TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 March 2015
This is a really compelling adventure story which I ate up in two days of reading. It tells the story of Kester, the only hope to save the last animals in existence, and his fight against the terrifying FACTO corporation. It blends elements of environmentalism with aspects of a thriller and plenty of humour to lift the darker elements of the story. It's a cracking read for 7-12 year olds.
on 27 May 2017
Just finished the second novel and am loving the trilogy...

I'm a girl of 13 whose mum got me the first of the 3 books about a week ago and I have already finished the second. I love the series! I love the way it expresses the points of view of animals and how they try to solve the problems they have, caused by humans, some using the help of a boy while others believe they can do it on their own. I am a nature lover and you don't know how much I would love to be able to talk to animals! My favourite of the two I've read so far is the second because of the Iris Capsule. It's a book loaded with adventure and I simply couldn't put it down.
on 23 March 2018
Dystopian future that's somehow a bit softer around the edges versus the likes of the Hunger Games but no less readable. Characters hugely likeable, pacing exquisite and definitely enough in there to drag you into the next volume. Lots for children to think about in terms of ecology and how we treat the world (and each other). Loved it.
on 5 February 2016
I really enjoyed reading this to my two girls (aged 7 and 9). The story takes a little while to warm up and get going, but once you're on the journey the story rolls along at a good pace.

The white pigeon adds a fantastic touch of humour to the story and had us literally laughing out loud a number of times. I can't think of many books we've shared that can claim to do the same!

We moved straight into the the sequel, and I look forward to completing the trilogy. I also suggested this to a class teacher that is reading this with her class and they are loving it too!
on 17 May 2015
In a world where animals no longer exist, twelve-year-old Kester Jaynes is locked away in a home for troubled children, and told there's something wrong with him. So when he meets a flock of talking pigeons and a bossy cockroach, Kester thinks he's finally gone a bit mad... Gripping, funny, pacy, original, poignant - a fantastic road trip adventure without a road in sight.
on 8 December 2017
this is a really good adventure story. Interesting and well written. It has a full stop at the end of every page so you can stop at the end of a page. Really good story and it makes me read it a lot. (age 9)
on 29 August 2017
Excellent book to read to year 5.
on 22 June 2017
My child aged 10 gave up the reading after a few dozens of pages, because it was depressing. It might become wonderful later on, but if you are looking for a pleasurable reading, this book is not.
on 1 October 2017
This book made me cry on the train home from London. It is so brilliant. Such an incredible story of friendship and bravery!
on 2 December 2015
I bought this for an almost 10 year old and decided she wouldn't be able to handle the seriousness of the conservation themes: loss, death etc. That said, I think my almost 12 year old will lap it up........quest + animals + good characterisation.......and No final resolution.