claims that Palantir "simply requires each new hire to read two books, one is a nonfiction account of..." since he doesn't tell us what books, I googled it and found it to be untrue. Different employees get different books. So the author it's building on a foundation of myth. I expect it's a very good book for getting by in Pink's mythical world, but I would like to see more rigor from a book based on the real one.
And now I'm wondering what I have to un-learn from Drive.
on 20 August 2016
This is brilliant. Lot of American references I found hard to relate to.
Skim through and pick out the relevant paragraphs. For me it was all in the last 40 pages.
This applies to all, a mum who's trying to get kids to do house chores, an employee who's struggling with the boss, or a owner of a company whose staffs won't stick.
Perhaps Pink could have sold the book better! It isn't about selling- it's about getting your way, every time, by being appreciated by people, which is rather nice and good to realise there's a nice battle no one fights in.
on 21 February 2018
A really interesting book that looks at selling from a reasonably fresh perspective. There are some really challenging observations and it will make you think about selling in a different way. Definitely a worthwhile read.
on 12 February 2018
Meh. Sub-Gladwell, post-facto, pseudo-wisdom. I don't read a lot of these kinds of books but our VP Sales recommended it. Some of it was semi-interesting, but a lot of it was nice anecdotes shoehorned into a creaky premise.
on 7 April 2016
About halfway through the book, that's when I felt it kicked in and got really interesting. I do read during the night so I could have been tired and lacked concentration at the start. A good book for me is when I can put it down and implement what I've read, and that's exactly what I did.

I do wish I took more notes but alas, the notes I did take are good enough for me. I've learned something from this book which gets a thumbs up from me. Plus, the author is called Mr.Pink...that's his Halloween costume sorted....incase you didn't know it's a character from 'Reservoir Dogs'..
review image
on 17 November 2017
I will keep this short. Which the author could have done....

The author spends a third of the book justifying his proposition.

My reposte: i’m on board, just get on with it.

And therein lies the problem. He has little to say, of interest or, ultimately, insight.
on 2 April 2017
Really interesting book, easy to read. As anything you want to become excellent at, the theory is good but only practice makes you excellent. I will certainly need to read the book again but I can already apply some important principles of the book: i.e. thinking not so much about giving answers but asking the right questions.
on 3 March 2018
fab book! must read for anyone who would like to improve their skills in influencing others