Format: DVD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 December 2012
In 2007 James Balog started a multi-year initiative called "Extre Ice Survey" (or EIS), targeting glaciers in Iceland, Greenland and Alaska where he placed about two dozen cameras to document what is happening to glaciers around the world. Director Jeff Orlowski and his team tagged along and the results of this are captured in "Chasing Ice".

"Chasing Ice" (2012 release; 76 min.) feels like a National Geogprahic special, and this is not a surprise (nor a complaint) in that James Balog started a pre-EIS project in partnership with National Geographic. Once it became clear to Balog that this could be something very special, the project was expanded into what would become the EIS. This movie was shot over a period of almost 4 years, and the patience with which this movie came about really pays off. If you think this is some one-man show, you will be surprised to see how many people became involved with this, and what the techological challenges were and how they would need to overcome (the most obvious one being: how to shelter the cameras from the relentless weather elements). Once the cameras are positioned, they were to make photographs every 30 min. during the daylight hours. When you collect the thousands of pictures into a time-lapse film, the results are nothing short of astonishing. In addition to the time-laps photography, there is various video footage as well. Sometime you need to be a little lucky, as when a team goes out in the hope of catching the "calving" of a glacier (when a huge piece breaks off), and then actually catches it on camera (the concluding part of the movie is primarily the jaw-dropping footage of a "calving" the size of lower Manhattan from a glacier in Greenland).

In all, I can't say enough about this movie. I was initially a bit skeptical of going to see this due to the rather short length, but all I can say is that I am very glad I went anyway, as this movie will without a doubt blow your mind, as it did mine. "Chasing Ice" is HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 17 June 2013
I came away disappointed, I had been anticipating this video for 6 months when I saw the first trailer. However, this is a film about the film, but you can't buy the film (the footage about the melting glaciers). This is like the second DVD that accompanies an extended version with interviews of the cast and crew about how you got this or that shot. I was expecting a nature documentary showing of the footage from the many timelaps cams installed next to glaciers. Some of the footage shown was actually shown as part of footage from keynotes given at summits. Not even in the extras did they include the timelaps shots in a systematic way. Important and mind changing work, but not what I wanted, I wanted to see the timelapses, not a movie about making them. Perhaps I didn't read the product description well enough ;-)
on 7 April 2015
This should be shown on prime-time TV! The world needs to see the evidence recorded in this DVD before it's too late, if it's not already. The filming is magnificent and the bravery (or was it foolishness?) of James Balog is inspiring. We saw this at a small local cinema event and then came home and bought the DVD so that we can led it to others. Highly recommended viewing for everyone.
on 26 May 2016
Inspiring documentary with stunning visuals of the ice. At under £4 it is an absolute bargain.

While it is an American documentary, and therefore, in my mind, has a tendency to linger a little too long on the personal and emotional aspects of the making of the documentary, there is no denying Balog's passion for capturing this subject matter. He does so with a simple but highly effective technique that results in some knock out time-lapse imagery that also provokes you to think about where we are heading as a planet.

At a price comparable to a cup of coffee, this comes fully recommended.
on 13 October 2013
Amazing self sacrifice to make this film, the findings are deeply disturbing re. Climate Warming. The photography brilliant, I would buy it for that alone. So glad there are people who care about our grandchildren's planet.
on 10 October 2013
If one wonders if global is real and amongst us, and thinks that scientific proof isn't enough (or scientist are lying) this documentary is a visual proof of the effect of global warming. A chilling warning to what is happening in our time scale, years not decades!
A must see documentary!
on 26 March 2015
Technically brilliant piece of filming by a man who knows his subject. The final part of the filming just goes to show the power of the changes that are happening to our World. These might be caused by our life styles added to something which in the end is a natural future for the centuries ahead. This film has been made by team devoted to being on the spot for cataclismic events. We should take note!
on 2 March 2014
Beautiful, stunning, thought provoking. Needs to be seen! Should be on the school curriculum.

Not sure what can be done, but something needs to be done before we have no glaciers left! And fast!
on 14 April 2014
This is a stunning video not just because of the incredible dangers involved in creating it but to eliminate any doubt about what we as a race are doing to destroy this planet and meteorologists just fail to agree. I'm planning to show it to the school children who come to our church and their parents and teachers in the hope that they will spread the word before its too late.
on 10 February 2014
A film that informs us about climate change using the story of one man and his teams courage. The images are breathtaking and blow away any doubts about the reality of climate change. A must see for all who care about our future on planet earth. I saw it on the big screen last year in IFC in Dublin but watched this DVD with friends and saw and learned even more this time.