on 24 October 2013
Elizabeth Haynes ratchets up the tension at high speed as she takes the reader through the evidence to find the killer in this innovative police procedural, the first in a thrilling new psychological crime series featuring DCI Louisa Smith.

A young girl has been brutally attacked and murdered on a farm. A few miles away the body of another woman is found in a quarry and it looks like suicide. Are the deaths connected?

Throughout the novel the reader is given the same evidence as Louisa's team. We are invited to analyse everything from the phone calls of suspects, to witness statements and mind-maps of who was where and at what time, to work out who was the killer and what the circumstances were leading up to each woman's death.

The sentences are short, sharp and capture the essence of each character involved in the case. The voices are so well defined you know exactly who you're in the presence of during each time check over the six days of the investigation.

The time check scenes are incredibly emotionally involving, as the plot twists increase due to the complex relationships between Louisa and her team, and those between the suspects. Reading this novel feels like diving into a sea of information that threatens to overwhelm you until to you rise to the surface for air. The witness statements, strategically placed between the scenes and written in calm measured tones, regularly give the reader an opportunity to step back, detach, breathe and review the evidence.

You'll need your wits about you to keep all the strands of the multiple suspects' stories straight. Under a Silent Moon is a thrill ride, a seduction, a novel that plays games with your memory and your ability to analyse, featuring one of the most chillingly lethal killers ever conceived. This is a novel that will leave you gasping for more by the end. I loved it.

With thanks to the publisher - Sphere - for the review copy.
on 12 July 2014
Once again, Elizabeth Haynes brings an unputdownable thriller that will leave you hungry for more.

The story is gripping, a brutal murder and a suspected suicide that might just be linked, but as with her previous books, its the characters that you'll fall in love with. Each and every one of them has a certain realism, and DI Louisa Smith is definitely a name that I want to hear in the future.

Elizabeth's latest thriller also brings in a new concept that i hadn't seen before. Scattered throughout the pages are Witness Statements, Telephone Logs and Timelines, so you yourself can try and piece together the clues along with the characters in the story. I found this interesting, and it was exciting to watch the events unfold.

If you crave a story that's dark, mysterious and thrilling from the first page, then pick up a copy of Under A Silent Moon, I trust you won't regret it.
OK, as a reader, when I find an author I like, I make a note of their name so when a new title comes out, they make it further up the TBR list to be tackled sooner rather than later. (After all why begin with starters when you can go straight for the chocolate cake. LOL)

So having read Elizabeth’s writing before I couldn’t wait to see what her latest investigation novel would bring, after all I liked the principle character, loved the way that she set the story up and then also brought to the table solid police investigative techniques. Expecting more of the same from this, her latest, I couldn’t wait to get started, however upon concluding, I found that it didn’t advance the character for me, she didn’t grow and overall felt a little bit flatter than the first. All round, it’s an OK book however without the growth I was hoping for it was just average.
on 26 April 2016
This is one.of the best books I have read in a long time. I hope to find a lot more by this author
on 13 February 2014
I have read all of Elizabeth Haynes books as they have become available and enjoyed them all. This book is a slight departure from her other books in that it focuses on the actual business of police work - in this case a major crime investigation - and it brings into the limelight the usually unseen, often unknown, sometimes un-regarded, always un-sung but always essential work of the Crime Analyst. Having personal experience working in this environment, I found this book to be accurate, compelling and fast paced. Like Tom Clancy in the Defence and National Security genre, who writes great fiction based on accurate field-craft, this is a great depiction, in a fictional framework of a major crime investigation. Absolutely cracking. More please Elizabeth.
on 30 October 2013
I loved Into the Darkest Corner, wasn't too enamoured with Revenge of the Tide, but loved the last, Human Remains and eagerly anticipated this one.

I have the say that this fell a little flat for me somehow. There is something distinctly lacking overall; there isn't the wow factor and even the psychological suspense, but more police procedures and analysis, which then, ultimately, leads on to a lot of repetition of the events which we have already read about.

I do like DCI Louisa Smith, but leading up to halfway through the book there was one massive clue as to who the murderer was, which the Police sadly overlooked, but from that point on I knew who it was which sadly took a little of the edge off it for me. The Police were missing vital clues, which to me were glaringly obvious, and I felt that someone as clever as Lou should have and would have picked up. I know she was distracted with events in her personal life but as a professional she wouldn't have missed this.

I thought the whole Maitland family were a little weird and was left wondering why Nigel conducted the business that he did. All very strange really.

All in all a well written novel but but, like I say, sadly lacking a little something.

As I like Lou Smith I will definitely be reading the next in the series but hope the next book has a little edge to it.
on 9 January 2016
Easy to read and entertaining. Not a great brain boggler, but still enjoyable.
on 17 October 2015
Great book but be warned there are lots of characters to try and remember!
on 16 October 2013
I had this book on a pre-order and although I was reading another book when this was downloaded I stopped reading it and started on Elizabeth's new book and read all of her previous one's.
I devoured it in just over 24 hours as once I had started I needed to know who had killed Polly and was it a suicide??
I got caught up in the characters and once again you get taken in by them and how they all intermingle with one another and the way that Elizabeth sets a scene is second to none and I could practically smell the stables!!
So looking forward to the next on this series or just another Elizabeth Haynes book!!
on 6 January 2016
A good read, my first time with this author. Would recommend this book.