on 5 February 2013
I didn't know what to expect when I bought this book - I just saw that it was selling incredibly well, and was intrigued by the concept.
How glad I am, that I discovered it! I read it in two sittings. From start to finish the book is light-hearted, yet covers all manner of human conditions; from wonderment to frustration to tragedy. Never taking itself too seriously - after all, it resulted from an argument on Facebook - this book charts the thoughts and feelings of one man on his daily commute - and through him, reveals all those little things that you or I might think about, that we assume no-one else does! Like why does the hairdresser just HAVE to chat to you constantly, and is product X REALLY 'New And Improved' - or are they just writing that on the box?!
I really, thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a tiny glimpse into the author's soul, as well as his morning commute. What makes a regular person tick - what is happening in his life, what upsets or annoys him, combined with a dash of off-beat philosophy.
I'm really looking forward to the next instalment, and I think that in ten, or twenty, or fifty year's time, this book will still be interesting - a window into what life was like for a typical London commuter.
And I have to admit, I also misheard the lyrics to 'Living On A Prayer' the first time - and for years (and years, and years!) I used to sing (sadly): "Gina was-a dying of aids..."
I dare you NOT to hear that the next time you play it!
:0)
2 people found this helpful
on 12 January 2018
This is a nice, easy, quick read. Based on observations a commuter makes on his daily train journeys to work, it covers a wide range of different anecdotes; mostly humorous and some more serious, but great to read in small manageable chunks. The kind of book you can pick up and put back down without worrying about remembering what you last read! I'll be looking out for the other installments.
on 11 April 2016
Had this book for ages now , well down on my to read list on kindle . Well it finally got to the top and it's quite a good read ! The idea is simple , the author commutes most days and realised that most of his travelling companions sleep on the train and he decides to not waste his time sleeping but to write a book . Most of the chapters are of a similar length and some a quite amusing others thoughtful . A good idea for a book and ideal to read whilst travelling. .. Instead of sleeping !!!
on 29 June 2013
I thought the idea behind writing this book was a great way for the author to make himself write his book and I really enjoyed much of the content as I think it was very easy for the reader to identify with many of the issues. Some parts of the book were downright hilarious (e.g. the bit where he's not happy with a certain product, but he's not going to mention the shop in question for fear of repercussions - I thought this was so well written and absolutely hilarious.) I did find it hard to identify with some of the characters mentioned - I guess because we don't really know much about them as people and I suppose the concept of this book doesn't really give the author the opportunity to introduce these characters in more detail, but overall, I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was great fun, light-hearted and really easy to read.
on 29 January 2013
Not, for me at any rate, a laugh out loud book, just a gentle diary of observations and thoughts - which is exactly what it purports to be.

But, I found the bit about supermarkets having to hide their cigarette displays spot on. What moron came up with that one (and I say that as a non-smoker)?

OK, then, I'd better come clean: I actually began to find the book a bit boring and stopped reading about half-way through. But not wanting to be disparaging, put the first paragraph of my review on here.

A couple of days later, finding I'd got nothing suitable to read I picked up my Kindle and decided to give As They Slept another go. That was when I put the second paragraph on (even though I still hadn't got to the end)!

As I continued reading I found the book getting more and more funny - the bit about supermarket checkouts, the artificial Christmas trees and de-icing the freezer. Then came the bit where I cracked - the dog chasing the contents of a smashed pickled onion jar around the kitchen floor - hilarious and, despite my opening words, Laugh Out Loud Funny.

So the review you are now reading is my third edit. I've also changed the review title and increased the rating from 3 stars to 5.

I note the author mentions the probability of a second volume sometime in 2013. I, for one, can't wait.
on 31 January 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed As They Slept. What a brilliant and unique way in which to write a book! His astute and witty observations on life have succeeded in making a series of seemingly ordinary events into incredibly entertaining ones. I also particularly love the quick turnaround of this book, and, by the sound of it, the next instalments between writing them and publishing them - finished writing it one week, published the next. He's not wasting time with edit after edit, nor discussing revisions with editors (not that it needs ANY editing or revising) but it makes the writing feel even more fresh and original, which is a rare and exciting treat. I'm really looking forward to following his commute for the rest of his year. Great stuff, Andy.
on 9 April 2016
As a fellow Commuter, I totally 'Get' this book. I too sleep but only some mormings, alternatively I read. At present, Andy's book. His dry, witty observations are spot on. I also emjoyed the bits about his own life. Sorry to hear about Gramps. I read something at my Dad's funeral so I can empathise.
I thoroughly recommend this book and plan, in time, to read his other follow up books.
on 14 February 2013
The most common time for me to read is when I go to bed and lately my reading list has been a little heavy with Richard Dawkins, Neitzche, and Kant. So i was looking for something wistfully humerous and easy going... I found it.

This isn't high art, this isn't deep philosophical reasoning, it is a nice lighthearted romp through someone's daily commute, it's interesting, funny, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Not only is it well written but I actually didn't want to put it down and indeed fell asleep with my kindle on my face. Well worth it, it would be a steal at twice the price. Highly recommended.
on 10 February 2013
Andy is a nice bloke, a likable, decent chap. He writes well about trivia encountered while enduring hour long morning commuting. His thoughts, though trite, are amusing. He is obviously learning the skill of weaving a yarn that keeps you interested in reading just one more page. Yes I would recommend this small though perfectly formed offering from Andy, and yes I look forward to the next instalment of a glimpse into the life and thoughts of a very promising new writer. If Andy Leeks ruled the world, it would be a better place.
on 20 June 2013
The content was slightly different to what I was expecting. Not entirely sure what I was expecting, but being given what is essentially a diary was a little different to the sweeping stories I had imagined.

I do hold respect for the reasons this has been written, and the fact that it has been written whilst communiting. I did not however appreciate all of the authors contemplations on life, and what happened at the weekend. Do not be too unexpectant though, as I did continue to read the entire issue, given that it was quite a short read.

All that being said, thanks for entertaining me none the less.