Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

Of the two shows that the USA Network debuted in 2011, Suits was by far my favorite. I couldn’t wit for season two to start, and I enjoyed it just as much as season one, even if the focus was different.

The show revolves around the New York law firm Pearson and Hardman. Specially, we follow Harvey Specter (Gabriel Macht), one of the high powered partners in the firm and his young associate Mike Ross (Patrick J. Adams). Just one catch. Mike never went to Harvard Law, the law school that everyone who works at the firm attends. In fact, he never went to law school at all.

As the season opens, Mike and Harvey are worried that Jessica Pearson (Gina Torres) has discovered their secret. But that quickly becomes a back burner issue when Daniel Hardman (David Costabile) returns to the firm. Honestly, I had wondered about the Hardman in the name since we never met him in season one. Suddenly, our characters are involved in a power struggle for the very firm they all profess to love. Caught in the cross fire are Harvey’s secretary Donna (Sarah Rafferty) who finds a damaging piece of evidence, paralegal Rachel (Meghan Markle), and Louis (Rick Hoffman), who still really wants to be made a full partner in the firm.

Season one was very much case of the week with some on going stories. That flew out the window here. Yes, there are some cases that only last one episode, but almost everything seems to center around the power struggle for the very heart and soul of Pearson and Hardman. While our heroes might gain a victory here or there, it usually seems like they are fighting an uphill battle against an adversary who knows what their every move will be, probably because he does because he has worked with them before. It definitely gives the show a different feel and even a different focus. We are more focused on Harvey than on Mike like in season one.

Despite the high stakes of the season, there is still time for witty banter. Mike and Harvey are fun together, letting movie quotes fly. But the real star in the one liner category is Donna. It’s not only the words she says, but the delightful way she delivers them. She is a scene stealer, and wisely they upped the number of scenes she’s in.

Of course, there are other things going on, like Mike’s grandmother’s declining health and Rachel’s attempts to get into Harvard to become a lawyer herself. Before the season is over, we even get to meet her father.

And Mike and Rachel? They’re still on again off again with one roadblock after another in their path. Will they ever figure things out?

Earlier, I praised Sarah Rafferty’s delivery as Donna, but the entire cast is very strong. I’m also going to single out Louis because the character is so slimey. Rick Hoffman does a great job of bringing him to life while still making us care about him. And the show must be tiring to act in because so many of the scenes are very intense. It makes for very compelling watching, and I find myself looking forward to each new episode.

So obviously, if you’ve missed these sixteen episodes, this four disc set is a great way to catch up. The set features all the episodes in their native widescreen and full surround. As you’d expect from a recent show, they look and sound great. Looking for extras? You get the almost standard deleted scenes and gag reel here.

Season two of Suits is a wild ride. With how they left things, I can’t wait to see where we go from here.
Again humour with style, but now with darker storylines. The entire legal firm comes under threat. Not just because Mike Ross is practising law although unqualified. Far worse! Daniel Hardman, the partner ousted five years ago, is back and determined on revenge....

16 episodes at the firm where people seem to spend more time jostling for power than actually dealing with cases. Brash Harvey Specter remains obsessed with securing his name on the door, his progress owing much to maverick Mike's skills and phenomenal memory. (Their banter is great, Patrick J. Adams' timing a particular pleasure.) Most of the cast are on fine form. David Costabile - his acting subtle - is excellent as the others' Public Enemy No.1. Donna continues to delight, she the secretary so entertainingly usually one step ahead. Jessica convinces as a force to be reckoned with. Louis achieves the near impossible - so often horrible (especially to poor Harold), yet somehow securing our sympathy.

All the main characters face challenges, sometimes movingly. (Check out Mike in Episode 10).

Although so much is good, it has to be confessed things taper off a little towards the end. Those two caricatures of Englishmen are embarrassingly out of place. Also it is as though somebody decreed, "Let's spice things up a bit!" - both Harvey and Mike suddenly involved in tacky encounters that do the season no favours.

Interesting bonuses. One shows how Toronto successfully doubles for New York. The "Punch Reel" is fun. Especially enjoyed are Disc 3's extra features - a succession of playlets, most of them gems.

This is a fine series, hopefully not destined to come adrift with self-indulgence. It would do no harm if more cases were seen. One here concerns a hit and run driver involved in a fatal accident when high. This causes problems for Mike - we appreciating all the more why he is so devoted to his grandmother. At present there is plenty of gloss and wit. Perhaps in future a little more substance and less fighting for supremacy at the workplace?

Such reservations are mild. For three successive evenings Season 2 was thoroughly enjoyed, the five stars justified.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 19 November 2015
I think this is one of those series that you really need to watch right from the start to understand what's going on, so if you're thinking of starting with Season 2, I'd recommend going back and starting with Season 1 Episode 1.

The good about this season?
Lots of good about this season! Sleek, sharp, witty, good pacing, good acting, very clever script / characters, and every episode I was left wanting to know "what will happen to the characters and the firm next?" which is always the sign of a great show for me.

The not so good?
Two things:
1.) Sometimes I feel like the stories are too smart for me to follow so at times I just let the stream of lawyerish language wash over me without understanding it all, but that's more my problem than the program's I think.
2.) I don't know if it's because I watched the whole season an episode a day, but at times I found it to be a little repetitive in certain elements, specifically I thought it was a little oversaturated in shouty heated confrontations and "we win - that's what we do!" speeches.

Overall:
Despite being a teeny bit less enjoyable for me than Season 1, this is still a well-above-average series with characters I've come to care about - even Louis who's become surprisingly likeable in his "person you love to hate" kind of way! I'm definitely going to be watching Season 3 to see what happens next!
This is even better than the first year, picking up the pieces from Season Ones cliffhanger ending and racing forward from there in the same blur of drama and gags that works so well.

Whilst our boys still deal with various individual cases such as sports contracts, fraud, libel, hit and runs etc etc, there's more long running storylines and cases this year which makes it a more cohesive whole. Early in proceedings we're introduced to the Hardman in Pearson and Hardman for the first time and that's your major season long story arch right there as a power play for the firm begins and everybody has to choose a side.

There are some added layers to the various characters, especially Harvey and Mike of course, but also for the likes of Donna (still awesome) who has a very welcome expanded role this time out. Even more complex romantic entanglements feature heavily for everybody - even Louis gets in on the act (yep even Louis). A fair bit of personal tragedy is thrown into the mix as well as the show still displays that expert blend of veering from hilarious to serious and back again in a heartbeat.

When things look to be slowing ever so slightly in the latter stages, the always great Wendell Pierce rocks up in a particularly brilliant episode which in turn leads into this seasons endgame and many fun threads for Season Three. Fantastic stuff.
on 18 May 2013
If you've had an opportunity to watch Suits Series 2 only on "Dave" I'd strongly recommend that you buy the DVD set. I have been shocked to discover how mutilated each episode has been which appears on Dave. Given the importance of word-play and verbal repartee to Suits, watching the episodes on DVD has been a revelation: the episodes make better sense, are more coherent, and are much more intelligible. I think it's a shame that there has been such heavy and clumsy redaction by Dave, just to create space for their banal advertising.

Compared with Series 1, the tone in Series 2 has been more serious and the relationship between Jessica and Harvey, to my mind, unpleasantly fractious at times. I preferred the lighter, more frivolous tone of the first series. Having said that, unlike some other reviewers, I liked the adversarial combats between them and Daniel Hardman (played with such evident relish by David Costabile!). I look forward to Series 3 but will skip the Dave broadcasts and inevitable mangling, and wait for the Series to be released on DVD.
on 24 June 2014
Let me start off by saying that this TV show is absolutely awesome, it keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time. I purchased the third season first bearing in mind I saw the first two seasons on Netflix and I decided to buy the complete collection. When I received season 3 it was well package no bits broken off, season 1 also arrived nicely packaged and no bits broken off and then there's season 2 and lets say only one disc fits perfectly in the slot. I've known people who have used amazon to purchase 50+ items and about 5 are poorly packaged. It's just not right sometimes because you pay so much for an item only to find out that the packaging hasn't protected it one bit. This is only the first time it has happened but if it continues on a regular basis I'm going to have to stop purchasing stuff off Amazon.
on 19 October 2013
Well... Suits STILL haven't put in an option for subtitles?! (I mean come on... why?) But that's the only complaint I have about the DVD :)
I love the series and hope it continues, it's very well scripted, and in season two you get to see the relationships between the characters grow more. It's one of those shows where there's always something going on which will affect several characters, but you never know how it will until it all unfolds. And even when something bad happens you're waiting for our guys to make it work in their favour and turn the situation round again.
It's got great wit and brilliant acting and on top of all that you've got Gabriel Macht in a sexy suit!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2014
After watching all the episodes of Suits from the beginning I just had to add the DVD versions to my Library. I bought seasons1 & 2 and later on I'll be purchasing season 3. To watch the programme without advertising interference is great. The two main characters, Harvey and Mike are so slick and Donna and Rachel are just drop dead gorgeous. Lewis' role is sometimes a bit unbelievable for a top law firm but he acts it well. My wife and I are absolutely delighted with what we have got so far and we are anxiously waiting for season 3. If you have followed Suits from the beginning or just watched now and then on TV, you really should get the DVD's.
I appear to be the odd one out in this review as I don't think series 2 is anywhere near as good as series 1. When I watch a series about a legal firm I expect at least some law to come into it somewhere. This series seems to be all about in house fighting and very little about actual cases.
Having said all this I still enjoyed the characters and Harvey and Mike bounce off each other brilliantly. I am patiently waiting for Season 3.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2014
I cannot wait for Season 3 as this is one of the best series I have watched for a long time.

Gabriel Macht is perfectly cast as Harvey Specter, the lawyer everyone wants to be as is Gina Torres as Jessica Pearson as the touch-as-nails boss.

Scene-stealer Rick Hoffman as Lewis Litt - with his huge teeth and very manoeuvrable face - plays the pantomime baddie to perfection.

I didn't want the series to end!