Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.89

This tale isn't full of the hot sex and drama that many MM romances are all about - that's not a criticism in any way. There are sex scenes in it, but they're few and far between, and come at a point where they're meaningful and healing. The sex is more romantic than erotic, and did seem a tiny touch one-sided to me, but not to the leads, for their own reasons; the leads were very well-suited.

The leads are pretty much total opposites, but complement each other so well, and their relationship took time to grow out of friendship, into something lasting and loving. The author wrote all of the characters incredibly well, not that all were as likable as the leads, but from the preview of the next tale in the series, I had hopes that at least one of them might redeem himself.

It's a tale, yes, of MM romance, but also of love, friendship, loyalty, old fashioned values, and of compassion and the good that can still be found in human nature. It's a tale to be re-read.
on 17 December 2014
I followed another reviewer to this book and then saw so many positive reviews. I read the synopsis and thought "yeah".

Boy! I was not sorry to pass some time reading this. You can see details of the story with other reviewers, this is my opinion.

The story flows in such away you find yourself wanting to delve into the characters. They come alive off the page, whether it's the main characters or the "family" around them. The dialogue in between them is sharp, funny, loving and can be downright straight forward. It also shows people like they really are, not always sweetness and light. Sometimes jealous, mean or just plain sarcastic. Like when you speak before you think! We've all done that one time or another haven't we?

The story is told in the first person, which I normally don't like, but it works so well.

This is my first Z A Maxfield book and on the strength of it have already downloaded the second book in the series. The characters in the second book have played such a big part in the first book, they make you want to continue reading. Rather than you thinking to yourself,"Oh I have to buy another book" you find yourself wanting to know their story.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes romance. It is a m/m romance, which not to everyone's taste, but it brings all the elements, trials and tribulations of loving into a wonderful woven story.
on 11 September 2013
What a good romantic novel again it's been a pleasure to read as I've enjoyed every word that I read, and not ashamed to admit that I was quite weepy in parts of the story.
It's another fantastic read to pass on to the other people who like a good romance.
on 15 March 2014
This was a sweet, lovely, emotive story about 2 men, Malloy and Crispin, who are both, in some ways, outsiders but who find love together.

Malloy is a reserved man who was adopted by the Jenkins family as a young boy but who has always remained slightly out with the family circle despite the love and understanding of Mr and Mrs Jenkins. Crispin is a man who was raised by his Aunt and who sees the world in colours and a somewhat spiritual way.

Malloy discovers his love for another man and the 2 men find love and comfort with each other. The language used to describe Malloy's thoughts and feelings is beautiful and descriptive and you get a real sense of the depth of his feelings for both Crispin and the Jenkins.

However the language isn't flowery or unnecessary nor does it distract from the story; in fact it adds to the feel of the story and builds a picture of a beautiful love story
on 18 October 2015
Once upon a time there were lots of western novels. Now they are out of fashion. A pity. Gay cowboys or ranchers is a hard pitch because it is contrary to the stereotype.
This is good read which will leave you wanting to find out how it ends. The answer is in mid air rather asking for a sequel. Read and enjoy.
on 13 June 2015
2.5 stars.
It was alright...
Nothing about this story blew me away and I didn't particularly like the writing style.
The characters were nice, ok, nothing special. I didn't feel the chemistry between jefe and Crispin at all.
It was very long winded and drawn out.
Everything seemed overly maudlin and 'down'
on 14 February 2014
This was a beautiful story, I enjoyed every page. The story line is all about working on a ranch and the responsibilities that go with it but more that that it was about family being more than just blood. The Two main characters, Crispin and Speed both had difficult, troubled pasts and they found their home in each other. This may sound like a typical romance, yet it is so much more than that. These are tough cowboys not used to showing there feelings and they certainly got under my skin. The characters will keep your attention as will the story.
I have the second book on my Kindle and although I already know it is about two of the sub characters I am hoping to hear more from Crispin and Speed!
Recommended!
on 8 May 2014
I'd had the second book My Heartache Cowboy for review. Loved it and wanted to read more so bought this. Again its a riveting read, a mix of sensuality and romance with a great backstory. I have to have a good story backing a romance to enjy it and ZA Maxfield supplies an excellent one in both books. They're linked in that the characters all work on the same ranch and i was shocked at Jimmy's actions here - i loved him in Heartache, so to see what a jerk he was prior to that was a shock. Loved Malloy ( Jefe!) and Crispin, such contrasting characters and yet they work so well together.
on 23 April 2014
Malloy is a straight cowboy who is mesmerised by and falls in love, with a new colleague who is gay. ZAM's writing makes these characters so believeable that you care what happens to them and when tragedy strikes, you root for a solution that will keep them together.

I always hate coming to the end of a ZAM novel because I have always fallen in love with the characters and want to read more about them and their lives together. To me that is the sign of a great writer.
on 8 September 2014
This is a lovely gentle and romantic story that you can't help just falling in love with. There building romance and connection to each other is very heart warming as ZA Maxfield captures the characters, scenery and emotions from start to finish. Would definitely recommend and I'm looking forward to Jim and Eddies story.