Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

on 5 March 2014
Other comments have said this book contains conflicting theories and hence lacks useful conclusions. I didn't find this. It does cover a broad range of topics, so I can see why some might find it lacks direction. But there is a common theme to all the subjects - that activity is essential for health. Any "conflicts" are just honest and accurate quoting of studies - things are rarely as straightforward ase we would like.

Of particular interest is that you can be sedentary without realising it - doing an hour or more of exercise every day doesn't change the fact that many hours of sitting down does you harm (you are still sedentary despite the exercise!)
This book is full of essential information and inspiration (assuming you are inspired by facts more than by shallow, emotive arguments.)

If you are sitting on the fence about whether to start exercising, buy this!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 January 2013
This is a thoroughly readable, informative and enjoyable book to read. Whilst it is true that is written in an informal style, the science is present on every page and is fascinating. Every chapter ends with a useful summary which explains how you can apply the scientific results to your own lifestyle. I found it really motivational, and plan to reread it every January to remind why I should make the effort to get out and exercise.
on 19 September 2013
Its a good book, I bought the kindle version and the thing is the studies seem to be jumping from one opinion to another. In any case, it is a good piece of information about exercise and I guess we need to hear about the contradictions in research. I did not like the information it contains about experiments on animals.
on 23 January 2013
This is a very useful, informative and motivating read. It reviews and summarizes a lot of different research very nicely and give good advice. I loved the book and would have given it five stars except that the author does not provide citations for the extensive amount of research covered. Otherwise great - get it!
on 15 September 2013
This is not a science book. The style is conversational and there is no data to interpret. There are quotes from experts, and conclusions from some studies are cited. There is a clear message that we are built to be physically active, and can only function healthily if we maintain our activity levels.
Bravo!
on 19 January 2013
This book goes over the recent science of how best to exercise. Like, not doing the traditional stretches to warm up... it makes you weaker and the fact that drinking chocolate milk is the best way to recover your muscles after a heavy workout. It really make me think about how much more exercise I need to do and was actually convinced to do more!

There is quite a lot of science covered, it is explained pretty well although I admit I think I might have struggled slighlty if I didn't have a good science/ biology backgound to start with.

There are ideas for exercises to help get over old injuries and the best ways to to do high impact training.

Generally, I would say this is a good read if you are already interested in this sort of thing and interested in science if not I would leave it.
on 12 January 2014
If your time is scarce, you are not a professional athlete then this book will help you maximize your workout from the perspective of health benefits.

It is not all that condensed but I like the language (full of humour) hence it reads relatively fast.
on 6 January 2013
This downloaded fine on my kindle and I read it with interest in just a couple of days. It has had an immediate and positive effect on my activity levels, and as well as that I foundthe engaging way the author led me through the details of the science irresistible.
on 30 November 2014
Motivating book. I have read it through several times and I find it most interesting and absorbing. I use it for inspiration when I exercise. Very informative and useful with a different point of view.
on 8 October 2013
As a medical doctor, scientist and qualified sports coach I just loved this book. It managed to be funny, engrossing and must be one of the best researched and referenced books I have read. I think this book makes brilliant reading for anyone interested in the world of sports and exercise science. Many myths are exploded, the style is conversational, and the messages memorable. Thank you Gretchen!