on 25 June 2015
I think this is a good guidance of not only how to manage projects but also how to manage an organization more effectively as well as how to handle poorly managed projects. This guidance is more useful to someone who has many years of experience in a larger organization than let’s say students or if you work for a small company or a startup where projects are more likely to be managed more efficiently with less communication issues (otherwise the startup would not survive). Everyone who worked for a large company can relate to the pitfalls and problems immediately. Even if you are not the project lead, this book helps how to demand a proper plan from your project manager. It covers the range from planning (including preparing for risks) the project, how to lead teams, chairing (and participating in) meetings effectively as well as facilitating teamwork. This book also includes useless tips like “keep improving yourself” but luckily they are in the minority.
The last chapter provides a useful overview of sources and organizations to help you to improve your (project) management skill further. Hint: just google for “project management”…

I purchased the Kindle edition of this book last year; as I write this review, it doesn’t seem to be available anymore.
on 7 March 2014
I am an experienced PM but as with all things, when running a program/project one forgets the little things that make it all run that much smoother.
This book gives that little kick in the pants to remind you what you did when you were keen to impress the boss and now that I am the boss it is nice have something to remind me.
Easy to read, it won't make a PM out of you but at least you shouldn't fall into all of the "bear traps" waiting for you (just a few of them).

You can't teach experience but hopefully you can learn from it.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 September 2009
There is a good reason that this book is always near the top of the project management books - it is just a very good reference book for project managers, easy to read, easy to digest and easy to reference. All my project managers are encouraged to have a copy close to hand.

Peter Taylor
[]

The lazy project manager: How to be twice as productive and still leave the office early
2 people found this helpful
on 16 September 2010
This book serves project managers that want to liberate a bit from a process-heavy mindset. It is also a great resource for newbies to get an idea of what are typical boundaries for a project manager role.

I found it relatively jargon-free, realistic, and a good resource when I just want ideas to work from. It is not a complete how-to that will outline the steps for a successful project. Rather, it is a wayfinding tool to get you thinking about the right things that you can then work into more formalised processes.

Refreshing and quick.
One person found this helpful
on 23 September 2016
Great book. A lot of the content is covering the basics, but the way it is presented and broken down is very helpful.
on 28 October 2016
Ok, but not as I expected, this is for real beginers
on 18 July 2015
Useful book when starting out in Project Management. Got some useful tips.
on 3 February 2016
Good, but scarcely brilliant
on 23 February 2013
A good book recommended to me by my line manger. Captures the basics of project management well, a handy reference guide to keep by your desk.
3 people found this helpful
on 27 September 2013
I really wanted to write a review sooner but I fell asleep every 3rd page so it has taken me months to read - great book, quite entertaining text - It made me decide to do something completely different as a career though!